Gap is Back - Time to Knuckle Down

Options

Comments

• girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, have a lovely weekend yourself, Lou :)

Pasta and cheese for tea last night, simple from the cupboard and fridge.

Saved Boyfriend £100 on his car insurance. He was going to roll it forward again :eek: He's learned nothing!! :mad: Anyway, I moaned at him so he let me do a comparison. Now he's cheering and talking about taking me for dinner to say thank you *facepalm* I'm telling him to put the money in his grocery budget. He doesn't have a grocery budget. He just doesn't get it. He could have saved a further £36 by paying upfront but he doesn't have enough to pay a lump sum so had to do it monthly (like the home insurance) then called me Mrs Moneybags because I do pay for mine upfront. That really gets my back up because I've spent years honing my budgeting skills so that I save enough throughout the year to enable me to pay upfront and save £36 or whatever the charge is for credit. Key point: save enough throughout the year. Not just "find" it when insurance time rolls around. It's a losing battle. Thank goodness we don't live together or share finances.

Off out for dinner later. I've already looked at the menus and I know what I would like. I'll have a drink or two but planning to come home after the meal. Shouldn't be too expensive if I'm careful. Any leftover funds will be kept for a girls afternoon out in a couple of weeks that my besties have decided to plan.
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,578 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your meal :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • girlatplay
    edited 29 June 2019 at 11:25PM
    Options
    Thank you Lou :)

I have this thing where I think that when I'm out for dinner with LMG that I have to pay every time. Does anyone else get that? Instead of my meal and drinks costing £27.50 they cost £55 which is way over my budget but she's my daughter, what can I do? She did offer to pay her share but I insisted she didn't. On a brighter note I am now home and she is still out so I will spend no more money. Anything spent from now will be her costs. I just have to repay the various pots that I borrowed the money from. It's totally not her fault, it's mine, I just needed to vent somewhere.

I managed to leave the restaurant (relatively sober) and get on the bus home but as I put my bus card on the reader it did a backflip out of my hand, straight into the change slot, never to be seen again (at least not by the driver, nor myself) and I had no other way of getting home unless I went to the cashline. It must have been my lucky night :cool: as the driver let me on and told me I would have to go to the bus shop on Monday (yeah?).

!!!!!! is wrong with me?

Nice meal though and a good evening :)
    300 282 payments to go.
  • beanielou
    Options
    I too have that thing about having to pay :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    girlatplay wrote: »
    Thank you Lou :)

I have this thing where I think that when I'm out for dinner with LMG that I have to pay every time. Does anyone else get that? Instead of my meal and drinks costing £27.50 they cost £55 which is way over my budget but she's my daughter, what can I do? She did offer to pay her share but I insisted she didn't. On a brighter note I am now home and she is still out so I will spend no more money. Anything spent from now will be her costs. I just have to repay the various pots that I borrowed the money from. It's totally not her fault, it's mine, I just needed to vent somewhere.

I managed to leave the restaurant (relatively sober) and get on the bus home but as I put my bus card on the reader it did a backflip out of my hand, straight into the change slot, never to be seen again (at least not by the driver, nor myself) and I had no other way of getting home unless I went to the cashline. It must have been my lucky night :cool: as the driver let me on and told me I would have to go to the bus shop on Monday (yeah?).

!!!!!! is wrong with me?

Nice meal though and a good evening :)
    Opposite here - I'm the daughter and always pay when I go out for food with my mom. After all, she spent so much on me as a kid. She does try to pay for some stuff but when it comes to meals I feel like that's a treat and I owe it to her. I think at 18 we're still too young to really think that way - I'm now 26 and pay my own bills away from my mom so that might make a difference? Ideally, it would be a straight split bill (rather than actually tallying up who is due what, a split is best)

In saying that I did let my mom pay for my haircut a few months ago because I was skint
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • girlatplay
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I too have that thing about having to pay :(

I'm glad it's not just me. It was my own fault because she was completely prepared to pay for her own but at the last minute I told her not to worry about it.
    JennyJukes wrote: »
    Opposite here - I'm the daughter and always pay when I go out for food with my mom. After all, she spent so much on me as a kid. She does try to pay for some stuff but when it comes to meals I feel like that's a treat and I owe it to her. I think at 18 we're still too young to really think that way - I'm now 26 and pay my own bills away from my mom so that might make a difference? Ideally, it would be a straight split bill (rather than actually tallying up who is due what, a split is best)

In saying that I did let my mom pay for my haircut a few months ago because I was skint

To be fair, she paid one time, not long after she started her part time job two years ago. It was a treat for me from her.

She has asked me again today if I want some money towards it but I've still said no. I just can't bring myself to take from her.

NSD today.

I've replaced £10 in one of the accounts I borrowed from, from the Slush Fund. Still got £5 to replace but I need it in cash.

Sent meter readings to the energy supplier, bill due tomorrow.

That's it today.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Options
    All dd's off today apart from the 7th of the month one. My mortgage hasn't updated for the month yet so I'll wait until that's done then update the spreadsheet.

I managed a loan overpayment of £50 on Friday so I'm delighted to be able to update my signature, not just with the normal monthly payment deducted but also with that little bit extra. I have put July's £50 into the holding account and if I don't need it in July then I'll pay it across at the end of the month. I think this is how the overpayment schedule is going to look.

Did a small grocery shop today, £16.02. Sent £17 to cc payments account. I still haven't properly meal planned for this week and I'm struggling to summon the will.
    300 282 payments to go.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Great news on the loan OP.
    Do you have thoughts on how you are going to pay off your mortgage?
    Hope July is a great month for you :)

• girlatplay
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Great news on the loan OP.
    Do you have thoughts on how you are going to pay off your mortgage?
    Hope July is a great month for you :)

Thank you. I hope you also have a great July.

Yes, I have plans for the mortgage. I have a S&S ISA which I pay into every month. Actually, the annoying 7th dd is the payment to that (annoying because all my other dd's come off on 1st of month). I don't count the ISA in my savings because it is for that. I do check it at regular intervals to make sure it is performing appropriately but I try to forget about it most of the time. The mortgage still has 27.5 years to go. In the past 11 years I have put approximately £45k in cash into my flat which is overpayments to the mortgage and also buying out the housing association's share (was originally bought via a shared equity scheme). Each month, when I find out what the interest is for the previous month, I pay across a little extra, bringing the balance down by at least £10 per month because, well, every little helps :)
    300 282 payments to go.
  • girlatplay
    Options
    Mortgage interest has updated this morning so I've paid £16.84 across.

Debt balances at today are:

Loan £6,630.02
    Mortgage £87,610
    300 282 payments to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories