BEVs deals and information

Options

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having considered BEVs I think I've come to the conclusion of.......why?

How about - the petrol and diesel is running out!?

Or - they have near silent motors, automatic, refinement, remote heating options etc.
    I suspect despite the internet 'fact' that EVs need no major upkeep that it will in fact cost more to upkeep an EV than a petrol car especially with the worry about battery replacement costs

What are those battery replacement costs again? After how many years/miles? Plenty of components similar to ICE cars to maintain, plenty missing, and a few big, expensive ones, that ICE cars don't have.
    My 2p worth of advise to the car manufacturers would be. Don't bother with sub 200 mile offering unless it has a range extender

How far do you drive in a day? Unless it's regularly over 200 miles, charging overnight will do fine - that's most UK drivers.
    Place a small 3 litre petrol tank in your BEVs for heating purposes so winter range is the same as summer. The customer can of course opt to use the battery for heating if they aren't doing long trips

Bonkers. Do you know what pre-heating is?
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Bonkers.

You didn't actually attribute the quotes in your post to a specific user.
    Having read the quotes would my guess be right that it's somebody I have on ignore?

I can only judge by the suppositions and technical solutions supplied..
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    How about - the petrol and diesel is running out!?

Or - they have near silent motors, automatic, refinement, remote heating options etc.

What are those battery replacement costs again? After how many years/miles? Plenty of components similar to ICE cars to maintain, plenty missing, and a few big, expensive ones, that ICE cars don't have.

How far do you drive in a day? Unless it's regularly over 200 miles, charging overnight will do fine - that's most UK drivers.

Bonkers. Do you know what pre-heating is?

Petrol isn't running out over the next 10 years which is what matters
    So when I ask what's the point of BEVs the only thing you can come up with is that they are quite?
    You would pay £5-10k premium for the same car but in a slightly more quiet version?

I stick by my view

Tesla makes sense it's an expensive brand to show off with
    Non premium BEVs make no sense
    Hyundai Ionic comes in petrol (hybrid) or BEV and the cost difference is about £10k before government bribes which can't be sustainable in large volume. Why just why?

An e Golf is about £8,000 more than a petrol golf (before government bribes)
    Again why what's the point? You're not saving the planet you're not saving money and in this instance you don't even get to show off wealth or a status symbol

Tesla makes sense. A Tesla would make sense even of it was a petrol car that looked the same inside and out and cost the same. In fact I would wager if they sold a model 3 with petrol that was $5,000 lower in price that version would be the best seller in the USA. That would buy 2,000 gallons of fuel and if a petrol Tesla got 40mpg that's 120,000+ miles (probably closer to 150,000 miles considering interest and lower insurance costs) for break even of petrol Vs electric in the USA
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    On the question of the Zoe there's a dealer up't North who has got a batch of 9 of them (19 plate dynamique Nav R110 Z.E.) he's knocking out for £18K, battery owned. Looks like there is starting to be a bit of movement in the market: competition and a new Zoe out i would guess..

Assuming the reference I saw was to the same dealer, it appears he's now sold (8 of) them at a rate of 1 a day.

It does illustrate that lower prices will stimulate movement in the market, although whether that is from people already committed and knowing a good deal is a reasonable question. But it also seems reasonable to conclude that standard rules apply, lower prices and increase volumes!

The experience of battery life and health (that old canard) has meant that the lease idea for the Zoe (and Leaf before), which was partly to reassure people about batteries, has recently been dropped.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some good news for Mart...

Great 3rd quarter from Tesla ...EPS $1.86 v. expected loss of $0.24.

Share price currently up $49.:cool:
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silverwhistle:
    You didn't actually attribute the quotes in your post to a specific user.
    Having read the quotes would my guess be right that it's somebody I have on ignore?

I can only judge by the suppositions and technical solutions supplied..

It was Great Ape.

Great Ape:
    Petrol isn't running out over the next 10 years which is what matters

Disagree! That's a short sighted view. Even in only 10 years, going by supply and demand, it'll at least get more expensive.
    So when I ask what's the point of BEVs the only thing you can come up with is that they are quite?
    You would pay £5-10k premium for the same car but in a slightly more quiet version?

No there are stacks of benefits that I thought we'd already been over. And I mentioned 4 things, not 1. Also, you shouldn't be obsessing over list price of cars. I'm on my second EV, and I haven't paid close to list price to run them (PCP and PCH). You need to compare the full cost of ownership - I would call that everything, except insurance.
    Go ahead and pick on the list prices of two cars and call them expensive. There are plenty of examples of poor value cars. Here at MSE, we try to find good value ones. If you want an ioniq electric or eGolf, driveelectric are doing a good lease deal on them at the moment.
    Tesla would make sense even of it was a petrol car that looked the same inside and out and cost the same.

There's nowhere for an ICE to go, of course.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't make a Tesla car with a petrol engine. ICE bits are different shapes and sizes. Thats why Tesla get more internal space out of the same external footprint as an ICE car. That's true for pretty much all the 'ground up' EV designs.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    silverwhistle: It was Great Ape.

I'm utterly astonished..:D

The degree I did back in the mid 1970s was modern history, so absolutely no technical background, but even thenI thought it not a long term solution to be burning fossil fuels. A great transitional technology, but we really should be moving along faster and we should have started earlier.

It seems that some on here on some similar threads think that short term capitalist profit making excuses all sorts of actions in lobbying and telling lies. I have absolutely no problem with profit, in spite of all those Marxist lecturers;), but do with the fact that all the social losses are conveniently ignored in their P&L accounts.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Disagree! That's a short sighted view. Even in only 10 years, going by supply and demand, it'll at least get more expensive.

Says who?
    The same people who a decade ago where crying peak oil?
    But instead we got 8-9 mbpd of additional shale oil output and oil at half of 2008 prices
    No there are stacks of benefits that I thought we'd already been over. And I mentioned 4 things, not 1. Also, you shouldn't be obsessing over list price of cars. I'm on my second EV, and I haven't paid close to list price to run them (PCP and PCH). You need to compare the full cost of ownership - I would call that everything, except insurance.
    Go ahead and pick on the list prices of two cars and call them expensive. There are plenty of examples of poor value cars. Here at MSE, we try to find good value ones. If you want an ioniq electric or eGolf, driveelectric are doing a good lease deal on them at the moment.
    There's nowhere for an ICE to go, of course.

Benefits are relative to costs

An e Golf is better than a regular Golf in some ways and a regular Golf better in other ways

At the same price I'd probably buy the e Golf at £8k more the regular petrol golf is better for my needs and probably 95% of other customers too
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback