Is this a GDPR breach

Options

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    The app doesn't just use your address you also have to register a telephone number and/or email address. So deliveries are only notified in the app when both the address matches and one other piece of information.

So the OP has probably used their home telephone number when registering to the site the delivery came from and so has her husband so that's how it matches up.

That’s interesting, although I do question whether phone number is an acceptable piece of reference data. Phone numbers can be shared between several people while an email address tends to be unique (although some people do share email).

Fundamentally the question comes down to whether people think it is acceptable for someone else to know what you’ve ordered just because that person signed up to an app. Personally I don’t think it is.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I believe I know the company in question, as others have said, they use your phone number. I had exactly the same happen. Why do you want to complain, as I understand it, the companies who breach are dealt with by "gentle advice" for the first couple of years of GDPR.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Got to say a big thanks to this thread....
    Just checked my DPD app and have realised that they have a UK Shopping Discounts section.
    This is going to save me a fortune. :money::T:beer:
    Life in the slow lane
  • Storms
    Storms Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Here comes the forum police.

Are you going to try and get this thread deleted like the others you started and didn't like the responses?

Maybe public forums are not for some?

nope.. just the offensive post removed. There is some good advice in the thread so no need to remove all of it.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    That’s interesting, although I do question whether phone number is an acceptable piece of reference data. Phone numbers can be shared between several people while an email address tends to be unique (although some people do share email).

Fundamentally the question comes down to whether people think it is acceptable for someone else to know what you’ve ordered just because that person signed up to an app. Personally I don’t think it is.

It doesn't say what is ordered it just says a package is being delivered. Her husband could get this information by simply being at home or looking at CCTV in his house so it's not exactly sensitive information.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

All phone numbers AND emails are unique, they wouldn't be of much use otherwise. Your email is more likely to be known than your telephone number I'd have thought.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All phone numbers AND emails are unique, they wouldn't be of much use otherwise. Your email is more likely to be known than your telephone number I'd have thought.

My apologies you’ve misunderstood my point. A phone number (basically a landline) can be shared by numerous people. An email address tends to be used by an individual (although I do know some people share email addresses).

Therefore if you want to use something to identify an individual a phone number is not the best thing to use as it could be shared.
  • PML19
    Options
    Hi all...how do I post a new thread please?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    PML19 wrote: »
    Hi all...how do I post a new thread please?

Go to the particular board that you want to post on and at the top there will be a big blue button called new thread.

Click that and you can make your own post.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My apologies you’ve misunderstood my point. A phone number (basically a landline) can be shared by numerous people. An email address tends to be used by an individual (although I do know some people share email addresses).

Therefore if you want to use something to identify an individual a phone number is not the best thing to use as it could be shared.

Ahh, my apologies then I think :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport