We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Electric vehicles miles per KWh

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic Second Anniversary
    Luckily, Nissan's e-pedal system is voluntary. I find it useful in e.g. a traffic jam but appalling in normal motoring (although some Nissan drivers apparently think it's wonderful !)

This is the way the i3 works by default too. My dad has got into using it and likes not having to move his leg between pedals in normal driving. When i was trying to get used to it there were a few sudden stops!
    Be very careful with lower priced offers ! Some Nissans and all (I think) Renaults - and possibly others - come with a leased battery

A small number of early Leafs, and the vast majority of Zoes, are battery lease. Zoe 'i' doesn't have a lease, if you can find one.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,965 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    EricMears wrote: »
    Be very careful with lower priced offers ! Some Nissans and all (I think) Renaults - and possibly others - come with a leased battery. For a low mileage user, leasing costs could easily exceed fuel costs !

Good point.

Got a quote for insurance of approx £240, which is excellent news. That leaves around £500 pa for depreciation out of potential petrol savings.

Certainly looks doable(ish) but may have to save up for a slightly more expensive BEV first.

Thanks again for thoughts and advice, very interesting.
    Mart. Cardiff. 8.72 kWp PV systems (2.12 SSW 4.6 ESE & 2.0 WNW). 20kWh battery storage. Two A2A units for cleaner heating. Two BEV's for cleaner driving.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,390 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    The earliest leafs are not compatible with the ovo v2g trial if you were thinking of using it as a battery.
    I think....
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,718 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Luckily, Nissan's e-pedal system is voluntary.
    I had a 40kWh Leaf and gave up on the e-pedal. #rapidgate meant that I got rid of what was otherwise a good car.

The 64kWh Kona is far better, apart from the smaller boot and rear passenger space that I don't need.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I had a 40kWh Leaf and gave up on the e-pedal. #rapidgate meant that I got rid of what was otherwise a good car.

The 64kWh Kona is far better, apart from the smaller boot and rear passenger space that I don't need.
    Can you confirm that Kia don't impose regenerative braking on you when you think it not needed ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • NigeWick
    Can you confirm that Kia don't impose regenerative braking on you when you think it not needed ?
    No, my car is a Hyundai Kona. On it, the paddle on the left has three stages plus bringing the car to a full stop. Paddle on the right removes the regen one stage at a time. With no regen, the car will gently slow down because of drag and tyre & mechanical resistance. As the Kia eNero is basically a twin under the body shell, I suspect it will be the same.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,271 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper
    NigeWick wrote: »
    No, my car is a Hyundai Kona. On it, the paddle on the left has three stages plus bringing the car to a full stop. Paddle on the right removes the regen one stage at a time. With no regen, the car will gently slow down because of drag and tyre & mechanical resistance. As the Kia eNero is basically a twin under the body shell, I suspect it will be the same.
    Thanks for that. "Gently slowing down because of drag and tyre & mechanical resistance" is of course what ICE cars really do (and not what Nissan seem to think they do).

When going down a steepish hill in high gear (or D in an automatic) and you lift your foot off the accelerator :-
    An ICE will keep going, perhaps even getting faster.
    A VW e-Up! does exactly the same.
    BUT a Nissan Leaf will apply regen and slow down.

Would you say that your Hyundai behaves more like an e-Up! or a Leaf ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • The 2017 Hyundai Ioniq has the same steering wheel paddles as the Kona, with three progressive stages of regeneration and also zero. Unlike the latest Ioniq, holding the paddle does not cause the car to come to a halt - but level 3 regeneration is quite abrupt. It's only a software difference between the 2017 and the 2019 models, so it may be upgraded in the future. I use level 0 regeneration most of the time and only use level 1 to keep a constant speed when going down a slight incline and change to level 2 or 3 for slowing down.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • EricMears wrote: »
    Be very careful with lower priced offers ! Some Nissans and all (I think) Renaults - and possibly others - come with a leased battery. For a low mileage user, leasing costs could easily exceed fuel costs !

This is one issue I would have. Secondly as I'm a single car household an early (non lease) Leaf would be within my budget but the range wouldn't be practical for my usage profile, which tends to more mileage during the winter (football playing!) season. Thirdly I'd need to create hard standing out of the front garden of my terrace house. I've got 4kWp of solar panels but not much help without a parking space.

So there are lots of us keeping a weather eye on the situation, and whilst my current fully amortised car is running there's not too much incentive to change. Give it about two years though..;)
  • NigeWick
    TWould you say that your Hyundai behaves more like an e-Up! or a Leaf ?
    Never driven the VW so I can't answer that one.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.