Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News - Page 21

New Post Advanced Search

Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

704 replies 47.6K views

Replies

• Hi
    Just wondering as I have paid all my package holiday on my credit card card but haven't actually paid the halifax card anything yet. Do i need to pay this or could I not pay and then they need to claim it back of is that not allowed?
    Thanks
  • Mine was a package holiday. Have since been told again via their helpline mobile number that the flights are not valid and i’m waiting for an email to confirm the situation with the flights.

I’d rather just go ahead and rebook at this point but I don’t want to rebook and then get left having to pay for the virgin flights still.

You are doing the right thing. If they are telling you you have no flight then claim for the entire cost through ATOL on that advice (having it in writing will also help your case). I can see no reason why Virgin could now charge you for your those flights knowing TC have gone under.

Yes it is complicated, but fall back on your contract being with TC and they have ceased trading and just treat it as if Virgin can't help may be best for your sanity.

I can see why you are frustrated I know I would be in the same situation it's not clear cut and you never know if Virgin are expected to refund package flights in this case and it is out of their control. If you had booked a Virgin flight only through TC I think the circumstance would be very different.

It's never easy I am afraid, but without knowing what Virgin have been told to do with package customers and how they receive payment for these things it's hard to make any actual conclusions. It may become clearer in the next few days, but for now you have to go with what Virgin are telling you.
  • Shimster1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering as I have paid all my package holiday on my credit card card but haven't actually paid the halifax card anything yet. Do i need to pay this or could I not pay and then they need to claim it back of is that not allowed?
    Thanks

Did you purchase the holiday in full in the last month then? If so you might want to contact the card company and see what they say. You may find they have to honour the payment or you may find they can just refund you knowing TC is no longer trading. If they send you to ATOL for the refund you do have to pay your credit card and then reclaim. I would suggest that in no circumstances that you just don't pay your credit card as there is no way for them to distinguish that you are not paying for just the TC holiday.

Let the forum know how you get on, it could help others.
  • Kas wrote: »
    Hi

I checked the emails and Thomas Cook didn’t send the ATOL certificate with my booking, I never would have known that until I checked when they went under.

I know it’s covered my trip that was cancelled as it was a package holiday but Without the certificate I may not be able to claim.

The CAA number is just automated messages you can speak to anyone, would they have the number in file maybe if one was issued.

I saw something on web that says they need it but they would consider claims on case by case basis but that doesn’t reassure me as i could wait 2 months to hear they won’t pay out.

How many people print this ATOL certificate out and take it on holiday as I certainly never had before and been holidaying broad 30 years.

Has anyone else had this problem before it are they in same boat and wasn’t sent one maybe?

Couple of questions.

1) Did you book this direct with TC?

2) Have you paid it in full?

3) Did you pay on a debit or credit card?

This will effect how you need to proceed form here. Not getting an ATOL certificate sounds a bit weird, they usually send them even if you have only paid the deposit.

Oh and always travel with all you paperwork (either on paper or electronically on a device), I have never had to wave an ATOL certificate, but having all of it when something goes wrong makes life so much easier for the small amount of space it takes up in your hand luggage.
  • I did book in the last month but halifax have sent me to atol so looks like they were telling me the truth but just wanted to make sure as dont trust these companies. Thanks
  • Shimster1 wrote: »
    I did book in the last month but halifax have sent me to atol so looks like they were telling me the truth but just wanted to make sure as dont trust these companies. Thanks

You are indeed quite right to question, they don't always get it right or Martin wouldn't have this website. Hope you get your money back soon, at least you are covered for a refund.
  • I booked a trip to the Maldives leaving on Tuesday direct with TC in one of their shows over the phone. Noted as package, Flights are with emirates, speed boat transfers and superior beach bungalow at sun island resort. Paid deposit on my husband CC and balance on mine. All documentation sent by email and copy of booking through post no ATOL certificate with any of these although states they charged my £5 for ATOL cover. Does have the ATOL logo and number 1179 on the paperwork. I emailed sun resort yesterday and ask if my accommodation still valid they replied no TC had not paid accommodation so would need to rebook with them nearly £2000 would hold rooms. I emailed resort again re amount and told not holding rooms and if wanted to rebook what info needed. Have emailed back to query but nothing back yet. I called Emirates twice and the flights are still valid and advised TC had paid them, can get access to the booking via Emirates app. Looked at booking accommodation via another travel operator but prices have rocketed.
    If I rebook direct won’t have ATOL protection but would have CC protection under section 75? If I go what can I claim back presumably only the hotel as used the flights but my paperwork doesn’t breakdown the cost of the package or do I can for what I paid to rebook (as long as is not more than the total holiday package cost)? If I decide not to rebook accommodation so don’t go at all do I have to cancel the flights with Emirates and likely be charged a fee for doing so? This is not like going someone in Europe where there is likely to be plenty of choice of accommodation so I’m a bit unclear as to how this would work. Where do I go to claim under all these scenarios ATOL or CC? Any advise that you can give?
  • shbrooksshbrooks Forumite
    14 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Having had to rebook our flights, we've had to pay an additional £1000 and have had to travel Ecomony when we had paid for Premium with Thomas Cook.

Under Section 75, am I entitled to the original paid amount of £3300, and also the additional £1000 I had to pay to book more expensive flights?

Thanks!
  • N4t4lie wrote: »
    Actually that might be best. See if they can block it somehow?

In all the cases I have seen with holiday companies going under it takes most of the first week for everyone to get their ducks in a row and until then information is hard to come by. I am aware of the frustration especially when you'd like to sort out an alternative holiday. Hang in there, it will sort itself out.

Wahey, no need. They sent me an email confirming cancellation at lunchtime, and whilst I was in the process of rebooking something else this evening, received the refund for the portion I'd paid already!
  • shbrooks wrote: »
    Having had to rebook our flights, we've had to pay an additional £1000 and have had to travel Ecomony when we had paid for Premium with Thomas Cook.

Under Section 75, am I entitled to the original paid amount of £3300, and also the additional £1000 I had to pay to book more expensive flights?

Thanks!

Did you just book flights direct with Thomas Cook? If so contact your credit car and make the claim under S75 and see if they will cover the extra cost of new fights. If not and you booked the flight through an intermediary S75 may not apply (see the Section 75 guide on the main website).

Without being 100% sure of what an and how you booked I have assumed you are talking about flight only. Hope that helps.