NST September - A Simple September

Replies

• sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all:j

Well it's been an *interesting* day here at nutty towers - I have still the lone NSD so 1/15....

Started off quite simply, I discovered (luckily) that I'd actually done most of the accounts 9 months ago, as they wanted up until Dec 2018. So that was handy & it was quite a simple exercise to print out a couple of bank statements I was missing etc, then pass it all on to DH to add to his stuff & take in..

Was asked by DD to come with her (shopping) ah well. Spent very little & also used vouchers.

Back home just after lunchtime when all hell broke loose. DD went to take a shower & get ready for work, I into kitchen to make some lunch for us all. DH asked me I could hear anything, no - not me!

All of a sudden he went into dining room - which we don't use much - & came out of there at high speed yelling....

There was water pouring through the ceiling, like a fountain down the light fitting huge pool of water on the carpet, big bulge of water over the fireplace...OMG, Ran to get a massive bucket to put under worst leak, all power tripped & shut down...

Tried to turn water off in 2 places, cellar & bottom of drive under a manhole (!). Ran taps, eventually water slowed....no idea where it was coming from, first thought was DD in shower - nope.

Then DH said water was running down outside of house as well...

Just chaos...I messaged a friend who is not a plumber but is a sparky ...he gave us some good advice re sorting out the electrics & a possible source for the leak, although it could have been under DDs bedroom floor...thankfully not.

Eventually we managed to remove the panel under her sink - a piece of plywood, but fixed with 10 painted over screws. Looks like we found the problem....& hopefully, friend is coming over tomorrow to fix it if he can for us. He was coming over for lunch anyway, but not maybe to fix our plumbing. No reason why this should have happened that he/we can see.

Dining room is bad, but if we had been out for the day, the ceiling would be down, so it could be so much worse.

Fingers crossed for a simpler day tomorrow!!

Checking in when I can: Hello turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ccl - well done to your DS. DD was unanimously voted as school council rep, they know she will fight their corner.

sashanut - how absolutely awful. Thank goodness you weren't away.

No money spent yesterday. Work again today so I won't spend but I know for a fact DH will be spending a few pounds. Two beds are stripped and a load is in the machine, will have to do DS's bed when I get home.

Raining and very windy here, had the usual argument with DD about wearing a coat for school, they are going on the bus but will she put it on - of course not.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hope you have a simpler day today sashanut!

I found out this morning I have been shortlisted for a work award I was put forward for, which means getting to attend a fancy do in November with free dinner and drink!

Won't get a NSD now until Sunday, needed some milk this morning and food shopping day tomorrow x
  • Calling14Calling14 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checkin in. Wish this thread was an airport now. Suddenly jealous of everyone having holidays.

Yesterday foolishly lost a NSD. :oOff work Thursday afternoons, lovely walk around local zoo free as a member but forgot to take water with me so spent £2 on a drink. Felt better as portion of it goes towards the zoo.

Today watch the money fly out again. :(

Entered a ITV competition as so fed up of being broke a girl can dream of spending £101,000 pounds and I actually have a friend who won a Florida holiday with them.:p

Plumber arriving after work to fit new taps - quoted £45 - £50 to fit them. Suppose thats a reasonable price and the first plumber to keep my updated as to what time he will arrive. Breakthrough moment.

Out watching a band tonight, will only be max £10 spend as I am driving.

Saturday.
    For a change getting my roots dyed in hairdressers as otherwise I cover up all the lovely highlights I have got in my hair and it goes too black. Seeing as I reach the grand old age of 60 next month, anything to help me feel younger. Not getting it cut so hopefully not too expensive:).

Have a free Saturday and Sunday so hopefully get some walking done.

Sashnut
    Poor you I had a similar leak, it was the waste from the bath that had moved and was unable to turn the stop !!!! off as joiner had boxed it in in the kitchen. Made a small hole in the bulge to drain it and luckily had a friend plumber who travelled a fair way to sort it out at 10pm at night. All dried out pretty well in the end. I refuse to claim off house insurance and just repainted few areas. Hope you get it sorted soon.

SSDD23 good luck I need a dressy up night. My night outs and jeans and a top:rotfl:
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt Free
    Mortgage free Oct 2019:)
    EFund/savings £19750 10/1/22
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laughing my head off must remember to use the word TAP next time. I have been censored
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Calling14 wrote: »
    Laughing my head off must remember to use the word TAP next time. I have been censored

I can't even work out what you would have written that they would have censored?! :rotfl:
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    I can't even work out what you would have written that they would have censored?! :rotfl:

wasn't deliberate:o:o
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still on NSD No 4

Shopping day. Stuck to list (apart from Himself's chocolate��). Bought steak pie from butcher for Sunday dinner at the Boy's request. Stocked up on coffee in Aldi as the kind I like either runs out very quickly. either that or they don't stock much of it. Saving a couple of packets for taking on holiday and sorted out the Tesco delivery for the holiday too although it's too early to book a slot yet. Still got most of this week's food budget left and shouldn't need too much more but will probably go stock up on butter as it's on offer nearby.

I've also downloaded some more free kindle books. I read lots when we're away so want to ensure I've got enough.

Sashnut - Hope you've got everything sorted and there's not too much of a mess.
    CCL and Dolly - Well done to the children.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • lcc86lcc86 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sashanut I hope you get everything sorted at home, what a nightmare!

Bit of a funny day today, felt really groggy all day, been working from home which was good, just been lounging around most of the day. Cleaned the kitchen and bathroom at lunchtime and got a load of washing done, then promptly fell asleep for an hour! Woops!

Went out for a walk a little while ago to try and clear the fog, seems to have worked. Going to have chips from the chippy for dinner as a little treat. Tomorrow will also be a spend day as I need to top up with some stuff for the furries as well. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Debt paid off, now time to build some savings
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to those nominated for awards and to those with children who are winning votes.

Sasha - thank goodness you were back home!

Today I am grateful for some extra work, for not getting wet, for having a car, for working with cheerful people, for dh making hm chips, for fresh rasps, for a snuggly sweatshirt, for the weekend!
    NST Janus; NSD 1; Ex

MFWDate: very soonish. I hope...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals