We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paper receipts - something we need?

Options
So recently I couldn't stop thinking about why in 2019 where we have things like card payments and contactless we still have to deal with paper receipts or in the best-case scenario spend time at the till spelling our email which is time-consuming and frustrating.

I am currently studying this problem and would love to get your opinion:

1) What are the things you like or hate about getting paper receipts?
2) How do you feel about digital email receipts? (Imagine if retailers never used this information for marketing emails but solely for sending receipts)
3) How would you ideally get your receipts?

Any answers would be appreciated

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I often don't take or care for receipts, but if there was a quick way of having them emailed that would convince me

What if part of the contactless data (in future) that was transmitted contained your email address that you could have receipts sent to (providing you opt in first)

Just yesterday found out many receipts aren't recyclable, which is another mark against them.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Receipts are useful for stuff like grocery shopping. How else can you check whether or not you've been overcharged?

Email receipts are great for companies that you have accounts with. Screwfix always email one. But how do you deal with the transfer of email address? bsms1147's sounds a workable idea, with the condition that it has an opt out. There's a lot of companies I wouldn't trust with my email address.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 August 2019 at 9:11AM
    Options
    you dont need a paper receipt for personal things you are never going to return like food and drink.

More detailed receipts will be available via googlepay, paypal etc in the not too distant future.

When you attach your contactless card to your phone you get a total paid receipt immediately sent to your phone. Always baffles me why people still use their card instead of phone?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I still feel awkward walking out of a shop without something in my hand that proves I paid for it.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Always baffles me why people still use their card instead of phone?

Unfortunately some new phones dont have NFC which makes it work e. g. the new Moto G7 power hasn't !!

and yes I always use google Pay its great
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Always baffles me why people still use their card instead of phone?
    So what are the advantages of using a phone instead of a card? Particularly if one is not in the habit of carrying a phone everywhere.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    So what are the advantages of using a phone instead of a card? Particularly if one is not in the habit of carrying a phone everywhere.

If you don't have a phone with you then by definition there's no advantage.

But many people do always have their phone, and to me it's easier at checkout finding my phone than fishing around for a card or cash.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

As said above, most people have their phone with them. Obviously the phone needs to support NFC else Google Pay/Apple Pay won't work.

Assuming these are true ... one big advantage (over a card) is that the phone screen usually needs to be unlocked (or even you need your finger on the phone's fingerprint reader, in the case of Iphone) before the payment will proceed. This is much safer than a contactless card.
  • Gvard
    Gvard Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2019 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate your responses!
    Just yesterday found out many receipts aren't recyclable, which is another mark against them.
    Indeed - what a waste isn't it
    I often don't take or care for receipts, but if there was a quick way of having them emailed that would convince me
    What if part of the contactless data (in future) that was transmitted contained your email address that you could have receipts sent to (providing you opt-in first)
    So you would prefer them delivered to your email or somewhere else? Say there was an online service where you can sign up with your card/bank details and link your email address, then you get them delivered to your phone?
    Email receipts are great for companies that you have accounts with. Screwfix always email one. But how do you deal with the transfer of email address? bsms1147's sounds a workable idea, with the condition that it has an opt out. There's a lot of companies I wouldn't trust with my email address.
    Not willing to share your email address with random places is a valid concern, is it a big enough reason for you to opt-out of the email/phone receipts if they were delivered automatically as you pay or what if they were delivered by intermediary service that didn't pass your email onto merchant?
    When you attach your contactless card to your phone you get a total paid receipt immediately sent to your phone. Always baffles me why people still use their card instead of phone?
    But this is not practically a receipt, isn't it? It doesn't tell you what you bought and doesn't contain your VAT number. You can't use it to return stuff or do business expenses.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You receive a notification when a payment has been made confirming sellers name and amount. You don't always receive a receipt with contactless card payments.

Don't need to carry a wallet

Payments more secure as you have to have a pass code or fingerprint security on phone to attach card

Payment limits are higher
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport