New neighbours don't get the etiquette

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 December 2019 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Now I know you're just arguing for the sake of it ... trespass IS NOT criminal damage - period. Parking your car on someone else's private land is trespass, and NOTHING MORE. (That's what Ed was pointing out/correcting - the fact you disputed that claim indicates that you believe it is criminal damage).

(If by parking your car on that land you CAUSED damage, then THAT could be construed as criminal. But the act of parking itself? Not a chance. If you disagree then please highlight the exact part of the website you linked that you believe supports your position).
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Now I know you're just arguing for the sake of it ... trespass IS NOT criminal damage - period. Parking your car on someone else's private land is trespass, and NOTHING MORE. (That's what Ed was pointing out/correcting - the fact you disputed that claim indicates that you believe it is criminal damage).

(If by parking your car on that land you CAUSED damage, then THAT could be construed as criminal. But the act of parking itself? Not a chance. If you disagree then please highlight the exact part of the website you linked that you believe supports your position).
    Are you on glue? Re read what I wrote. I wrote about criminal damage. And clamping. Both of which are illegal. One is more likely than the other (imho). Also, I quoted the CPS definition. The highlighted part would be the whole link. It's the CPS. ;)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If OP's still reading...how has it gone this week?

Any more shenanigans?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • JohnDorian
    Options
    Maybe your opinion JohnDorian but in my opinion it is highly important and relevant whether a course of action is technically legal or illegal; it actually makes a huge difference should the OP go down the route of parking on the neighbour's driveway.

I would imagine it is also of immense interest to everyone reading who has their own driveway!

The OP has issues parking in a public place. I doubt moving that in to private property will alleviate the situation.

No, it is not my opinion. It is simply a rebuttal to keyboard warrior suggestions. Go park your car in other people’s driveways and come back and tell us how your life is amazing. Until then stop telling the OP that parking in someone else’s driveway is a viable solution to a problem that they engineered.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 December 2019 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Are you on glue? Re read what I wrote. I wrote about criminal damage. And clamping. Both of which are illegal. One is more likely than the other (imho). Also, I quoted the CPS definition. The highlighted part would be the whole link. It's the CPS. ;)

No, I'm not on glue. You obviously can't read though, as you disagreed with what Ed said (remember - he was correcting the comments about trespass being illegal [it's not], but also mentioned about criminal damage) and then you posted a link to CPS - about criminal damage!

So why did you disagree with his statement when, in fact, you've actually agreed with him?

In case your memory is failing you, here are the posts in question, in order:
    I was just correcting the previous three posts that suggested parking on the driveway would be illegal (it is not), that she should expect damage (that would be illegal), that it would be clamped (that would be illegal), and that she could not park on the driveway as it was not her property (plainly wrong). Lets get the facts straight first.
    It not correcting if it is the case. And it's plainly obvious that it's illegal. It's also highly likely to occur(the damage, if not the clamping).

;)
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    I was just correcting the previous three posts that suggested parking on the driveway would be illegal (it is not), that she should expect damage (that would be illegal), that it would be clamped (that would be illegal), and that she could not park on the driveway as it was not her property (plainly wrong). Lets get the facts straight first.

When did trespassing become legal?
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    No, I'm not on glue. You obviously can't read though, as you disagreed with what Ed said (remember - he was correcting the comments about trespass being illegal [it's not], but also mentioned about criminal damage) and then you posted a link to CPS - about criminal damage!

So why did you disagree with his statement when, in fact, you've actually agreed with him?

In case your memory is failing you, here are the posts in question, in order:

;)
    It's not correcting if it is the case. Still.;) no failing memory here, just you and ed getting the wrong end of the stick even though it's there in black and white ^. I didn't mention trespass, just criminal damage which 1.) people know is illegal and 2.) some know is illegal but most know you Shouldn't go around clamping on moral grounds.;):cool:
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    When did trespassing become legal?
    It is a civil matter; not criminal. Damaging the car or clamping it would be a criminal matter.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    It is a civil matter; not criminal. Damaging the car or clamping it would be a criminal matter.

But it's still not legal to park on someone's drive is it?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Well this went south quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills