PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Struggling to sell our house

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The companies offering for cash will drop the offer at the last minute when you are emotionally and logistically invested.
    They are notorious,
    If you are willing to sell at a discount e.g. 70%, then going to auction is a better bet.
  • Faith1960
    Faith1960 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately you have broken the golden rule in that you should never look at property until you have a confirmed offer at least on your own. Coming from the Greater London/Essex area myself I don't know your part of the world but I do know that you have probably picked the worst time of year to sell your property as apart from a slight pick up in September, the next three months towards Christmas are regarded as slow months. I agree with others in that I would really think long and hard about going to one of those companies that WILL offer you peanuts but I can also appreciate your concern about losing a property that you have no doubt set your heart on buying.
  • Ella235
    Ella235 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Really don’t need a grammar lesson thank you! I’m asking for advice on my house
  • Ella235
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

The house has already been marked down so we really don’t want to mark down any further as it is not over priced compared to others in the area.
    The steps may be an issue, but our target market would probably be young couples as it was when we purchased 4 years ago.

EA told us to keep minimal for photos, but I will take on board the feedback.
    I don’t know what the parking isn’t mentioned in the advert but I know the estate agents have mentioned it to viewers along with the new boiler.
  • Ella235
    Options
    Thank you Warby68

That feedback is useful, however I feel we have already adapted the price to reflect the fact that we want a quick sale. Our EA was reluctant as he feels it’s worth more and I thought dropping to 200 would get people flooding in but we’ve had no one since we lowered the price
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2019 at 10:22AM
    Options
    OK...I have not read the whole of the thread for other peoples answers to your situation,but I will say I know the area very well....I know someone who last year sold in that road and it is quite a popular with FTB's and second movers from flats.My present next door neighbour used to also live a little further up in a rental there.

Personally I would swap agents, these have quite a few properties for sale but they are not easy agents for buyers to deal with.

I think you're priced right but you might want to consider another agent or indeed one that has sold property in that road over the last year.

If you want to PM me I could give you the details of someone else to use

As a potential buyer with this agent I really don't rate them...all sales patter in the vein of agents who talk rubbish...often as a buyer you can phone them up to request a viewing and its not often they are able to accommodate your initial request...I wanted to view something they had and they couldn't fit me in for 10 days,I found something else to view with a different agent.
    I've also had other viewings with them and again I would say the standard depends on the particular person showing you round,it ranges from no interest to,a good viewing and onto the hard sell dependant on who views with you.

They are also an agent who likes to use the offers over situation and still like to think that people want to get into a bidding war which simply isn't happening at the moment. There are fewer buyers out there at the moment but sensibly priced things are still moving well in the BS postcode.

I could continue suffice to say there are far better agents in the area to use IMO
    What made you choose them rather than one on the high street in the 15 postcode?

I'm usually in agreement with cakeguts and a lot of what she says when she critiques properties...but I do tend to disagree that the issues with the 3 properties she posted links to might be solely parking related...they aren't IMO but that might be more to do with having the detailed knowledge of the area...one of the links she did in fact post was for a property that a few years back I sold!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Simby wrote: »
    Op here are my suggestions which should be relatively cheap

1. Tidy up the front garden
    2. Rear of house out building... excessive mold .. rent a power outdoor cleaner and clean it and anywhere else that has turned green
    3. Remove kitchen table and retake picture to give more space.
    4. Add in some indoor plants decorations , neutral pictures nice bedding and retake with better lighting
    5. Mention drop kerb permission in listing.

Change from offers in excess to a normal listing.

^^ what I was going to say
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even if you don't want to reduce your price any further, you may have to in order to sell. Just because you are asking a similar price to other (unsold) listings around you, does not mean you will buck the trend. The usual advice in a bad market is to underprice, and thus try to create interest and a bidding war that will find the property's true value.
  • Ella235
    Options
    We selected them because they were who we purchased the house through 4 years ago.

Will give you a private message, thank you
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ella235 wrote: »
    We selected them because they were who we purchased the house through 4 years ago.

Will give you a private message, thank you

It helps if you use the "Quote" button, then we know who you're talking to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure