PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rewiring Query FTB

Options
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on re wiring. I’ve just become an owner of a house and got the keys today! :money: :T

The house has a very old fuse box, so wanted to know if anyone can tell if re wiring has been done in the past. Our survey didn’t show it up as the vendors themselves were unsure.

Ive attached an image too, thanks in advance!

YenluQK

Comments

• Newuser0
    Newuser0 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    YenluQK
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I dont see any photos, it would be difficult to tell as a lot of houses have new consumer units but wiring has not been renewed..

How old is the property?
  • buggy_boy
    edited 8 November 2019 at 8:12PM
    Options
    I see it now, thats a wylex rewireable fuse box from about the late 60's-70's so doubt it has been rewired since then... Without doing tests though it would be impossible to state how good the wiring is and if it needed a rewire...

Check a pendant and see if the cable has twin and earth, if it just has twin then I would recommend a rewire... But really you need to get an electrician in, at the best you need a new consumer unit with RCD protection (You dont have to do it but thats like driving an old car without a seatbelt)
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    If you are completely renovating the property then now is a good time to do a rewire as it is an extremely messy job (presuming you want the cables cut into the wall..
  • Newuser0
    Options
    Thanks for your replies buggy boy! Sorry for the image, for some weird reason it wasn’t uploading via the url button.

I was intending on upgrading the fuse box as my first point of action. But as I am planning to plaster the whole house I thought - as you mentioned - to get it all done and then plaster it up.

The property was built approx 1935 and vendors were there for 30 yrs.
  • Newuser0
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong, I was hoping to read a lot of ‘it doesn’t need re wiring/wires look new’ comments ! Haha
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thzi8NF.jpg

Built 1935? Then, yes, it's been rewired... Probably about 40-50 years ago. 1930s would have been minimal amounts of cotton- or lead-covered wiring running in iron or steel conduits.

As for "does it need rewiring"...? Well, that depends. It's PVC, so it's not going to have deteriorated. It's minimal circuits, with rewireable fuses - so if something does go, it's taking a big chunk of the house out and you're fannying with a roll of fusewire with a torch in your mouth - and if you want to use anything outside, get a plug-in RCD... You could just fit a new RCD and breaker consumer unit. But are all the sockets and lights where you want them?
  • Newuser0
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Adrian.

I’m the last person who needs a blowout as I’d have no clue what to do lol

A few sockets are in weird places but I can live with that and the house doesn’t have an external socket. I just didn’t want to plaster the whole house and then have problems with the electrics and then have to mess the walls up again.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So if you plan on staying and want a safe home for yourself and family then now is a good time to completely rewire the whole house.
    Three or Four double sockets in every bedroom. Consider where the bed will go ! Maybe a socket behind the bedside cabinet.
    Maybe another higher up the wall for a TV and Sky box.
    One next to the mirror wardrobe for the hairdryer.
    Four/Five in the lounge and dining room.
    10 in the kitchen
    Security lighting and alarm system.
    New RCB fuse box
    I have just spent £3,000 on a house doing just that for the rewire and alarm, smoke alarms
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure