NST A Gentle Jog Through July

Options
mothernerd
mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 28 June 2019 at 6:40PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
NST JULY

A GENTLE JOG THROUGH JULY

One of the pleasures of being a turtle is that each month we can start afresh, leave the things that didn't go to plan behind and resolve to do better, keep the bits that we did right and get nearer to our ultimate goal or goals.

We are now half way through 2019 so it's time to pause for reflection. Are you where you should be, has life sent you on a detour or do you need to refine or redefine your goals. Is everything going swimmingly or are you plodding through wet sand.

In June apple gave us a fine manifesto of things we should reduce/ do less of and things to Maximise/ do more of. I think we might be in need of a little staycation. I thought about various aspects of holidays (adventure, exploring new places and different food, unwinding on a beach with a good book, swimming, visiting places of interest, pampering) and have tried to incorporate them into this challenge.

It's still a challenge. All the usual NST elements are there with added fun and sprinkles on top (may also offer inspiration for the parents amongst you). I have also consulted some lists of things that are celebrated in JUly and some to be aware of.

A Adventure - do something that scares you, just a bit. Can be physical like white water rafting or just being more sociable.

G Get creative in the kitchen. Make something that reminds you of a holiday or spice up your salads with all the available fresh produce. Plan your meals, put some things in the freezer for days when you don't feel like cooking ('the heat, the heat) and think of a few things to take on a day out (frozen sandwiches or a bottle of diluted cordial frozen overnight will keep everything in your rucksack cool and fresh)

E Eat Beans Day is on the 3rd July. Substituting bean or plant based meals for meat is good for you and for the planet. Even if you only open a tin of baked beans, it's good for your wallet (one of Martin's money saving mantras is to have 'something on toast' once a week).

N NSDs Low target 3 per week (12/13 for the month)
High target 4 per week (17/18 for the month)
No Spending Days are days when you do not go into shops or online to purchase anything. YS (reduced price yellow sticker) food is exempt, as are medicines and medical expenses (no-one should forgo treatment to save an NSD) and petrol/travel pass taken from a budget set up at the beginning of the month (cannot predict when you will run out of petrol and we don't want stranded turtles). Items bought on someone else's behalf (eg work expenses) do not spoil your NSD. Greent has a milk exemption.

T Take care in the sun especially if you know you have problems. Ditto for children. Beware of walking dogs on overheated pavements. July 3rd is 'Stay out of the Sun Day' as well as eating beans. It is also 'Disobedience Day' so you can have a free pas to break one rule then (just a small one, not a month destroying one).

L Live on what is left after paying towards your debt or savings.

E Exercise - take advantage of the long days to pack more in. Gardening and outdoor diy jobs count.

J July food days abound Fried Chicken (6th - try "Kissing' instead), French Fries (13th), Hot Dogs and Peach Ice Cream (17th - No not together), Caviar (18th) Daiquiris (19th). My favourites are Fresh Spinach Day (16th) Blueberry (8th) and Vanilla Ice Cream (23rd). Other Ice cream days are available. Use these as a jumping off point to add some summer fun to your meal plan.

O (H2)O Water fun. Swimming, aqua-aerobics, canoeing. Even a few buckets and bowls in the back yard will provide hours of amusement for younger children and furbabies. Remember to make sure everyone drinks plenty too.

G Geeks Unite. July 13th is Embrace Your Geekness Day. July 8th is Video Games Day. So have a trekkie or Red Dwarf marathon, cosplay your favourite game character or craft some Whovian goodies.

T Think of those who are ill. July 24th is National Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Day. Other health awareness days are World Hepatitis (28th), Gastroschisis (babies born with internal organs outside their bodies - 90% now survive) (30th).

H Help those in need. International Day of Friendship is on July 30th. 'Cheer up the lonely Day' is on the 11th. Be a good friend/ work colleague/ neighbour and lend an ear to those whom you know are suffering.

R Relax. Take time out (especially teachers) and remember your children need downtime too. A frantic schedule of too many after school activities on top of school demands can leave children frazzled. It is good to have some activites/ days out to break up the long holiday but remember that being able to entertain yourself, sit in solitude or curl up with a good book are good life skills. July 22nd is Hammock Day.

O Our Bodies Our Selves. I will be eschewing Bikini Day (5th) but I will be embracing Compliment Your Mirror Day (3rd). My body is far from perfect but it has done me good service. I have not always looked after my body, I have not given it the foods it needs to thrive, I have worked it too hard and I have taken it for granted. So I will make a commitment to my body, to eat well, to move more and to take proper care of it. Include a pamper day this month, make it weekly if you can.

U Useless and ugly objects need to leave your home. Keep up the clutter clearing.

G Get out and about. Explore your neighbourhood. Do you have a local town trail and have you been on it? Do any local churches or civic buildings have open days. What exhibitions and activities are on?

H Half Year Review. Have you any family birthdays or significant events to celebrate in the next 3 months? Do you expect income to go up/ stay the same/ don't know (those on temporary contracts or in vulnerable jobs)? Which renewal dates are coming up and do you need to start price checking now? Look again at where you want to be in one year/ 5 years - are you on track or do you need to make changes.

J Just a couple more ideas for the holidays "Build a Scarecrow Day " is on the 7th and "Tedddy Bear's Picnic day is on the 9th

U yUo should take your lunch to work each day and take appropriate refreshments to hospital visits and on days out (unless these have been included as part of the 'experience' eg ice creams/ fish and chips). Avoid takeaways and processed food but feel free to experiment with 'fakeaways'.

L Look at each purchase to determine if it is a genuine need or just a want.

Y You should check in daily, if possible (especially when things go wrong).

The challenge runs throughout July start to finish.
My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 July 2019 at 6:39PM
    Options
    Reserved for contenders

1 mothernerd
    2 Kerry Woman
    3 greent
    4 thriftylass
    5 apple
    6 laurenh1
    7 sashanut
    8 dolly84
    9 wmf
    10 Toni's friend
    11 shabbychic12
    12 f0xh0les
    13 Deni debt-free dreamer
    14 Indigowarrior
    15 Karmacat
    16 misstara
    17 Speky Squarehead
    18 chocolatelover93
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you add me please. Thanks.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Count me in, please, mothernerd :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread. I'm in, please.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Love it! I'm definitely in!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me please, thanks Mothernerd
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all:j

Count me in please mothernerd
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread mothernerd, I'm in.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’d love to join please. Really enjoying reading about you turtles and lurked for a long time!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for running July apple.

DH's car is in for a service this morning so I am running to the garage and then we are both running back, should be nice as it is cool at the moment.

Not sure of our plans for today but I did say we would have tea out today as a payday treat, DS has requested a takeaway but that does rule me out as a vegan.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family