Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Debt free before August 2023 - Page 26

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debt free before August 2023

edited 3 December 2019 at 2:43PM in Debt Free Diaries
258 replies 12K views
1202122232426»

Replies

• Poppy1984Poppy1984 Forumite
    490 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Hi @savingholmes 👋 
    Thank you that's very kind of you to day. I'm sorry to hear you've had a little set back but I'm sure you'll get back to it in no time. 

I have to admit I'm feeling a tad demotivated after a couple of spendy months, we had a few nights away (very much needed but spent a bit more than we should have) and my DS needed a few bits and bobs for returning to school. I don't think I'll be able to make much of an over payment this month if at all so that's a bit demotivating but hey ho it is what it is. I am still able to pay my monthly contractual payment and I still have my EF and all my saving pots so things aren't as bad as it seems just because I can't make a big overpayment one month. 

I feel as though I've been lax with my shopping budget a bit too, my partner is spending a lot more time at my house and it feels u fair that he has to stick to my ridged shopping budget when he isn't in debt like me but if he gets some shopping in he'll get the "nicer more expensive" stuff and I end up going 1/2s then eating into my shopping budget. 

Don't get me wrong sometimes he'll treat us and I won't go 1/2s but I tend to feel guilty that my budget is so tight and I don't get a lot of treat stuff. Also I cook a lot from scratch and happy to eat whatever but my ds is a super fussy eater so I tend to pay more for food for him because he's so fussy but then my partner will eat it or see and and be like I thought you couldn't afford stuff like that and he gets annoyed that my ds is so fussy. He's my ds to a previously relationship and my partner has no children. I know I spoil my ds but he isn't spoilt he's lovely and well mannered and touch wood doesn't give me any bother so I'm quite lenient on him whereas my partner gets annoyed and tries to say I should be doing x y and z. The thing is fostering my relationship with My ds is more important to me than the things my partner fusses about. I'm well aware my ds will be leaving home in the not so distant future and Im really wanting him to stay in touch!!! 

Anyway I digress! So yea no real debt busting news at all, just plodding in. I hope I'm still on track to get it into the £10,000's by end of this year but I'll know more after the 16th where I'm at. 

My freezer is on the blink at the moment so I'm wondering if I might need to replace that soon (why is there always something) I've got £320 in my EF at the moment so I could buy one now but I think I'll try and make do until I really have to buy one and in the meantime save for one rather than using the EF. If it gets to the point where it completely breaks then I'll have no choice but to use the EF but if I start putting a bit aside each month now I could maybe get away with it. Only had the bloody thing 7 years you'd think they'd last longer than that!! 

I have a couple of social get togethers (all socially distanced of course) next month so that's going to be a little bit spendy again. 

Poppy :heart:
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    Debt remaining: £11,235
    Original DFD Aug 2024 New DFD Dec 2022
    490 posts
    ✭✭
    I can't decide whether to switch current accounts again. Lyods are offering a £100 switch bonus which would be great to pay off my loan, but it's quite a
    hassle changing banks and getting a new card and getting used to a new online bank set up. Also I think changing so frequently is hammering my credit rating. Not sure what to do for the best really. 

I need to have a cheap month next month the last 2 months I've not been able to over pay much. 

I feel like I'm getting so close yet still so far away to debt freedom. My aim is to start looking at houses something a bit bigger than I have at the moment with a garden in the next 12 months or so. 

• SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    501 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I did a recent switch for same reason but diff bank and it dropped 11 points which isn't much really. Only downside was due to post delays my switch had finalised before I received the new card and pin. Thank god for credit card. If you don't plan to be getting a mortgage for 12 months then I wouldnt worry about credit score as it will drop off again by then. The bank you are looking to switch to actually has one of simpler online banking systems I have found. 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - Now £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - Now £2250
    *Finance - £581.91 - Now £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - Now £4400
    Total debt *£6650* £12,416.71

Emergency fund = £1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
    490 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks @Sarahwithlove
    i could be tempted, yea I think mines took a hammering because I've switched bank and few times and recently switched mortgage providers. 

• SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    501 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It will readjust itself as the searches come off it. Mines been same due to bank change, utility company and phone contract all within last 6 weeks. But I know it will right itself again. 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - Now £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - Now £2250
    *Finance - £581.91 - Now £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - Now £4400
    Total debt *£6650* £12,416.71

Emergency fund = £1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    490 posts
    ✭✭
    Hello 👋 
    it's that time of the month where I need to come on and update my totals! 

So my new debt amount is £11,728 hopefully I'm still on route to get it into the £10,000 by the end of the year, I think I am. 

My saving pots are mounting up nicely, I usually start my Xmas shopping in October so my Xmas saving pot is about full ready to use from mid next month. 

My car pot is mounting up nicely for my service /mot which is due in November, there should be enough in there to cover any work that might need done 🤞 then it'll keep building up for my yearly insurance in March and my yearly Tax in May. 

My holiday pot is about 1/2 way for the break that was rearranged for next year (if that even goes ahead) 

There's £300 in my EF too. 

So I'm feeling in a pretty secure position at the moment. I just need to keep plugging away at the loan making overpayments when and where I can. 

I can't believe I have paid off £18,594 to date. It's taken me 2 years and 7 months to pay that off, so I'm really hoping I can pay the remaining off in 1 year and 3 months which would allow me to be debt free by the end of 2021 🤞😁

• joshiesauntjoshiesaunt Forumite
    100 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think you are doing brilliantly.  With the freezer, if it does go on the blink, check freecycle or Ebay/Fbook as they often have cheap working freezers which will tide you over until you have the money saved.
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Poppy. You are still on track. Well done. Consistency makes a huge difference.
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £18.590 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £780 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20