Credit card

Options
Hi I have a Halifax credit card normally I would pay off in full by direct debit . But I'm not able to this due to not enough work , the payment is due on 18 July for £697
What is the best solution ?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pay as much as you possibly can. At least minimum.

Moving forwards, don't put on your CC what you *might* not be able to pay back in full. i.e. Use it less. And build an emergency fund so that this doesn't happen again.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pay off as much as possible and as soon as possible - interest is calculated daily so as you know you are not going to be able to clear it the more you pay off sooner, the lesser the interest charges.

Is there a reason you always pay in full but are not able to this month? Has anything changed? Life has a habit of throwing in curve balls - sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture to see if it can be avoided in the future. As beany_bot says an emergency fund is a good starting point.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beany_bot is spot on.

Worth just adding - if you ever find yourself in a position where you're unable to make at least the minimum payment, phone them up straight away. Don't just bury your head in the sand, you'll end up paying loads of charges, as well as having negative marks on your credit history. Most lenders (at least, the respectable ones like Halifax, as opposed to The Kneecap Brother Ltd !) are very helpful, especially if it's a one-off glitch in an otherwise good history. You will probably still end up with a late payment marker on your file - there's little they can do about that, it's factually correct, and again, one bad mark in an otherwise clean file is of little concern. But they're usually very helpful in sorting out the best way to minimise charges etc.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well at the risk of stating the obvious you need to either cancel the DD or switch it to minimum payment. Then just pay what you can by other means.
  • mklowden
    mklowden Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I'm self employed painter and decorator contracted to a company .because of the bad weather we have had it has set me back financially. Other wise I would not have a problem paying it.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mklowden wrote: »
    I'm self employed painter and decorator contracted to a company .because of the bad weather we have had it has set me back financially. Other wise I would not have a problem paying it.
    All the more reason to build yourself a 3-6 month emergency fund during the good times, so that you've covered your behind against the seasonal swings of contracted work :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Can you get a temporary overdraft on your current account simply because I think the interest you pay on that will be less than on the credit card
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How short are you? if its a couple of hundred quid can you ask a family member to spot you?
  • mklowden
    Options
    I changed my bank to Barclays so won't offer me a overdraft at the moment.
  • mklowden
    Options
    Normally ask my parents but already borrowed 2grand of them during winter . I'm hearing alot of people saying put some away but that is easier said then done because I'm the only one that works at the moment and don't get help from benefits e t c
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure