PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought my first house and hate it, SO much

Options

Comments

• dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I bought my home, I couldn't walk around barefoot because the place was infested with silverfish. I would turn a light on at night and watch so many of them all scatter in different directions.

It was all caused by an obvious leak that the previous owners just didn't care about (there is no way they couldn't have noticed it) that had been leaking for a while and caused lots of damp. The damp may also be what is causing your place to smell bad.

After placing lots of chemicals down and fixing the leak, the problem is now gone.

I also had to renew the floor, as there was vinyl before that looked like it had never been cleaned.

Just tackle each room at a time and keep your head up. It will eventually become your home.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lumabones wrote: »
    Do you think we should just ask for advice? Like is it possible to be seeing the odd one after treatment, etc? I know with woodweevils their cycle is relatively short, 6 months to a year I believe? Do you think we'd be better off waiting until they next come out before?
    Doesn't the treatment come with any kind of warranty...?
    I'd rather have carpet as I'm getting real sick of walking on floorboards.
    Spend a hundred quid at the Swedish Embassy on rugs.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How's it going, Lumabones?
  • LC06
    Options
    Hi there 

I found this thread as I am also suffering badly in a new flat that I bought. I have been in my flat about 10 months now and I love the flat but the problem is the neighbours.. for the first 6 months thinks were great but then they got a dog! It’s a puppy and to be honest it’s pretty mental. They have laminate flooring (the title deeds forbid this) and the noise travelling in the living room and bedroom is unbearable. We have spoken to the owner who was apologetic but nothing has improved. I am now thinking my only option is to move which I am sad about. I want to try my best to hold on to one more year (although every day is a misery) will I lose a lot of money if I swell up in a year? 

Thanks 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LC06 said:
    will I lose a lot of money if I swell up in a year? 

If you swell up too much, you may have problems getting out the door.

You can work out how much you might lose financially by looking at likely selling price, then factor in your moving costs.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,526 Forumite
    Options
    LC06 said:
    Hi there 

I found this thread as I am also suffering badly in a new flat that I bought. I have been in my flat about 10 months now and I love the flat but the problem is the neighbours.. for the first 6 months thinks were great but then they got a dog! It’s a puppy and to be honest it’s pretty mental. They have laminate flooring (the title deeds forbid this) and the noise travelling in the living room and bedroom is unbearable. We have spoken to the owner who was apologetic but nothing has improved. I am now thinking my only option is to move which I am sad about. I want to try my best to hold on to one more year (although every day is a misery) will I lose a lot of money if I swell up in a year? 

Thanks 

You should start your own thread....

But you should complain to your freeholder (or their managing agent).

You say that the neighbours are breaching their lease by having laminate flooring, and probably breaching their lease by have a dog that is causing annoyance - your lease probably allows you to insist that your freeholder takes action against them.  (But you might have to pay your freeholder's costs for any action.)

Obviously, that could strain neighbourly relations - but it's them who are 'breaking the rules'.

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Options
    If you complain you might have to declare the problem with neighbours when you sell? Biggest recession in 300 years isn`t the time to sell so you will likely be losing money but it comes down to how much you want/need to move really?
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you complain you might have to declare the problem with neighbours when you sell? Biggest recession in 300 years isn`t the time to sell so you will likely be losing money but it comes down to how much you want/need to move really?
    Can you please substantiate "Biggest recession in 300 years" with strong empirical evidence, thats a bold statement.
    Thanks 
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You know what Crashy is like. He likes to pick and choose his figures to suit his story.

What was actually said was "Official forecasts now predict the biggest economic decline in 300 years"  which is completely different to Crashy's rewrite.

The UK economy is expected to shrink by 11.3% this year. Well no !!!!!! Sherlock. It reduced by over 20% earlier in 2020 due to the first lock down and has recovered some ground since.

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Options
    You know what Crashy is like. He likes to pick and choose his figures to suit his story.

What was actually said was "Official forecasts now predict the biggest economic decline in 300 years"  which is completely different to Crashy's rewrite.

The UK economy is expected to shrink by 11.3% this year. Well no !!!!!! Sherlock. It reduced by over 20% earlier in 2020 due to the first lock down and has recovered some ground since.

Do you think someone hearing that will be any more inclined to overborrow for a flat than if they had read my post? Not saying the OP`s flat is overpriced because we don`t know if it is yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback