Is this a GDPR breach

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PaulaA wrote: »
    Lol do you all work as App developers for couriers. @Bogof it didn’t happen though did it. I got my parcel on time and when only I was the only one home. Thanks to the two of three people who are actually looking to help. I will not be reading any more replies so knock yourselves out.

Lol that old chestnut again, just because no 1 agrees with you it doesn't mean we work for the firm involved.

Yes a mistake was made so inform the courier of this, its not hard, a little ott me thinks.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PaulaA wrote: »
    They sent him details through their App. Told him I was getting a delivery from a well know retailer. He has the full tracking details of my parcel.

Whats the betting you have added you details in at some point.

Unless the courier has picked up that the address is the same as one in the app and used these to advise of a delivery.
    Life in the slow lane
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Options
    Storms wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of negative and rude people on this forum. Why do you find the need to throw insults and get personal?

I know you guys are regulars and have lots of posts.. but maybe it's time to take a break from the forum?

@Paula was asking a genuine question with a legitimate grievance; and all you can do is throw insults and get personal. If you can't give her any advice about her complaint then just don't participate.

Grow up guys !!!!!!

Here comes the forum police.

Are you going to try and get this thread deleted like the others you started and didn't like the responses?

Maybe public forums are not for some?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    While I do agree you need a thick skin online, sometimes it does feel like people just jump on a band wagon to take swipes. Particularly where marriage is concerned, you get lots of people telling you what a marriage is supposed to entail. But the law doesn't try to dictate how things should be carried out within a marriage. Not that you should share finances completely or split bills 50% each or split bills proportionately or even that you should live together at all! Or.....whether your spouse should know about your purchases.

The fact its her husband matters not a jot legally. The only question is whether personal data of hers has been unlawfully disclosed.

Personal data doesn't necessarily mean you have to be directly identified by name from the information. Its simply defined as:
    Personal data only includes information relating to natural persons who:
    can be identified or who are identifiable, directly from the information in question; or
    who can be indirectly identified from that information in combination with other information.

So again, it depends on what information exactly was disclosed to the husband and whether it would pass that test. If not then no breach. If yes then breach.

And yeah, maybe I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. But the OP is right - we don't know what the situation is between them. On one side of the scale it could be an abusive relationship and have some real painful consequences for the OP. On the other side would be the OP is cheating on her husband. Somewhere in the middle would be where it had no impact at all.

A well known travel agent disclosed details to the wife of a booking her husband had made.....to take his mistress on holiday. What do you think the outcome of that was? Morally imo it was karma catching up to him but legally he was in the right. And that was more than 15 years ago - before the tightening of data protection with GDPR.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    there is no legitimate grievance, her husband has the app which clearly states all parcels for the address entered will be advised via the app, doesnt matter if it husband wife son or daughter.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How do you know the message was about YOUR parcel - maybe it's something your husband has ordered.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    reason2 wrote: »
    there is no legitimate grievance, her husband has the app which clearly states all parcels for the address entered will be advised via the app, doesnt matter if it husband wife son or daughter.

There is a flaw in this, if you move address then you will continue to receive any notifications for every parcel delivered to your previous address. People ordering online do I believe have a right to privacy on their orders and the fact you don't have privacy because someone else registered your address with an app is ridiculous.

The app clearly needs to have some validation so that notifications are only provided for parcels which match on both name and address.

Its basic poor design issue with the app and the OP has a legitimate complaint.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    There is a flaw in this, if you move address then you will continue to receive any notifications for every parcel delivered to your previous address. People ordering online do I believe have a right to privacy on their orders and the fact you don't have privacy because someone else registered your address with an app is ridiculous.

The app clearly needs to have some validation so that notifications are only provided for parcels which match on both name and address.

Its basic poor design issue with the app and the OP has a legitimate complaint.

How specific is the postal address for the app's purposes? I share my street address with other flats, does this mean we'd get notified of each other's deliveries? How do they verify that the postal address is actually linked with the user at all?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    How specific is the postal address for the app's purposes? I share my street address with other flats, does this mean we'd get notified of each other's deliveries? How do they verify that the postal address is actually linked with the user at all?

Well exactly. The app isn't fit for purpose and frankly I don't really understand why some posters on this thread seem to believe that it is acceptable for the details of your order to be given to someone else just because that person had registered for an app!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Well exactly. The app isn't fit for purpose and frankly I don't really understand why some posters on this thread seem to believe that it is acceptable for the details of your order to be given to someone else just because that person had registered for an app!

The app doesn't just use your address you also have to register a telephone number and/or email address. So deliveries are only notified in the app when both the address matches and one other piece of information.

So the OP has probably used their home telephone number when registering to the site the delivery came from and so has her husband so that's how it matches up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure