PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rewiring Query FTB

Options

Comments

• baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2019 at 10:49PM
    Options
    Newuser0 wrote: »
    Legend baldelectrican, really appreciate it!

I’ve gone ahead with a Hager consumer board 18 edition with surge protection.

I had to settle with click mode sockets and switches as I was getting quoted silly prices for the Hager :(

I’ve read decent reviews of click mode switches so hopefully I made the right decision!

I get Hager double sockets for £3

I prefer the Solysta hager white versions.

I would suggest you pay the slightly more and have the lights and central heating on seperate RCBO's
    A Hager RCBO is less than £30
    Search ADA306G - Hager cat no for a 6A RCBO

I would also suggest Prysmian cable- there are cheap foreign cable in the UK market at present.

You should also think about Cat 6 ethernet points.
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Newuser0 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you! What a wealth of knowledge!

I’ll run it past the electrician :)
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Thank you! What a wealth of knowledge!

I’ll run it past the electrician :)

Have you checked the electricain is registered with NICEIC / ECA etc?

You need to check on the compotent person site / NICEIC.COM site
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Options
    The person is registered with napit, which I’m guessing is equivalent?

I’ve not got a cat6 port but I am having a hdmi port
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    The person is registered with napit, which I’m guessing is equivalent?

I’ve not got a cat6 port but I am having a hdmi port

NAPIT are UKAS accredited

I would suggest you ask if the person is time served as an electrician, as you are in England / Wales you need to check this - people can do a few weeks / months at a college and call themselves electricians.

I had a look at the NAPIT site and they only list 'electricain'

The NICIEC and ECA have 2 levels of contractor;
    The first level is Part P only
    The higher level is Approved Contractor- you should use an AC
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Options
    I did get a quote off an Approved Contractor and it was coming in over £1000 more :/

I’ll ask the electrician how long he’s been doing it for, but I can see reviews online as far back as 7/8 years ago.

He also has the ‘trustmark’ not sure if that makes him sound any better - I feel like I’m trying to upsell him ha
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I did get a quote off an Approved Contractor and it was coming in over £1000 more :/

I’ll ask the electrician how long he’s been doing it for, but I can see reviews online as far back as 7/8 years ago.

He also has the ‘trustmark’ not sure if that makes him sound any better - I feel like I’m trying to upsell him ha

The AC has higher overheads- not £1000 worth

The difference in job spec may be around £400 if you change the acessories to decent ones and decent cable

Is this the guy that is suggesting LAP or BG? Most sparks run a mile from that (in my opinion)

My advice- trust your instinct

Is he an apprenticeship served contractor?

How many rooms have you- what spec have you for each room.

Can you post the spec (without any identifying information)
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Options
    Sorry I’ve rechecked differences is about £400-£500.

The AC I know has an apprentice at the moment, as he mentioned in conversation.

I’ve private messaged you full spec.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I use Aico 3016 smoke detectors plus Aico 3028 (dual heat / CO detectors if the kitchen has gas appliances)

I also use Click GU 315 (of which colour the client wants- I suggest white as the ceilings are usually white) as these are fire rated and have seperate lamps.

Steer clear of LAP lights.

Aico are good for smoke detectors, they are dearer but are very reliable

I charge at a fixed price per item on a rewire- it is swings and roundabouts , the Aico 3028 detectors are over £80 each but a light switch is less than £1
    It works out over the job and the client can see where things are

Are all the TV sockets going to a single point (such as a meter cupboard) so you can feed things all over the house using an amp.
    Do the fans have fan isolators?

The AC guy is training the next generation of electricians and his costs are higher (a third year apprentice is over £10 an hour)

This seems a large job for one person, did you check the other person is time served and is he working alone
    baldly going on...
  • Newuser0
    Options
    I’ll be using white spots not a fan of chrome.

I’ll check on smoke detectors and also check if the extractors are on isolators. Tv socket I have no idea about, so will also find out.

The napit electrician isn’t doing it alone, there’ll be 3 of them and he’ll also uses the prysmian cables.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure