Fed up of the bragging

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    5% from me 5% from employer last year saw a combined £2700 into the DC scheme
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't remember the poster's name but the OP sounds very much like another member.

Anyway just to let the OP know that 'plod pensions' aren't the thing they used to be - my son is paying a whack into his ....I was certainly shocked at the amount that he's paying.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5512813&highlight=friends+holidays+brag
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nikond4 wrote: »

I'm not great with finances but is that an income of around £28k a year for you? What does your wife earn?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 August 2019 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Firstly i do not have a NHS pension and have never worked in the public sector . Ive worked for the same company in excess of 32 years. The company was bought out in 1997 by a large company . We were put into the FS scheme in 2003 and had it stopped in 2008 and transfered into a Dc scheme . The last statement i had said on the FS side i would get approx £3500 a year however this will increase each year not by much thou in last 5 years its gone up by 300 PA, On the DC side there is approx £50k and as it stands today id see approx £1800 a year if no more money was paid in if i continue to pay at current rate the estimate is £2500 a year. so so far thats £6k a year. Ive also got £65k sat in a pension with the Pru ,say when i retire that will be £75k a drawdown of 5% will see approx £3700 a year plus the SP which in todays money is £8500 a year
    So thats £9700 from my work and my own private pension and £8500 from the state . I presume the poster who said their NHS pension is £22k a year had not inc their state pension in this .
    To the poster who commented on the recent sad events concerning a police officer our thoughts are with his family and friends in shocking circumstances and in no way should this conversation be connected to it.
    One quote on the internet says a 30 year old police officer earning £30k a year at 30 when 60 will get a pension of £28k or a lump sum of £120k and £18k a year pension. Can the poster who mentioned her son inform us of the percentage the employer (tax payer) is contributing i bet its more than her son is

I don't know how much the taxpayer aka my son's employer is contributing to his pension...I just know he pays a whack into it himself. And I still think this is a &*£# time to be bemoaning about police pension.

Perhaps it's compensation for having to get the diary out every time you want to do something simple as have Sunday lunch with your son because of course, as we know, crime stops at 5pm on a Friday.

Perhaps it's compensation for being slated for not doing x,y or z by people who don't know the constraints of the law.

Or perhaps it's compensation for seeing humanity at its lowest seeing & hearing things you'd rather not see or hear.

And I'd go as far as to say your whinges are so like the other poster's you're one and the same.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Not surprising your end pension will be half of mine based on those figures .

You and your employer combined paid in less than me alone over the year and it's seems your earnings are considerably lower than mine.

Only fair my pension will be bigger at the end.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can the poster who mentioned her son inform us of the percentage the employer (tax payer) is contributing i bet its more than her son is

The whole package needs to be considered, not just the value or percentage of the pension. Many jobs with good pensions (nurses, for instance) come with salaries that are comparatively low for the work and qualifications. So the pension looks great as a percentage, but the total remuneration is not better.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 August 2019 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Very very similar to the previous thread

Salty and bitter that other people have better jobs, better lives and better ambitions than themselves but won't take any ownership over it.

If you think public sector pensions are so gold plated why haven't you sought a career there ?
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    So you are on £27,000 per year. Given your disparaging remarks about non-working spouses then your wife who’s working full time too will be on at least 20,000, so what’s your money going on?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As pension contributions are generally only paid on base salary this would suggest that you earn £27k plus overtime. Hardly a pittance as your wife also works and your children are all adults and no longer dependant. Having chosen to have three children will also have impacted on your ability to make provision for your retirement - a personal choice you can hardly blame others for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure