PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 4

Options

Comments

• FrugalLina
    Options
    I am glad you are doing well with it, too tighteningthebelt and I hope you can keep on track while your son is home.

Good plan to give the brie to your dad and I am sure you will enjoy BlueDoggy's microbake! :)

Molly, those shifts sound tough, I wonder why so many babies are born at night.

Ahh Halloween, I am only buying the sweeties at the last minute, I daren't have them in the house. :o

Izadora, good luck with the 5:2, no harm in trying it (that was my initial thoughts) and if it works, then you have another weapon to use in the battle against the bulge.

I've drunk black coffee since my 20s, so it is the norm for me, I think some milk in yours would be fine, just don't have sugar.

Oh gosh, now I am remembering (it was a long time ago, LOL), I was slim in my 20s and used to get by all day on coffee and cigarettes. :eek: Obviously, I no longer smoke nowadays!
    31.5/100
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FrugaLina - most babies are born at night as all mammals feel more secure and relaxed at night. I guess it goes back to the stone age times x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • FrugalLina
    Options
    Molly41 wrote: »
    FrugaLina - most babies are born at night as all mammals feel more secure and relaxed at night. I guess it goes back to the stone age times x

Ahh, that makes sense, thank you for clearing that up for me, it is something I have wondered for a long time.:T
    31.5/100
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    Good evening, everyone :). Wednesday already!

Brambling how interesting about the effects bread has on you. Is it only wheat bread, or do other grains affect you too? Have a great time with your sister. :)

FrugalLina thank you very much for taking the time to write such a full post :A. I come from a background (Catholic) in which fasting was done for penitential or self-denial reasons, not for health or weight loss. (Although most of it was dropped in the middle of the last century, the only vestige being “giving something up for Lent”). Having now reached an age to think of “prepping for the next world”, and a return to the old practice of fast and abstinence (from meat) as part of it. I’m not sure I can - or want to - decouple it from the self-denial aspect. ( But if weight loss and health benefits occur as a side-effect, I shan’t complain ;) ). With Advent coming up, it seems to be a good opportunity to start, probably with something like a 5:2. Lots of food (lol!) for thought.

Like you, I’ve also tried in the past diets which “programmed in” snacks, which was an awful faff as I was always having to think about food, which limited the weight loss.

tighteningthebelt I hope you enjoyed the microwave bake :). Enjoy the time with your son at home. Thank you so much for your input on fasting.

Molly41 that’s one tough work pattern. The world would be a worse place without strong people like you :).

Izadora yes, people are really kind to gift their own produce, or special bits, but not so much when they say as they give “I know you’re on a diet, but you shouldn’t be too strict...” The marmalade in question was a Fortnum & Mason Orange and rose petal brandy one - chosen on this occasion because it was the smallest jar. Very best wishes for your experiment with the 5:2 fasting diet.

Today’s food was
    B: fish fingers with fennel
    L: all “usings up”: rice & lentils (LO from stuffed pepper on Monday) with the end of a cucumber & half a red pepper, fat free yogurt with the last of the F&M marmalade stirred through.
    D: tomato salad, mushroom omelette with mixed veg, yogurt with the last of the blackberry & apple.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 October 2019 at 11:30PM
    Options
    STS for me this week but after a 'bad' few days I'll take that

Blue Doggy white bread affects me more than others and can upset my stomach and I have a lesser reaction to pasta, annoyingly recently I've found if I eat too much rice I can gain weight quickly but it will drop off just as quickly :cool: a couple of my sisters have the same issue with bread and a great niece and nephew are coeliac so obviously something in the family.

Tighteningthebelt enjoy the time spent with your son

I'm not sure fasting is for me but we are all different and things work different for each of us, however I have found that the not eating for a long period of time (no snacking after dinner) does give me good results but that could just be the not snacking on rubbish whilst watching TV :cool: when I'm doing this I tend to eat dinner between 6.30 - 7.00pm and then eat my breakfast at work between 9 - 9.30am eating nothing in between, I've read that it should be 16 hours meal break and I can do that at weekends but i do like breakfast during the week

Due to a couple of incidents on the M25 my sister didn't get here until after 11am I was beginning to be concerned as my BIL usually drives into the road dead on time, I've accused him of waiting around the corner before :rotfl: he tells me it's because he's army trained :)

We didn't go out today just caught up and my other sister popped around this afternoon, they stole my BILs chocolate biscuits, I was virtuous and just drank tea :A

B - banana
    L - smoked mackerel and prawn salad
    D - roast chicken, new potatoes, runner beans, broccoli and gravy - glass of red wine
    S - olives
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • tighteningthebelt
    tighteningthebelt Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2019 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just a quick post to declare my food
    Shepherds pie with cabbage and carrots (I'll have more veg than pie)
    Banana and cold custard, spoon of stewed plums

Have a good day!

Edited to add; a mug of cocoa - while I was out I got very cold.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon All

Reporting in with a loss of -2lb
    Off today so have been catching up on batch cooking, have made campfire stew for the freezer and as I am up to my eyes in pumpkin, I currently have the pumpkin and sweet corn soup mentioned in my instant pot, I tweaked it slightly adding coconut milk instead of regular milk (I am not a fan of milk) and a bit of cumin. I've toasted the seeds for the kids and the rest of my pumpkin will go in a chicken and veg curry tonight. I also made little pumpkin shape calzones filled with pumpkin pur!e, cream cheese and raisins for the kids, one subjected to quality control :D

On the subject of fasting, I admire those that can, my dh only eats one meal a day 4 days a week, I cannot manage it though, I will fixate on food if I'm hungry and also my stomach makes the most horrendous rumbling sounds which is very embarrassing when surrounded by customers!

Happy Halloween everyone 🎃
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • FrugalLina
    Options
    BlueDoggy, keep us posted on how you cope with 5:2 if you try it.

I am glad you didn't gain this week, Brambling, a STS is always better than a gain and judging by how well you are doing already with all the disruption of a visitor, you will probably have a good loss next week.

You are doing well, tighteningthebelt, plus I am fancying some stewed plums now.

Woohoo! Well done Sirens, that is a great loss and your batch cooking sounds great. I did consider trying the pumpkin soup with coconut milk, but it was just fine without any milk in the end. The calzones sound cute! :)

You reminded me of my stomach when I first started fasting, it too made hilarious noises, but that has stopped now, thank goodness! :eek:

Happy Halloween to everyone too - I have my witch's hat at the ready and a bowl of Haribo sweets by my door, will light the pumpkin when it gets dark. :T
    31.5/100
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A very quick pop in due to work being unusually busy.

Sirens Well done on the loss and the batch cooking, it all sounds yummy.

Brambling Well done on the STS and just having tea.

I think the only way I'm going to manage anything other than a pretty hefty gain this week is to chop off a limb before tomorrow :D

I hope everyone's having a good day xx
  • Blue_Doggy
    Blue_Doggy Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 October 2019 at 9:17PM
    Options
    Good evening, everyone, and Happy Halloween :).

Many congratulations, SIRENS :j:j! You’ve had a very industrious, and frugal/ minimum waste cooking day. It all sounds delicious.

Brambling well done on STS after the tribulations of the week. The way different foods affect individuals is very interesting, and I’m sure you’re right that there’s a genetic component. Also well done on resisting the sisterhood raid on the chocolate biscuits :T.

FrugalLina yes, I’ll post about how I get on with 5:2. Researching first, and working out 500 and 800 calorie meals, if I have to do it as I go along I’ll be focusing on food too much. I hope your witch’s hat has lots of use this evening! :eek:

Izadora :eek: don’t go chopping limbs off, it makes an awful mess (I know you wouldn’t really) :D.

Blue Doggy’s Nosh of the Day:
    B: plain porridge
    L: an appropriately orange meal: m’waved sweet potato with baked beans, two small orangey-yellow apples
    D: tomato salad, 2 grilled sausages with cabbage and leek, cinnamon yogurt.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family