Hugglemonster hits the debt hard!

Options

Comments

• hugglemonster
    hugglemonster Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey 1st of May! Well as usual things don't go to plan, we already knew we need to get the car to the garage when I return to work but now we have some electrics to sort and potentially a new washing machine. The other day the washing machine tripped the switches after dd said if had been making a funny noise, I tried to change the fuses just on the off chance but to no avail so as the sockets in that area of the kitchen are a bit dodgy we need an electrician to sort that before we purchase a new washer. Bah how come it always happens when dh gets his bonus! Electrician is coming Monday and I'm currently doing small loads of hand washing just when the weather is decidedly more rainy.

There can only be lessons learnt from this:
    * We need to have an emergency fund and a fund for replacing/repairing items in the home.
    * We are fortunate to have the bonus money to be able to pay for it, we might not be so lucky next time.
    * After 12+ years it's inevitable that things will start to go wrong with machinery.

I haven't started looking at washing machines, I think I will leave that for Monday.

Right plans for today - food shopping we have a menu and have designed it so we have a piece of meat that stretches for at least 2 meals, not sure the chicken will last when the cat starts to smell it! A small load of hand washing, clean out the fish tank with ds, clean and tidy upstairs. I need to make a Foccacia for lunch so I'd best get moving soon.

Will pay a small amount to credit card plus I need to update ynab so I can see how much I can put to the savings pots.

Hope you all have a good day, H x
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning Huggle, sorry to hear your washer is on the blink, hope you manage to get it fixed or a new sorted. At least you have DH bonus money. 
    Have a good weekend xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How frustrating. Good that you've been able to get an electrician quickly.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • hugglemonster
    edited 2 May 2020 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Evening all, relaxing after another pleasant day of composting, cooking and a walk to the beach and then up to the top of town. I still have quite a bit of compost to sieve as when we turn over the front bed it will need some fresh soil on there but the compost bin is going down and I can start to turn it from the back now.

DH sold his 2 items and has used the money to buy his camping kit, he's holding off the rest of it until we sort out the washing machine and car. I've moved £600 to savings which was the majority of his bonus after tax I'm really hoping we don't have to use it all! Paid £30 off the credit card which brings it down to £3200, also updated ynab and figured I can't pay anything to savings pots until I get my expenses, I need to look at the budget more carefully as last month we had no fuel to pay for or the kids dinner money or clubs etc, we spent more on food obviously but still don't seem to be any better off. 

Doing well with food though this week, the chicken was used yesterday - we spatchcocked it so it was quicker to cook, then today we had some for a Caesar Salad, cat has had some and the rest I made into a pie and put in the freezer for a meal another day. Tomorrow we have a beef brisket to slow cook in the oven and then Monday will have in rolls, if there's any left I will do another pie. Loving a programme called The Pioneer Woman on Food Network, quite a few years old but some lovely recipes.

16 days until DH goes back to work, I'm counting down now ha ha!

H x

Ooh just worked out that I've paid over 34% of my debt so far, that's inspiring!
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning Huggle, great the your DH was able to sell a couple of items to fund his camping equipment.
    I also enjoy watching Pioneer woman, she does make some lovely recipes, you have also reminded me I have a piece of brisket in the freezer.
    Enjoy the rest of thr weekend.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That’s a great debt repayment figure Hugglemonster. 
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Good morning, waiting for the rest of the family to rise and shine lazy bones!

Had a nice weekend, the beef brisket was amazing and we have lots left over even though it has been used in 2 meals already, today we'll use it in a stir-fry so need to get a few veg and noodles to go with it.

The electricians came yesterday and were brilliant, they sorted all the sockets in the kitchen and everything all safe now. We have ordered a new washing machine but been a little naughty as it's on pay in 6 months deal, I am worried about how much the car will cost so thought we I can save £50 a month to pay for the washing machine and then have a funds available for the car if needed. Just waiting on the bill from the electrician but shouldn't be too bad.

Waiting on some survey points to be added then can claim some pennies, I've confused myself as to what to pay it towards i.e. shall I start saving towards another car payment or more off the credit card? Hmm maybe car should come first as I can knock off interest too whereas card is at 0%.

House is looking a bit messy so this is my job for today, I also need to take some towels to my Mum's to get washed as handwashing them is a pain.

Have a lovely day, H x
  • hugglemonster
    Options
    Good evening, trying to stay awake after a poor nights sleep and starting to feel it now! If I can make it to 8pm I'm winning :) 

I did my Mum's shopping this morning and collected the towels she had washed, I also did a hand washing load and thankful that is been very warm today as they would have taken ages to dry. Not much else done today as had to spend a lot of time with ds who has been slacking in his school work and now has a mountain to catch up with, he did quite a bit today after a bit of a tantrum but then afterwards we went for a lovely walk down to the beach. It's very noticeable how many more cars are on the roads and people out and about.

Finally paid expenses so I have been good and split it into the emergency fund, general savings and car payment savings which now stands at £64/£191.64, still waiting on some small payments to keep topping it up. The electricians bill has arrived and was as expected, I'll pay that tomorrow.

I need to do a menu this evening as our shopping day tomorrow, trying to think of some different meals so will look online for some inspiration.

Have a good evening, H x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the 34% of debt paid off. The beach sounds lovely. 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • hugglemonster
    edited 12 May 2020 at 1:32PM
    Options
    Well they say things come in 3's, latest is the oven - it's an in-built double oven and the main part hasn't worked for ages so we have been using the top and now it's not getting up to temperature, the toad in the hole on Sunday had cooked the top but the bottom was a soggy mess. We've purchased an oven thermometer and we are going to check the actual readings, the meat joints have been cooking fine but anything at a higher temperature is not. Whatever the outcome we can't afford to get a new oven and we don't want any finance when things are so up in the air, so worse case it that we just cook on the gas hob, the microwave and the slow cooker. That's fine, we can still eat!

Edit - the oven thermometer is showing accurate readings so crisis averted, think maybe a combination of opening the door too often and too much in the oven to cook properly. Phew!

We're all still plodding on, hubby has not heard anything about going back to work next week and is a bit miffed that his boss hasn't phoned, he's going to leave it until Friday morning and then phone him. My boss in comparison phoned yesterday to check how we all are.

I need to catch up with some surveys today in between hand washing and jobs around the house.

H x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure