in Debt Free Diaries
165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day of rest update!

1. Email acknowledgement received from the FOS, they are waiting to hear from T and will review everything.

2. Going to call D2 tomorrow after work and see if they have instructions about my counteroffer. Swaying towards just settling this as per their offer as that will then be another one gone.

Positive ending for today:

1. Got my fruit, veg, breakfast and lunches purchased for this week.

Also slipped in a Christmas present for my OH's little niece, it's so sweet she calls me aunty :) All his family welcomed me from the start.

2. Filled my car up, forgot I had a voucher for 5p off a litre and had to grab it from my car after queuing to pay. Saved a whole 95p. But I've petrol for a few weeks now.

3. Spot of money moved to MSA's.

Debt balances stand at:

1. £0 (CCJ)
    On CRA.
    Settled in full.

2. £1857.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 15% off

3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 25% off

DPA float £3,620
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday update:

1. No post.

1. Had an interview this morning, got rejected a couple of hours later. Waiting on feedback :(

2. The person I've been covering for is back and I'm still going to be doing all her work for the foreseeable future, plus the new role I'm covering. She is in no rush to take any of her work on.

3. Divorce fees paid today, papers should be with my ex this week, then it's a 3 week wait to see if he disputes the divorce or not (he shouldn't be as it's a simple divorce with no money being claimed), then 2 weeks after that the divorce is granted.

Debt balances stand at:

1. £0 (CCJ)
    On CRA.
    Settled in full.

2. £1857.60 (£10pm) (enforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 15% off

3. £6,819.95 (£0pm) (currently unenforceable)
    Not on CRA due to age.
    Their counteroffer 25% off

DPA float £3,495
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday update:

1. No post.

2. FOS have allocated an investigator, I've again explained why I complained to them about T.

Strangely positive update:

1. Had over 30 phone calls and 9 voicemails from my ex's partner yesterday, asking why I'm divorcing him and under what grounds!? Never known someone to be unhappy their partner is getting divorced! Anyhow, I've decided any more of that crap and I'm reporting it and also seeking legal advice about an injunction; I should add I do not know this person!

2. Based on the above I have reverted to my maiden name at work and publicly; as I'm still determined to buy somewhere soon I don't want to risk screwing my credit history up by changing my banks etc over. But I may run it by my broker the weekend and see what his views are on it.

3. Need to set up a new email in my maiden name, but will do that tomorrow as I'm absolutely frayed today.

4. Started doing the new stuff at work, I'm halfway through the first task already! Haven't heard anything about my application to them.

Having a lovely chicken curry tonight :)
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thursday update:

1. No post.

2. Just got home from seeing an agency, I've been registered with them for nearly three years, really good talk and understands why I don't want to return to my previous career, she does have a vacancy in my former career which sounds fine and I do have the experience, but my heart isn't in it as I've moved on!

2. Got two interviews next week:

a. The FTC just under FT, but low wages. I am very interested in this role and would sail along nicely in it and my degree would work well with it, I can get heavily involved in projects etc and is the site I'm working at, which is where I want to stay and part of the job / tasks I started this week.

b. This is a FT role, different site, better salary, interesting and busy role, good area to work in and grab experience. Sorry I sound flaky on this one, I was offered an interview a while back and it got postponed.

On a side note, I dropped into conversation my applications, interviews but lack of offers to another manager I work for (I work for about seven) and OMG, it was the best thing ever, he explained how they judge interviews, what I need to speak about and how much detail I need to go into! Will be testing it out in my first interview next week :D

Sorting the prep out the weekend.

I've yet to hear about the other role I'm really keen on.

3. Dropped my broker a quick message about reverting to my maiden name, it could cause a problem with a conventional mortgage company, with an adverse lender it shouldn't but will still need an explanation.

I'm tempted to leave things as they are as I've come too far in nearly three years to have a set-back!

4. Been mooching round mortgage calculators based on the lower salary, I can get a property, it may not be the house style I like, but worst case is get a home, pay a small mortgage each month, save a new deposit and move after a few years; payrises plus a contract extension or permanent contract would make a difference.

I do love a good plan!

5. Bit of money to MSA's. Just waiting for month end bills to come out, bit of shopping and then I can move the remainder over.

6. Started getting my Christmas presents together.

Steak and rice for tea tonight :)
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekend update:

1. Had confirmation the divorce papers have been sent to my ex. Let him know but he hasn't received them yet. Made myself clear I won't be speaking to his GF, why he thought I would is beyond me. I also said the house is his and it's a clean break divorce.

2. Going to phone D2 this week and see what offer is on the table, just want the debt gone.

The money in my DPA is for debts with a couple of hundred for my emergency fund.

1. Treated myself to eyebrow threading and some new nail varnish.

2. Purchased a few boxes of hair dye, currently sat here smothered in the stuff, the second box will last me two re-dyes.

Want to make a fabulous impression at the interviews this week!

3. Popped to Pets at Home and treated my cat :D

4. Interview one prep done, will do interview prep for number two in a few days.

What's good about these two roles is they are lower salaries, less technical requirements, but with scope to progress up a few levels as more experience is gained.

Interview one is a permanent role, salary is a bit more than I'm after and full time, good role and would easily get a mortgage, doesn't quite fit as well with my degree; it would if I go in a different direction with it but until it starts properly and I get the first two years out the way I won't know for sure if I will carry on with biology or another natural sciences route.

Interview two is FTC, slightly less salary than I want and isn't quite full time; if it was FT then it would be bang on my minimum requirements, but the actual role is what I am after and the site is where I want to work, is putting me on shaky ground with getting a mortgage, but works well with my degree. It's also the role I am now kinda covering.

Either way I must go all out at the interviews to bag one of the roles as I my assignment will soon end.

Still haven't heard if I've made it through the application stage for a role I'm really keen on.

5. Looking at properties but for the money I can't get better than over the water, so as much as I fell for the area over this side, it's not going to happen.

I've been looking into shops etc over my proposed area and they are good enough for me :) it will mean a drive to see my friends and bunking on the sofa for girls nights out, but small price to pay for huge savings and a home I would be happy in.

6. Bit of money to MSA's.

7. Tried a couple of reclining chairs today. I've now ruled them out as they didn't work well with my health.

Roast pork for tea :D
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midweek update:

1. No post.

1. Got offered the role I had the interview for at the start of this week :D start this month!

Worked out nicely timed as I was advised my assignment ends next week!

2. Told my OH, going to celebrate the weekend.

Also celebrating with my best friend the weekend.

3. Emailed my broker to give him the news, still working closely with him to get my end result of a mortgage. Got to wait and see what steps I need to do next :D

I'm happy, grinning from ear to ear, and am lost for words!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Midweek update:

1. No post.

1. Got offered the role I had the interview for at the start of this week :D start this month!

Worked out nicely timed as I was advised my assignment ends next week!

2. Told my OH, going to celebrate the weekend.

Also celebrating with my best friend the weekend.

3. Emailed my broker to give him the news, still working closely with him to get my end result of a mortgage. Got to wait and see what steps I need to do next :D

I'm happy, grinning from ear to ear, and am lost for words!

Wooohooo, happy for you MF! You deserve that good news at last, well done! Xx
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    Wooohooo, happy for you MF! You deserve that good news at last, well done! Xx

Thank you so much! I started to doubt I would ever get a role with them, but I said something right in this interview :j

Was told I could delay my start date so I could have a week off, but the quicker I start, the sooner I'm on payroll. My new manager was surprised I recognised his voice on the phone, so again I've created a good impression. I said I'm keen to start so tell me the start date and I will be in :)

Hard part will be going into work tomorrow and withdrawing from my two interviews where I am based. But I would have been mad to turn down a permanent role for a chance at two FTC, lower paid, roles.

Just have to get my head round a few things with the perks; pensions as they have the normal type and DB and I think DB is better? Will soon get to grips with the work and systems; not used what they have due to limited access as a temp.

Have to renew my bus pass, bus routes planned already, can revise etc on the commute as that's about an hour each way (mainly due to waiting and connecting buses, technically I could catch one bus and walk, but the walk will be too far for me), the salary (and subsequent payrises, subject to doing well) will still keep me under the maximum allowed for my degree funding (my new department fully understood why I'm doing the degree and accommodate time off for exams).

Been nattering with my broker and once I have salary details / start date he can dig around to see what options are available to me and then start to put my plan into action.

Looked at properties over this side again, it's still only flats I can afford. But will have to look into commuting costs / time where I can afford a house and weigh it up against a flat over here; after all it's not necessarily forever as I can progress up a band then move on up in to a different property in a different area over this side.

Reworked out figures, savings etc based on the lowest salary, so I know how much I can put away each month.

Head is swamped with everything I have been planning since I've moved, everything I've been trying to do since I quit my last job, tried so hard to get a new career since I moved and was so determined to stay with this business (I had sorted out more roles to apply for which would have took me to 35 of them eak), it doesn't feel real. No matter how many times I pinch myself, no matter how many times I blink, it doesn't feel real.

New permanent job and degree officially starts around the same time, I live a challenge :rotfl:
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly the weekend update:

1. No post.

2. Emailed D2 saying when my assignment ends and asking them to reconsider my offer :rotfl:

3. Must do another letter to D3.

4. Temp agency :mad: they are asking my new employer for an introduction fee :mad: I've never worked at the site I've got the role at, I never even visited or had contact with them, will go as far as saying I didn't even know it existed until the job spec went up! It's put a real dampener on my happy mood and I'm left wondering if the job will be withdrawn or even if that's part of the reason why I've been rejected after interviews! Had I known they would be requesting this fee I wouldn't have used them as a reference (didn't want to use my former employer due to me quitting!),. I know if ever I'm in this situation again I won't be using an agency for a reference.

Positive ending for the day:

1. Got my start date, no break between roles :j

2. Not going in on the lowest salary :T

3. Worked out take-home pay, pension payments etc. Had a play with mortgage calculators, worked out how much I can put away each month towards the deposit etc.

4. Looked into commute times and have ruled out over the water, it's within allowable distance / times, but minimum 90 minutes each way, want to keep it to an hour.

5. Looked at properties over this side again. With the slightly higher than expected salary a flat is possible, a house is possible if I look west. Can look into it properly when I start my role and get figures from my broker.

6. Broker form to be filled in the weekend :D it will be great updating that as several debts will be removed, several defaults and PDLs will also come off.

It's amazing how my CRAs look compared to when I first joined MSE, if it's the start of next year I can apply for a mortgage all bar one PDL will be gone (the last one isn't going anywhere due to the AP marker), possibly one or two defaults left and a satisfied 5 year old CCJ. I'm edging closer to having a normal credit history!

7. Moved 2p to MSA's today :rotfl:
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday update:

1. No post.

Will phone D2 next week and get one sorted out, that will only leave D3 to get rid of.

2. Need to prepare another letter to D3 to try and get one sorted out.

1. Broker form updated and emailed to him. Be interesting to see how much I could potentially borrow. I am nervous, but it's to be expected in the circumstances.

2. Will email solicitors tomorrow for conveyancing costs. I'm only contacting the ones I know are good and they were the ones I would have contacted without the discount. I've budgeted £1k which should be more than enough :)

Will put the solicitor on retainer when I know how much I can borrow and that it is possible for me to get a mortgage.

3. Money moved to MSA's.

4. Got two more paydays to come from this temp job plus my holiday pay.

Hopefully, I will make payroll for my new role to get paid in October and if so all my holiday pay will get saved to MSA's.

5. There's property open days this weekend and I'm going to view three properties; a 1 bed house, 3 bed flat and a 2 bed flat :j

Although the flats are obviously bigger, the house looks great, private garden, parking, would be easy to maintain and my own but of privacy/quiet; I've already planned my furniture in it :rotfl: , a little section in the garden for G&T in the sun and herb / veg patches - I do that each time I look online at properties, if I can't visualise everything then it isn't viable. I haven't had one yet I couldn't work with!

Not looking to make any offers, just see what they are like to rule them in/out when I'm starting to look / buy :eek:

6. One week left at my temp role and then I'm off to my new one and my degree officially starts, it's all go now!

Anyhow, had steak and rice, now it's feet up and relax.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion