PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rewiring Query FTB

Options

Comments

• Newuser0
    Newuser0 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Dimbo!

Your info on where to put the sockets is very helpful!

£3000 sounds like a very good price to get all of that work done! May I ask the size of your house and where in the U.K. you are?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Newuser0 wrote: »
    Our survey didn’t show it up as the vendors themselves were unsure.
    That's not how it works I'm afraid.

Your surveyor would have said that as they were not a qualified electrician then they would recommend you to employ an electrician to check it over before purchasing. Now it's your house it's your responsibility no matter how old and dodgy the electrics are.
  • Newuser0
    Options
    YenluQK

Yes it was worded similar to that lol I didn’t want to moan about the electrics at that point because I was already getting a good deal.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've just had a rewire similar to Dimbo's (minus security system) but extras such as moving consumer unit, hard-wiring for oven, hob, showers, extractor fans and 4 double plugs in garage/utility. Total £4200, SW England.

It's also difficult to live in a house while re-wiring is done. You cannot underestimate the amount of fine brick and plaster dust produced and it settles for days. Electrical appliances, soft furnishings, clothes and kitchenware need to be protected. Having plasterers in afterwards produces more of the same!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Built 1935? Then, yes, it's been rewired... Probably about 40-50 years ago. 1930s would have been minimal amounts of cotton- or lead-covered wiring running in iron or steel conduits.

Yes my daughters house built early 80's has wiring into fuse box just like that and had the old fashioned type of fusebox as well which we got replaced with a modern one this past summer.
  • Newuser0
    Options
    I've just had a rewire similar to Dimbo's (minus security system) but extras such as moving consumer unit, hard-wiring for oven, hob, showers, extractor fans and 4 double plugs in garage/utility. Total £4200, SW England.

It's also difficult to live in a house while re-wiring is done. You cannot underestimate the amount of fine brick and plaster dust produced and it settles for days. Electrical appliances, soft furnishings, clothes and kitchenware need to be protected. Having plasterers in afterwards produces more of the same!

Thanks Ka7e, thank you for the price, it gives me a sort of idea of what to expect when I get an electrician in.

I’ve no intention of moving in until all the work is done. I lived in a house that had plastering down previously and there’s no escaping the dust!!
  • Newuser0
    Options
    Yes my daughters house built early 80's has wiring into fuse box just like that and had the old fashioned type of fusebox as well which we got replaced with a modern one this past summer.

I take it you didn’t get the re wiring done? If so, can I ask why? Thanks
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don’t get me wrong, I was hoping to read a lot of ‘it doesn’t need re wiring/wires look new’ comments ! Haha

Well.... The earth wires look fairly modern, so they probably don't need replacing just yet. But that fuse board (consumer unit) is well past its best.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 November 2019 at 11:03AM
    Options
    I had the job done in Manchester. On a two bed house.
    I had low energy down lights in bathroom and kitchen which must be done to stop condensation getting into the fittings.
    Gas hob but electric oven. Extractor hood, extractor fan in bathroom, mains wired interlinked smoke alarms, Alarm system with shock sensors on doors and windows downstairs.
    Outside light.
    Don't have a garage but that would be another rcb box and sockets/LED tubes cable etc
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    So if you plan on staying and want a safe home for yourself and family then now is a good time to completely rewire the whole house.
    Three or Four double sockets in every bedroom. Consider where the bed will go ! Maybe a socket behind the bedside cabinet.
    Maybe another higher up the wall for a TV and Sky box.
    One next to the mirror wardrobe for the hairdryer.
    Four/Five in the lounge and dining room.
    10 in the kitchen

Security lighting and alarm system.
    New RCB fuse box
    I have just spent £3,000 on a house doing just that for the rewire and alarm, smoke alarms

More!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport