memory foam matresses

Options

Comments

• sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I had one to Sleepymy, in my DDs bedroom, was rubbish, the worst bed ever, needed replacing within two years.

My superdupa one is fab, you should buy it, I love it:smileyhea :smileyhea :smileyhea

Before this one I had a Sealy & that was OK, far better than the Silentnight, but not a patch on the new one;)

Happy new year, are you having a quite one;) or going to be drunk & disorderly:rotfl:

Oh it'll be a quiet one, this is my bad time of the year, was like a zombie all Christmas :rolleyes: I was going to try and go out bed shopping today but wasn't fit, it worked out better though cos a guy who ad I'd answered got back to me to say his double sleigh bed is still available. He kept it in the spare room so it's hardly been used and he's selling it and the mattress for £150. I really fancied a sleigh bed because I usually spend Dec - April/March stuck in bed and the sleigh beds look so cosy :cool:

I was going to spend about a grand on a bed so even if I find that I need a new mattress with this one I'll be saving money :money: :D Only problem is we're used to a kind size so by the time the cat spreads out I'll be shoved over to the middle and have to try to sleep close to a stinky snoring boy :eek:

Hope you have a wonderful NY :beer:
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    hilljud wrote: »
    Go online to matressman. They have memory foam mattresses in kingsize for £98. :TThey are slight seconds and they say this is because they are not as dense as they should be. They recommend them if you are no more than 10stone. We brought one for our bunk beds and cut it in half - perfect for the kids and worked out much cheaper than anything else on the market. The customer service is excellent too.

If the memory foam is low density, then you might as well buy a reflex foam only mattress for less money, as the memory foam won't give good support.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I had one to Sleepymy, in my DDs bedroom, was rubbish, the worst bed ever, needed replacing within two years.

My superdupa one is fab, you should buy it, I love it:smileyhea :smileyhea :smileyhea

Before this one I had a Sealy & that was OK, far better than the Silentnight, but not a patch on the new one;)

Happy new year, are you having a quite one;) or going to be drunk & disorderly:rotfl:

Sealy are the same make as Silentnight
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Sealy are the same make as Silentnight

Well perhaps they make different quality for different names.

Like tesco value, tesco normal & tesco finest.

Manufacturers often do different quality ranges.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Well perhaps they make different quality for different names.

Like tesco value, tesco normal & tesco finest.

Manufacturers often do different quality ranges.

No they don't. The Sealy was probably just a better model (higher up the range).
  • GWilliy
    GWilliy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have a bit of a strange challenge :confused:

I spend the majority of my life in a motorhome which currently has a fixed double bed which I am determined to convert into a single (when I get time).

My current mattress is a ten years old 5" std foam, quite soft, but now getting very grubby and definately in need of a change. This sits on a solid board (actualy two split lengthwise as half lifts up for storage)
    My plan :idea: is to simply move one board on top of the other and make it into a single that could (rarely) be pulled out to make it back into a double.
    I love the idea of Memory Foam & am thinking of getting a Double 3" or 4" Topper and eventually cutting it in half when I make the conversion. My plan would be to treat the mattress much like the boards having a total of 6" or 8" Thickness in single bed mode.
    It gets hot in here in mid summer (without A/C running) and really :snow_laug in winter (before i switch heating on with my big toe ;-), I can usually sleep on any surface but naturally prefer to be comfortable.

Looking on ebay I see two options for a cheap solution :think: , each from different sellers that seem to have been selling these and full mattresses for ages.

**************** Lifted from advert :rolleyes: ****************
    Option 1 - 4" Std Double @ £80 Total Incl Delivery (RRP £299)
    Memory Foam Depth: 2” & 2" base reflex
    High Density 65 kg/m3 Visco Elastic Memory Foam Topper
    UK Fire Retardent BS5852/BS7177
    UK Manufacturer
    10 Year Guarantee
    How can we do it so cheap?
    Because you’re buying directly from the manufacturer.
    No distributor margins, no salesmen, just an exceptional product at an honest price.
    Part of the price you pay for silentnight and tempur products goes towards paying for their fancy TV adverts
    don't throw your money away!

Feedback = although most were about fast Delivery product descriptive ones ranged from V comfortable to Best Nights sleep ever had
    I Could'nt find any complaints or that compared against other Mem Foam Mattresses

Option 2 - 3" Std Double @ £67 Total Incl Delivery (RRP £159)
    This is a 100% Genuine Memory Foam Product.
    3" High Density 65 kg/m3 Visco Elastic Memory Foam
    UK Fire Retardant BS5852/BS7177
    10 Year Guarantee
    Made in United Kingdom
    We have sold almost 10,000 Memory Foam Mattresses and Memory Foam Toppers within the past year and we dont have a single complaint from any of our customers

:question:1: How come I've not found reference to these ebay sellers on these forums? they do seem considerably cheaper than what everyone is paying?

:question:2: How come they're so cheap?
    (:naughty: please don't just post that they are crap because they are so cheap unless you have personnaly tried one or have Factual reasons why)

:question:3: Is it OK to put one on top of another for single bed mode? (4" option with two layers would offer interesting combinations ie. reflex foam in two seperate layers or both together in middle)

:question:4: What do you folks think I should do?

Sorry for such a long and rambling post

PS. Tim I realize you are in the Trade so you can pass on this one if you wish, but I would appreciate your factual comments (having read your posts you are obviously a valuable & unbiased member, have the patience of Jobe ref:"I'm unable to turn my mattress over so single sided ones are better value" :rotfl: )
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    GWilliy wrote: »
    I have a bit of a strange challenge :confused:

I spend the majority of my life in a motorhome which currently has a fixed double bed which I am determined to convert into a single (when I get time).

My current mattress is a ten years old 5" std foam, quite soft, but now getting very grubby and definately in need of a change. This sits on a solid board (actualy two split lengthwise as half lifts up for storage)
    My plan :idea: is to simply move one board on top of the other and make it into a single that could (rarely) be pulled out to make it back into a double.
    I love the idea of Memory Foam & am thinking of getting a Double 3" or 4" Topper and eventually cutting it in half when I make the conversion. My plan would be to treat the mattress much like the boards having a total of 6" or 8" Thickness in single bed mode.
    It gets hot in here in mid summer (without A/C running) and really :snow_laug in winter (before i switch heating on with my big toe ;-), I can usually sleep on any surface but naturally prefer to be comfortable.

Looking on ebay I see two options for a cheap solution :think: , each from different sellers that seem to have been selling these and full mattresses for ages.

Option 1 - 4" Std Double @ £80 Total Incl Delivery (RRP £299)
    Memory Foam Depth: 2” & 2" base reflex
    High Density 65 kg/m3 Visco Elastic Memory Foam Topper
    UK Fire Retardent BS5852/BS7177
    UK Manufacturer
    10 Year Guarantee
    How can we do it so cheap?
    Because you’re buying directly from the manufacturer.
    No distributor margins, no salesmen, just an exceptional product at an honest price.
    Part of the price you pay for silentnight and tempur products goes towards paying for their fancy TV adverts
    don't throw your money away!

Feedback = although most were about fast Delivery product descriptive ones ranged from V comfortable to Best Nights sleep ever had
    I Could'nt find any complaints or that compared against other Mem Foam Mattresses

Option 2 - 3" Std Double @ £67 Total Incl Delivery (RRP £159)
    This is a 100% Genuine Memory Foam Product.
    3" High Density 65 kg/m3 Visco Elastic Memory Foam
    UK Fire Retardant BS5852/BS7177
    10 Year Guarantee
    Made in United Kingdom
    We have sold almost 10,000 Memory Foam Mattresses and Memory Foam Toppers within the past year and we dont have a single complaint from any of our customers

:question:1: How come I've not found reference to these ebay sellers on these forums? they do seem considerably cheaper than what everyone is paying?

:question:2: How come they're so cheap?
    (:naughty: please don't just post that they are crap because they are so cheap unless you have personnaly tried one or have Factual reasons why)

:question:3: Is it OK to put one on top of another for single bed mode? (4" option with two layers would offer interesting combinations ie. reflex foam in two seperate layers or both together in middle)

:question:4: What do you folks think I should do?

Sorry for such a long and rambling post

PS. Tim I realize you are in the Trade so you can pass on this one if you wish, but I would appreciate your factual comments (having read your posts you are obviously a valuable & unbiased member, have the patience of Jobe ref:"I'm unable to turn my mattress over so single sided ones are better value" :rotfl: )
    1. Because they are just selling toppers and not actual mattresses. Most of the posts on MSE are about mattresses.
    2. Without having a link to the items it is impossible to tell. They could be bankrupt stock, or they could be cheap low quality imports from China. Can you post the links.
    3. No. You need a 2" layer of memory foam on top of at least a 6" layer of reflex foam.
    4. Your best bet would be to go to the foam stall on your local market, buy a can of spray adhesive and make your own.
    Won't 2'3" be too narrow?
  • GWilliy
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy response Tim, I never :idea: of making my own that's definately a possibility :T

I did'nt link directly to them as I'm not sure about the advertising rules/sensitivity here but heres one of the sellers, there are a few doing the same thing - this one has over 20,000 sales and does up to 10" thick King Size Mattresses (3" Mem on 7" Reflex) for £175 too.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MemoryFoamShop

Maybe I should buy a 6" (1x5) or 10" (3x7) SuperKing and donate the offcut single to my Son

PS. As prev stated - Invaluable :beer: - Thx
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    GWilliy wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy response Tim, I never :idea: of making my own that's definately a possibility :T

I did'nt link directly to them as I'm not sure about the advertising rules/sensitivity here but heres one of the sellers, there are a few doing the same thing - this one has over 20,000 sales and does up to 10" thick King Size Mattresses (3" Mem on 7" Reflex) for £175 too.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MemoryFoamShop

Maybe I should buy a 6" (1x5) or 10" (3x7) SuperKing and donate the offcut single to my Son

PS. As prev stated - Invaluable :beer: - Thx

After looking at the ebay listing I suggest you make your own.

The memory foam is too deep at 3". You will just sink into it and be engulfed which can make you too hot.

I'm not even convinced it is memory foam as the describe it as 'closed cell structure'. Memory foam is open celled, which is how it works. Reflex foam is closed cell.

It also makes me suspicious that they don't show a photo. There are a number of sellers on ebay who are selling cheap reflex foam mattresses as memory foam.

There should also be no need for a four week delivery if they come from a UK manufacturer.
  • radhadee
    radhadee Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TIM IF YOU CAN READ MY THREAD PLEASE ADVISE

OR ANYONE ELSE IF YOU HAVE HAD THESE TWO ITEMS

290287579901 or 200292778757
    on ebay

i have only the budget for one sided mattress with memory foam.
    i am at a loss as to which is better, both have great reviews and feedback
    i have also emailed the buyers and have had good reviews on both.
    which would you recommend. i know its not a madrid, but i cant afford that much. please answer asap as need to make decision. too long have i pondered and read and re read threads on here.
    you seem to have good knowledge tim, so thanks in advance.
    dee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport