PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If you could live anywhere in the UK...

Options

Comments

• Hectors_House
    Options
    BeattieOG wrote: »
    That's high on our list for all of your reasons! Also it has a GREAT NHS Trust

Also on our list - we've been looking at houses in the Broads, so beautiful

I live in a small coastal village on the Norfolk coast. It reminds me of my childhood in NZ.

There’s no real work locally but Norwich is only half an hour away and there are good jobs there.

Most of my career was spent in Nottingham and I have no interest in going back there.

A lottery win would see me buying a small bolt hole in London and one of the older houses in my village, or further up the coast just for more space.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As now, in the UK in the EU.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    We’ve done it! Moved in December from Essex to Cumbria purely for the love of it. Sold the house, quit our jobs, and came. :D

Seven months on we’re both out of probation at our new jobs and have recently had an offer accepted on a house.

Friendly people, wonderful pace of life, and so much less traffic! If you’re in Essex you’ll understand when I say that the M6 (which runs through the county) in rush hour is about as busy as the A12 at 11pm. :rotfl:

The north-west isn’t for you if you like a dry climate though. ;)

The north east is generally a bit drier but a bit colder.
  • Crumble2018
    Crumble2018 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lived in Essex my whole life, but would like to live in Yorkshire - somewhere around Harrogate/Ripon. We've set a target to do it about 5 years.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    I've never understood why people would want to live, or more, retire in a place remote from a hospital.

I've never understood why people would want to live in a city; noise, pollution, crime, traffic, too many people, no community, the list goes on...

Focusing the entire rest of your life on proximity to a hospital seems a very gloomy way to live; life is for living not worrying about whether you might get ill tomorrow!

For me, rural Wales is the dream I'm living... quiet, fresh air, practically zero crime, real communities, stunning scenery from your bedroom window, ever-changing wildlife through your kitchen window... we pinch ourselves every single day. :beer:
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Lake District!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't understand why people want to live in cities either. All that noise and traffic fumes and concrete everywhere.

Our dream is to live on the coast somewhere rural. We love Norfolk, Wales and The North East and North West of England. BUT ..big but, we also want / need to be near family, at the moment there is an elderly relative to keep an eye on and I am hoping there might be grandchildren soon and I want to be a big part of their lives....

Also there seem to be more jobs around London (horrid place).

I dream of a home with a rural view, preferably a seascape.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We did it 12 years ago.

Retired and moved to the far north of Scotland. We lie in a rural Strath on a single track road . Our nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away- apart from the sheep next door.

You couldn't meet a friendlier group of people who live around here.

There are many English exiles up here.

Nearest shop is 7 miles away on next village and small town with supermarket is 17 miles away.

Enjoying the much slower, less stressful pac of life up here.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never understood why people would want to live in a city; noise, pollution, crime, traffic, too many people, no community, the list goes on...

I have two homes, one in central London and your perception doesn’t tie up with my 5 years experience.
    Yes sure some places are noisy, but back streets are surprising quiet. Try moving one street back from oxford st, it’s empty.
    Pollution I can’t argue against.
    I’ve never had any issue with crime. Most shootings/knifings happen in gangland at 3am so don’t affect normal people.
    There’s lots of traffic but it’s also great to have many options for public transport like tube, bus, cycle, walk. I don’t drink a lot but it’s lovely to be able to be free to have a glass of wine with dinner without negotiating a nominated driver.
    I actually find London has more sense of community than the commuter town where my home is.

I don’t have any issue with people not liking cities, but I’m not sure your perception matches up to the reality. We also have loads of really nice parks in and around London and many smaller ones on local streets so there’s loads of green space.
    Focusing the entire rest of your life on proximity to a hospital seems a very gloomy way to live

Amen to that.
    For me, rural Wales is the dream I'm living... quiet, fresh air, practically zero crime, real communities, stunning scenery from your bedroom window, ever-changing wildlife through your kitchen window... we pinch ourselves every single day. :beer:

Sounds lovely.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I quite like where we are in Warwickshire. We live in a rural village with nice views but we're also only 10-15 mins away from the towns so we don't feel cut off from everything. As we're central we can pretty much drive anywhere within a few hours.

I always quite fancied somewhere near the cotswolds, although we stayed with friends in Norfolk the other week and that was beautiful too.

I would hate to live in a big city. I go to London sometimes for work and I can't wait to get home!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure