New neighbours don't get the etiquette

Options

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    But parking there isn't legal.

Depends on what you mean by legal; most people would view something illegal as that which would involve the police. A civil matter is not of the same order and not much could legally be done to remove someone else's car from a driveway that would not involve much time and expense.

How much longer do we have to flog this horse?
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by legal; most people would view something illegal as that which would involve the police. A civil matter is not of the same order and not much could legally be done to remove someone else's car from a driveway that would not involve much time and expense.

How much longer do we have to flog this horse?

Why not admit your original comment was incorrect?
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Why not admit your original comment was incorrect?

I think you are confusing illegal with unlawful; see:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/14436/what-is-the-difference-between-illegal-and-unlawful

"Various sources describe possible minor differences, such as that illegal acts are criminal acts, whereas unlawful acts may be contrary to some non-criminal law,"

Like I said it depends on your definition of illegal. It is NOT a criminal act to park on someone else's driveway; end of.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Like I said it depends on your definition of illegal
    The usual definition seems to be "I don't like it"
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    I think you are confusing illegal with unlawful; see:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/14436/what-is-the-difference-between-illegal-and-unlawful

"Various sources describe possible minor differences, such as that illegal acts are criminal acts, whereas unlawful acts may be contrary to some non-criminal law,"

Like I said it depends on your definition of illegal. It is NOT a criminal act to park on someone else's driveway; end of.

You're right it's not a criminal act but is isn't legal.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 December 2019 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Ed - it seems some people (Shaun and Scrapit for a start) don't realise the difference between illegal (e.g. criminal damage, charges raised by the police, and prosecuted in the Magistrate's court as a minimum) and unlawful (e.g. trespass, civil claim of tort raised by the landowner, and pursued in the County court).

So despite Scrapit's attempts at mockery, he's still the one looking foolish. ;)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You're right it's not a criminal act but is isn't legal.

Technically it is ... something can be Unlawful yet still Legal.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In July we went to a wedding in the West country about 150 miles outside London. Cheapest train ticket was £85/person with a large number of restrictions. total Public Transport cost would have been around £200 for 2. The 350bph 'tank' of a car that we went down in and used to get around in probably cost around £60.

And that is why people put up with the odd amount of sitting in a traffic jam.

Apart from when the trains decide when they are to run. One worker has a day off for whatever reason the gap is not filled, the service is pulled.
    No idea what 350bph is.
    Two journeys 150 mile plus inside London thats min 300 mile. Even the gov allows business part sibsidy of 45p/mile thats £135+. The actual running costs are much higher than 45p/mile, rear tyre wear per mile could be 5p per mile alone excluding any other wear and tare. Always overlooked people just see it as fuel used generally 1/3 the actual cost its cost you long term.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Ed - it seems some people (Shaun and Scrapit for a start) don't realise the difference between illegal (e.g. criminal damage, charges raised by the police, and prosecuted in the Magistrate's court as a minimum) and unlawful (e.g. trespass, civil claim of tort raised by the landowner, and pursued in the County court).

So despite Scrapit's attempts at mockery, he's still the one looking foolish. ;)
    In your opinion. Everyone else can tell who the Muppet is. Remember, I quoted the CPS. Bare in mind what they do and their role in law. You dropped a ball(ock) and are looking silly yet still persist. Tried re reading my posts yet?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hareng wrote: »
    No idea what 350bph is.
    A typo for 350bhp, I suspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing