165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Friday update:

1. Nothing from D2.

2. Nothing from the former DMC, FOS or ICO.

3. PPI cheque hasn't cleared, but should be by close of play; just my luck there was a glitch with the system when I paid it in!

Positive ending for today:

1. Paid my CC bill so I don't have to wait for that to come out of my wages next month. Paying the other one later.

Thought I would start a new month free of CC payments, not use either CC and just see how the job hunting goes. All of my wages September will be normal bills, food, petrol with a few hundred for savings.

2. Got another interview next week, had to ask if I can start late two days.

Again it's not the salary banding I need for getting a decent mortgage, but I'm treating these interviews as practice ones for the banding above, provided I get offered interviews, if not then I will take the band 4 and save like a mad woman to get the extra money I need.

Won't save on travel as the band 4 is bus, band 5 is car. But I will save on travel time if I get one of the band 5's, even though they are further away :D

3. Been working out mortgage deposits again. I need an extra £8k, ideally £14k. It's the difference between a 1 and 2 bed and gives me wiggle room. If I do get a band 5 role then I'm off to a great start!

Basically a band 4 gets me a 1 bed flat (with an extra £8k deposit), a band 5 gets me a 2 bed flat / house (with an extra £14k deposit). Both additional deposits are achievable on the respective bandings, but I would prefer a 2 bed flat for space, having mates stay over, lodger options etc.

Preferred location is 15 minutes drive, currently 30 minutes. I really do want that location!

4. Got a nice amount of holiday pay saved up for when I do leave the agency, over 3 weeks of money.

5. Moved some money around before I went to work.

6. Meeting my mates tomorrow for a day on the beach, subject to the weather, or a nose round the charity shops.

Debt balances stand at:

1. £0 (CCJ)
    On CRA.
    Settled in full.

2. £1867.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 15% off

3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 25% off
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Enjoy the beach. Keep posting so that you don't fall off the wagon. You can always move to the MFW board
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Enjoy the beach. Keep posting so that you don't fall off the wagon. You can always move to the MFW board

I won't fall off the wagon, it's taken way too many years to get where I am :)

Whether I'm debt free when I get a mortgage, or still have the two hangers on, I will be on the MFW board as I've planned my overpayments, seen the potential savings and also know how much to throw at my pension; I've made some friends here and I'm in no rush to leave!

I also enjoy my ramblings as I can see how far I've come and what plans I need to achieve.

We all will walk our paths and carry on supporting each other x
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Good to hear you will keep posting and stick with mse ways
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Sunny Sunday update!

1. No post yesterday.

1. Moved the bulk of the PPI money to my MSA's :D

2. DPA is my float / budget for clearing D2 and D3, plus paying for my divorce.

3. Spent yesterday at the beach, dancing the afternoon away fuelled by mulled cider and watching various artists performing.

I paid the price by ending up having to use my walking stick. Not sure how long it will take before I'm off it again, but was so worth it :D

The evening was spent back at my mates flat, talking properties, plans etc and she will give me all her building contractors details is I want / need to do anything to my home when I buy.

I also confessed the reason I don't go out is because of never having any money, but things are different now. She did get upset by that as she would have helped, gave me a bed/sofa and some drinks if I would have explained why. She has also noticed a difference in me since the PPI money, I'm more relaxed, laughing etc; I didn't think how I was feeling about my financial situation showed, but obviously it did!

4. Off to another mates flat today, I'm sizing it up with a view to how I would improve it. Potentially I could buy it;1 bed tenement, gorgeous building due to its age, but probably not viable as I don't want a ground floor flat and would need a wall taken out and one put in with a window for natural light to create a decent kitchen (the work isn't the deal-breaker). Obviously no good it I wanted to take a lodger or have mates stay over.

5. Still eyeing up properties, but I do know what I want and what work I'm prepared to do / have done. Hoping I can find a flat of G, 1 and 2 floors as I can manage getting up to a second floor flat :)

6. Moved some of my Friday wages to my MSA's today. One needs a certain amount paid in each month so I've met that for September.

Anyhow, I've rambled again... enjoy your day.

Debt balances stand at:

1. £0 (CCJ)
    On CRA.
    Settled in full.

2. £1867.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 15% off

3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 25% off

DPA float £3,630
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Ps Just checked one CRA and the CCJ is marked as satisfied :D
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Progress. Enjoy stalking property - I do.
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Monday update!

1. No post.

Positive ending for today.

1. Money moved to MSA's.

It's so strange having money in my regular account, still got over £30 in my purse from the weekend and cash in the flat.

2. Got offered an interview for the band 5, full-time, permanent role I hoped for where I'm temping :D

Have a week to swat up and a few of my workmates are giving me a crash course in bits I'm not doing in the temp role but need to do in the permanent role; we are all part of the same group/roles and cover when one is off and they really want me to stay.

I'm buying a suit this week as that's what I'm comfortable in when having interviews, then I can switch to part suit / smart casual if I get the role.

Please keep everything crossed for me!

3. Still eyeing up properties, opened it back up again to another two areas as I could afford to buy a house in those two areas and have an open fireplace etc, it would only be a flat in the area I would love to buy in.

Having wrecked myself the weekend and the difficulties I've faced living in this flat perhaps realistically I should be in a house / bungalow / upper villa. I honestly would not make it up several flights of stairs to a top floor flat.

But, I've a couple of months to make a final decision :D

No doubt I will remember something else I wanted to share after submitting this, but if I have it can wait a few days!
    19.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Hope your interview goes well. New clothes may help - I tend to practice in them first though if I can so others can confirm it looks good.
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Starting to believe dreams may come true update:

1. No post.

2. D2 instalment is next week. I'm still contemplating paying their offer to get rid of it.

1. Money moved to MSA's.

Feels odd being able to do this before payday :D

2. Worked out potential expenses / running costs /bills for my own place, plus overpayments of mortgage, emergency fund and savings. Will be fine regardless of what salary banding I get.

I increased my gas / electric costs, did a guesstimate on home / car insurance and looked at four different council tax bands etc.

3. Looked into white goods costs, must be mains gas as I can't stand cooking on electric jobs or in ovens!

Will start saving for them as well, only need about £700.

Have furniture as I kitted this flat out via BHF ;)

4. Still looking at properties online and progressed to downloading the home reports to get a feel for what the surveyors are picking up on.

I must admit they read a lot better than some of the content posted by FTB in the property threads, unless I'm just more open to what is contained in them.

I did grab a few for tenements but again nothing jumped out as being a concern.

All the reports had 1's and 2's, said if the property was non-standard and what it was made of etc. All were mortgageable material :)

I'm now swaying away from getting my own surveyor as I wouldn't buy a property unless the shell looked right.

5. Must start making enquiries with a few solicitors firms for conveyancing fees.

6. I do have my mortgage deposit, just need to get a bit more to cover broker, solicitors and mortgage fees; two months of my spare money from a full-time wage will sort that out; I will have the rest of my broker fee together this month.

It will all fall nicely inline with my divorce :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals