Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or perhaps it's just down to the biggest tour operator failure ever, the sheer number of claims and the poor quality of the data supplied.

The CAA have employed multiple outside companies to deal with the claims.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Justa_par1953
    Options
    Then they shouldn't have given a 60 day deadline , were taking a third of passengers here not getting their money as promised , how is that acceptable ? Is anyone accountable for such a poor showing ?

Someone someone must have done the maths to come up with the 60 days , if they werent frustrating the process and asking so many honest customers with valid claims like myself for extra info after 55 days maybe they would have got through more refunds .
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2019 at 7:32AM
    Options
    Its not as shambolic as you're making out i feel. The only complaint i have is why it took 50 days to ask for more info from me and others. This is a special case tho due to the size of the collapse, its not normal for this many ATOL claims at once

Apparently they had 65,000 requests on day 1, and 80,000 fradulent requests. I suspect part of asking for more info is to weed out those fraudulent claims
  • Justa_par1953
    Options
    I agree it's been a big operation,but missing the target by a third is a big miss, the way protect claims have dealt with it seems shambolic although im probable more critical as they are making me jump through hoops and their attitude on phone is terrible , and as you say asking for more info 55 days in is not acceptable, and rejecting claims where cash paid no direct link to money being withdrawn is a discharge when all other info matches up too.

The CEO yesterday said all those with a valid atol certificate would get paid, as far as I'm concerned a valid atol certificate is just that, whether you paid cash card voucher or whatever .

I dont believe their claims there has been
    85, 000 fraudulent claims, I think that's an excuse for missing the target, if they are going through the claims in date order as they say are we to believe there were more fraudulent claims on day 1 as there were genuine claims?

Highly unlikely
  • Justa_par1953
    Options
    Sorry for spelling mistakes / auto correct , on my phone and wont let me edit
    I meant disgrace not discharge))))
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Im not sure if the 85000 means total fraudulent claims or those made on day 1. I can certainly believe they had alot tho.

To be fair to protect claims they dont make the rules. Its the CAA/Government who are refunding people so they set the rules. If those people decide proof of cash payment is needed to possible weed out fraudulent claims then protect claims have to follow those rules.

See what happens after the weekend. Its mot ideal granted, but this is an unprecedented event and im sure fraudulent claims are delaying the process
  • Justa_par1953
    Options
    Apparently we have till Sep next year to get our claims in , hopefully they will have sorted my refund out by then)
    On a serious level, I'm probably over critical as I'm really frustrated as was relying on the money for xmas and to re book another holiday for January, and now I'm reliant on my bank issuing me replacement statements in time as my bank app only goes back 6 months, and doesnt show my name and address, so I've had to apply for paper versions be sent to me, and of course my bank duly charged me for the privilege,
    ( no compassion)

That's going to be my new years resolution, change banks )
  • catherinecovell
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Its not as shambolic as you're making out i feel. The only complaint i have is why it took 50 days to ask for more info from me and others. This is a special case tho due to the size of the collapse, its not normal for this many ATOL claims at once

Apparently they had 65,000 requests on day 1, and 80,000 fradulent requests. I suspect part of asking for more info is to weed out those fraudulent claims[/Q

I total agree. Makes no sense why they waited 56 days in my case to ask for bank statements and receipts all of which I had ready on the 7th October to send across with my claim as i would with any insurance claim. All i can hope is the "PENDING APPROVAL" stage doesn't take another 60 days.
  • westiedog
    Options
    Checked both my claims this morning which were both submitted 09 October.

Claim one currently with protect claims who asked for further information one week ago - your claim has been open 4 full working days so we HOPE to provide a response within the next 56 working days :mad: Awaiting review.

Claim two currently with CAA as far as I know - your claim has been open for 42 full working days so we HOPE to provide a response within the next 18 working days :mad:Awaiting review.

Sorry to keep repeating myself but this really is annoying. I could have tried to claim for extras like upgraded seating, meals, baggage, airport hotel and airport lounges but I kept it to the basic holiday cost thinking it would go straight through....not!
    :A
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Ignore the timeframe on that checker. It doesnt apply to TC refunds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income