Is this a GDPR breach

Options

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PaulaA wrote: »
    I want advice on how to deal with what I believe to be a GDPR breach.

I ordered a item online in my name with a card in my name. This was sent out from the company with a label addressed to me.

Today the courier sent my husband message telling him a parcel was being delivered to our address. Please note I do not share a surname my husband but even if I did I still think it’s a breach. My husband has had items delivered through this courier before but in his name.

How do I deal with and report this breach?
    They sent him details through their App. Told him I was getting a delivery from a well know retailer. He has the full tracking details of my parcel.

This is DPD your talking about and when you register with their app you provide your details and your address so then you can track any parcels coming to your house.

Your purposely avoiding saying it is DPD because you know exactly how this works and it is made clear when you register with DPD. There is no GDPR breach because no personal information is provided in tracking information.
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    As someone who knows what they are talking about, i can safely say, for sure, the following;

- Financial ombudsman will dismiss this out of hand as they dont have any say in this area
    - There is no GDPR breach
    - No legally defined personal information has been shared
    - No compo will be received
    - No one will be sacked
    - This is DPD and it is clearly shown that deliveries to your address will be updated in the app, name irrelevant.

Either this is a troll or someone is desperate for a £5 goodwill voucher
  • PaulaA
    PaulaA Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I have not signed up for the app so I have never given permission for my delivery details to be sent out via the app. As I don’t have the app it’s definitely isn’t clearly show to me that someone else would get my updates.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It’s not a GDPR breach as your husband being aware that a parcel was being delivered to your house does not breach GDPR.

It is however unprofessional and if you complain to the retailer then they may provide an apology and possibly a gift voucher.
  • PaulaA
    Options
    @JReacher. I will take your advice and complain to the retailer. Believe it or not compensation is not my goal. I will now have to check every purchase I make online to ensure a different courier is being used. Not ideal.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why complain to the retailer?

Lets imagine no text was sent and your husband happens to be in when a parcel is delivered? Who do you blame then?
  • PaulaA
    Options
    I choose the delivery date and time When I knew only I could be home.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I choose the delivery date and time When I knew only I could be home.

Haven't you heard of delays?

DPD don't give you a delivery slot until parcel has been received by them so thats not going to work. In fact very few retailers give a specific delivery time.

So yet again it seems you see a compo claim.
  • PaulaA
    Options
    Lol do you all work as App developers for couriers. @Bogof it didn’t happen though did it. I got my parcel on time and when only I was the only one home. Thanks to the two of three people who are actually looking to help. I will not be reading any more replies so knock yourselves out.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lol do you all work as App developers for couriers. @Bogof it didn’t happen though did it. I got my parcel on time and when only I was the only one home. Thanks to the two of three people who are actually looking to help. I will not be reading any more replies so knock yourselves out.
    Ah, the old 'if you don't agree with me you must work for [insert name of evil company]' standby. It's like bumping into an old friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure