Goodbye Sky.....

in TV MoneySaving
40 replies 4.7K views
Blackpool_SaverBlackpool_Saver Forumite
6.6K Posts
✭✭✭✭
I have finished with Sky, all paid up.

I now have the old style box which won't record, and I can't watch what I have previously recorded, ok fair enough.

I have a now tv stick, and an amazon stick, and am familiar with downloading and using apps etc.

I used to record Classic Corrie, and watch later.... I am trying to find a way to do that still for free.

Failing that, is ITV3 available on catch up to watch Classic Corrie, I have looked and can't figure it out.....help please.......
Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need an active Sky subscription to view your recordings or make new ones and to access ITV Hub on Sky.

You need to take the Sky box out and replace it with a Freesat HD recorder which will do the same job only without a need to pay Sky money.

Classic Corrie doesn't appear to be on catch up at this point in time.

Or you could just check what time its on (I think its 6am?) and get up to watch it live ;)
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As Neil says, a Freesat HD recorder will plug straight in where your Sky box was. If you want to add in all the catch up features, that turns into a 'FreeTime' box.
    If you've got an aerial, you could get a YouView box for recording, and the catch up stuff too, and you can get it cheaper than the above if you look at local adverts and get a BT YouView box from someone that has been given it by BT but doesn't need it.
  • Blackpool_SaverBlackpool_Saver Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    almillar wrote: »
    a Freesat HD recorder will plug straight in where your Sky box was. If you want to add in all the catch up features, that turns into a 'FreeTime' box.

How do I add them in please, is that by subscription?

Thank you for the replies both of you.

• knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can still record, pause etc on your Sky+ box if you pay #10 a month to Sky.
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    OP, the box should have the apps built in - the main channel ones are free. Only apps like Netflix, Now TV, Amazon etc. need a subscription.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do I add them in please, is that by subscription?

No, you buy the box, no subscription required. Unplug the Sky box, plug the Freesat box in. Same satellite connections and everything.
    Example (no idea on whether it's a good price):

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/humax-hdr-1100s-b-freesat-hd-smart-digital-tv-recorder-500-gb-10127622-pdt.html

As a general rule, you can get Freeview (aerial) boxes cheaper than Freesat (satellite) boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If your broadband is due for renewal, then Sky are(or were) offering a Sky HD+ box with recording enabled as long as you take up their broadband offer.
  • sal_IIIsal_III Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Just buy a DVD boxset there are even cheaper 2nd hand. If you don't have DVD player on your TV you can either RIP them yourself or download them, put them on a USB and watch on the TV.
  • Blackpool_SaverBlackpool_Saver Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the advice, I will go down the Freesat box route

• edited 9 December 2019 at 2:44PM
    Gizmo247Gizmo247 Forumite
    492 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    edited 9 December 2019 at 2:44PM
    Thank you for all the advice, I will go down the Freesat box route
    Well done for cutting the cord but buying a Freesat box will be a waste of money - it is a dead end. Recording Live TV just gives you catch up again so if you already have good enough broadband speed then you already have everything you need (Now TV plus everything else on the Firestick).

Sky pays channels to encypt their data thereby denying Freesat access. For example, Channel 4 is not available in HD on Freesat any more because Sky pay them to encrypt it. As OTT (direct broadcast to apps) accelerates then channels will start to be pulled from satellite (although BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5 will be required to stay). There is no guarantee that the HD variants will stay as they look to cut costs.

I would recommend you do catch up only over broadband and watch live TV via Freeview.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS