New neighbours don't get the etiquette

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    But it's still not legal to park on someone's drive is it?

Shaun, my first intervention on this thread.. Nobody is saying it's legal but it's a civil offence and you're left on your own to enforce it.. Do we need to spell out the implications of that??
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Shaun, my first intervention on this thread.. Nobody is saying it's legal but it's a civil offence and you're left on your own to enforce it.. Do we need to spell out the implications of that??

EdGasketTheSecond is maybe you need to spell it out for him.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well this went south quickly.
    New around here?
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    1/ Does this space happen to be a turn around at the end of the road that should be kept clear?
    2/ Do you have a driveway to park on like your neighbour does?
    Hi we have just had new neighbours move into our area. There's a bit of an unwritten rule that everyone abides by with regards to parking. There is space for 3 cars that happen to be opposite this new neighbours driveway. I park in one of these 3 spaces. Yesterday I went to my car and a lady was putting a note on my car windscreen. She asked if it was my car and I said "yes" where by she told me that from now on I couldn't park there as she apparently couldn't get out of her driveway. I tried to explain that if I didn't park there then someone else would and that when her new house was unoccupied the neighbour had parked his massive truck in the drive and managed to get out easily. Anyway we had a bit of a discussion as she was quite rude. Anyway today, I was parked in my usual spot and one of her cars decided to occupy another spot. Fair enough, I came back and the idiot had moved forward and taken both car parking spaces. They have a driveway for 2 cars.
    I'm unsure as to how to go about this. There is literally no where for me to park if she takes this course of action regulaly and I certainly don't want to fall out with a neighbour over something so stupid. I don't like notes being sent as I personally find them pretty spineless and can be seen as aggressive. I really don't want to fall out with her over this, it's a harmonious road where everyone gets on. However, if she is going to be a idiot then what can I do. I'm happy to go into parking wars with her if she wants but I'd rather not, as it's a bit petty.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Actually that's a really good idea, and you could take that opportunity to remind her it is in fact ILLEGAL TO BACK OUT INTO THE MAIN ROAD. Yeap it's true folks
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Maybe suggest she reverses onto her driveway, if she feels she doesn't have the room or angle to reverse off her drive (with cars parked opposite)

Seems odd for her to target you, when the parking is a free for all.
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Of course it's a choice, lots of people CHOOSE to buy a property with no driveway yet own a car, then spend their whole lives !!!!!ing about parking. It's a choice like any other.
    elsien wrote: »
    Not really a choice as such though if you can't afford somewhere with its own drive but need a car for the job that you do.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Actually that's a really good idea, and you could take that opportunity to remind her it is in fact ILLEGAL TO BACK OUT INTO THE MAIN ROAD. Yeap it's true folks
    <raises eyebrows>
    Do go on with a reference to that...

If you're thinking of HC201, it certainly doesn't say "IT IS ILLEGAL", it doesn't use the magical words "MUST NOT", and it doesn't give any reference to a law prohibiting it.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

In fact, it actually tempers it even further...
    Rule 201
    Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
    (my underlining)

You want to compare to an actual legal restriction? Look no further than 203.
    Rule 203
    You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary.
    Law CUR reg 106
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    1/ Does this space happen to be a turn around at the end of the road that should be kept clear?
    2/ Do you have a driveway to park on like your neighbour does?

1/ Did you bother reading the thread at all. The OP doesn't have a drive of her own. You're welcome.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    EdGasketTheSecond is maybe you need to spell it out for him.

I don't know what your problem is but you will see in my post 149 that I clearly understand the issues whereas you seem confused. You can park on someone else's driveway and the police will not be interested because it is a civil offence not a criminal offence; hence if you want, you can cause a lot of headache for the landowner. I am not advocating that but just stating facts.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    I don't know what your problem is but you will see in my post 149 that I clearly understand the issues whereas you seem confused. You can park on someone else's driveway and the police will not be interested because it is a civil offence not a criminal offence; hence if you want, you can cause a lot of headache for the landowner. I am not advocating that but just stating facts.

But parking there isn't legal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport