PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

20 20s for 2020

Options

Comments

• Lurker1972
    Options
    Walks 2/20, with another couple anticipated over the weekend when we borrow the dog for a couple of hours.
    Unsubscribe is now at 5/20 - could be the quickest and easiest of the lot.... and hopefully will reduce the spend temptation!

Decluttering to start this weekend, having kept a few bits in December to give me a head start....it’s almost cheating, but then again, my game, my rules and I fully intend to tweak them as I go along!

Last night I went to a fitness class ( not one on my list) and came out feeling better than I have for sometime. While that’s probably most endorphins, think this is also part of it, taking charge again and focusing on what makes me smile. 3 days in & winning already!
    I do not make mistakes, I learn lessons.
    I work to live, not live to work.
    I love to live & live to love.
    Good enough is exactly that.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 January 2020 at 5:00PM
    Options
    My list is:-

1. Knit 20 balls of yarn (that's between 3 & 5 jumpers worth) 1/20
    2. 20 minutes a day learning French (via Duolingo and TinyCards)
    3. 20 minutes exercise a day for 20 weeks.
    4. Read 20 books
    5. Try 20 new dinner recipes
    6. 20 gardening sessions
    7. Explore 20 new places
    8. Attend 20 "shows" (concerts/plays/films/BBC recordings)
    9. Do the 2020 Fashion On The Ration Challenge and keep within the coupon count
    10. Phone family/friends to chat 20 times (I'm hopeless on the phone)
    11. Lose 20lbs
    12. Mend 20 items of clothing (yes, that includes sewing on buttons and taking up hems)
    13. Declutter 20 items
    14. Run 20 miles (but not all at once)
    15. Save 20 x £20 out of my “allowance”(£400)
    16. Make 20 site visits for work, earning mileage 20 times (it goes to the car fund)
    17. Write 20 blog posts (in 2019, I haven't managed one yet) 1/20
    18. Log 10,000 steps on my Fitbit on 20 or more days (harder to do than it sounds)
    19. Have a party in the summer and invite at least 20 friends
    20. Watch at least 20 programs that have been on the DVR since 2018

Just reporting in. So far, 1 skein of yarn knitted. Should have another completed shortly. (We’re away, holed up in a farmhouse in Normandy for a few days. Not doing much except eat, sleep and watch DVDs.)
    ajmoney wrote: »
    I feel like I am failing at the first hurdle. Made a start on the running, walking, reading and no tech challenges but the knitting project is proving tough. I got a free pattern years ago and some wool in October so made a start today while at my mum's so she could offer advice. Got the edging bit done but now going into the lace bit of the pattern and have given up. She tried to correct it 3 times for me and has also given up. She thinks the yarn might not be correct for the pattern but is confused as the pattern is a beginner one as says it should be easier. I have abandoned it for now and will revisit in a couple of months when I have maybe got more confident with my knitting and have practiced the pattern stitches away from it.

I feel for you. Lace is both easy and difficult: easy to do but an absolute beyotch to follow from a written pattern. Have you tried charting it out? If they don’t have a chart, I usually chart out my lace and cable patterns, so that I have a visual reference to follow - it’s considerably easier than following a written pattern. If you are a member of Ravelry, someone may already have charted it up and posted a photo of their chart. What are the pattern details, please? I’ll see if I can find it on there for you.

- Pip

ETA: I’ve also done a blog post. A first for the year and I’ve updated the sidebars on my blog, adding in the book that I’m currently reading as well as my current knitting project. (I’ve updated the tally above.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 33 spent, 33 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
    11 coupons - Harris Tweed jacket
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,224 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I made a start on the 3 x 20 mins of Welsh last night (through Duolingo). Was a bit of a cheat, though, as I already knew the greetings and have picked up all the names of food whilst shopping! Interestingly, I have realised that my ex in laws (English, but from mining families that must have moved from Wales) peppered their conversations with Welsh words...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of mine was about drinking 20 glasses of water a week :o currently I'm lucky if I drink one a week :o but I drank two yesterday. And thats the thing - no one's going to sue me if I don't do it all, but if it gets me on the right path (for values of healthier, feeling more energy, with clearer skin) then I'm happy :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I have revived my account with OpenLearn (I took my first degree with the OU and OpenLearn offers parts of units for free study....form introductory level upwards..I have registered with 3 courses so far, may add a couple more...all come with a certificate of completion at the end, and work through at your own pace) my first '20 minute' study session is complete!
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    I feel for you. Lace is both easy and difficult: easy to do but an absolute beyotch to follow from a written pattern. Have you tried charting it out? If they don’t have a chart, I usually chart out my lace and cable patterns, so that I have a visual reference to follow - it’s considerably easier than following a written pattern. If you are a member of Ravelry, someone may already have charted it up and posted a photo of their chart. What are the pattern details, please? I’ll see if I can find it on there for you.

- Pip

I will try and find a way to get it on here. I am going to try in the quiet of my own home with a yarn that doesn't split to see if it is even easier.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £600/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15893.61/£22787.04
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    veggie soup was lish - another 19 soup recipes to go :P
    have split my 2020 minutes decluttering into 20 minute recordable chunks and this morning did 3 in the kitchen. i had made huge inroads over Christmas and really starting to feel I'm winning. 3 open boxes of icing sugar into one old coffee jar, now suitably labelled. Also found some dried yeast, bb November 2019 so thinking i'll give it a try for my 20 times baking bread. so far so good :D
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a bit behind completing my list, so here we go:

16. Make 20 jars or bottles of preserves
    17. 20 visits to cinema, theatre or museum (excluding local museum where I volunteer)
    18. FINISH 20 craft projects
    19. Attend 20 open mics
    20. Donate 20 items to charity shops over the year

I've started on the daily 20 glasses of water by having one at each mealtime.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £323.97/1200
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    So I've made a start for January:
    1. 20 minutes of French on 20 days of the month (1/20)
    2. 20 minutes journaling each morning (4/20)
    3. Minimum 20 minutes tidying the garden on 20 days of the month
    4. 20 x 45 minute workouts a month
    5. Lose 20lbs (already managed 10 in the last six months doing the above so should be doable)
    6. Read 20 classic fiction books
    7. Read 20 non-classic fiction books (1/20) Salem's Lot by Stephen King
    8. Read 20 personal development/career books
    9. Declutter 20 items a month
    10. Identify 20 medium to long-term life goals
    11. Spend 20 minutes a day working on my career in some way
    12. Say yes to 20 social activities this year (without the customary moaning and attempts to side-step them)
    13. Suggest 20 social activities this year (don't just wait for everyone else, be proactive) 2/20
    14. Get involved at work 20 times this year (always some committee or another being formed)
    15. Try 20 new main meals (actually use those recipe books!)
    16. Drop 20 bad habits (not sure I have 20 but I'm sure I could find a few, like nibbling the skin round my nails)
    17. Finish 20 outstanding DIY jobs in the house 1/20
    18. See 20 performances/events
    19. Update blog 20 times a month
    20. Make unsolicited contact with others 20 times a month (I'm awful for waiting until others contact me) 2/20
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    succumbed to new fitbit yesterday which is now set up. it has a watch as well. so have reverted to 2020km walking across the year - so far i have done 1.16km :rotfl:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure