I want to break free....

in Debt Free Diaries
165 replies 10.6K views

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your pain levels - it must be so hard to live with that all the time.
    Nice that your new boss is staying in touch and your current work team are being nice about you leaving.
    Boo to the no mortgage for 12 months - but as you say it gives you time to save up a decent deposit. There are people on the MFW board who are saving up for a deposit and have a diary on there - there is no reason why you can't keep your diary up on either board... Keep posting - it will help you stay on track... It certainly does me.
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - SUCCESS 13/4/22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 3811342714/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 258 payments to go. Now £198132. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your pain levels - it must be so hard to live with that all the time.
    Nice that your new boss is staying in touch and your current work team are being nice about you leaving.
    Boo to the no mortgage for 12 months - but as you say it gives you time to save up a decent deposit. There are people on the MFW board who are saving up for a deposit and have a diary on there - there is no reason why you can't keep your diary up on either board... Keep posting - it will help you stay on track... It certainly does me.

The pain is doing my head in. I don't know why but what the Dr did to check if I have sciatica is now really flaring up, I thought it had started to calm, I couldn't get comfy in bed and have got up just to take more pain meds.

I thought it was lovely of my new boss to message me and my current workmates being so caring, it's not a situation I've ever experienced before.

It's about 5 / 6 months before I can do viewings / offer on properties, as it should all then line up with being out the DMP for 12 months. So not too long in all honesty :eek:

i did work out my income / outgoings / savings / current savings it will give me a healthy deposit. By Friday I Will have reached my one goal as I decided how much I wanted in each of my higher interest rate accounts (£5k) and I'm only just over £50 short for the one, that will be transferred in on Friday and just top itself up each month with just under £5 interest each month. I can then focus on my other two to get them up to £5k each and again they will self increase with interest.

That will then leave my broker / conveyancing fees. My fixed bond matures at the end of this year and will cover my fees :rotfl: no need to save separately for them!

I will just sink my money into my higher interest accounts :T I'm aiming to save a set minimum from my new wages, I'm pretty sure I can do it based on how I've trimmed outgoings and managed to squirrel away money while working part-time. Imagine if it was another 12 month wait, I would potentially have 40% deposit :rotfl:

That's why I like chatting here as I can put ideas down, then change them if a better plan pops up, just too bad I end up rewriting half of what I've written!

Looks like I'm rearranging my spreadsheet again the weekend.
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday update:

1. No post.

Positive ending for today:

1. My assignment has now ended, admittedly I did do a whole day today to get everything cleared, but I've not put the extra hours on my timesheet. They were great with me all the time I've been temping and it was the least I could do to show my appreciation.

2. Was hard saying goodbye to everyone and was told not to rule out returning as now I'm in with them they support staff and encourage progression.

3. Looking at getting a tablet so I'm not restricted to using my PC for my degree, will offer me a bit of flexibility to sit in bed or on the sofa.

4. My degree starts tomorrow! Excited but nervous.

5. Money moved to MSA's. I've hit my first chunk and now concentrating on getting the other two up to the chunk too :D

6. Start my job on Monday and I've got to get outfits organised until I suss out whether it is as casual as my assignment was.

7. Will pick up my final wages from this week, plus my holiday pay and P45, next week.

I'm still appalled the agency charged my new employer for me getting a permanent position with them. Glad I do not need to have anything to do with them!

8. Thinking about downloading all my bank statements to show I've accumulated the deposit, means I can then do it monthly with the ones between now and the mortgage application, instead of panicking to get them all next year.

Planning a relaxing weekend, ease myself into my degree and have another look at my job spec ready for next week.
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weekend update:

1. No post.

1. I did purchase a tablet today, very pleased with it. Have ordered a case and mini keyboard to make typing easier; yes, I know how much I type in my diary off my phone!!

2. Uni is just warning up and getting used to their systems etc. Submitted my test assessment off my tablet. Did a few hours snuggled on the sofa and so far I seem to have survived. I have my one and only face2face tutorial next weekend and have put all the online tutorials in my diary; it's changed so much since I last did anything with them, back then it was books posted out and phone tutorials!

Must buy a proper office chair for my PC setup. There is no immediate rush but a basic chair from IKEA isn't good for me.

3. Have to organise my work outfits and bus pass tomorrow.

4. Got over £60 of survey pounds earned so far!

I'm feeling quite content as everything is moving in the right direction :)
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monday update:

1. No post.

1. Started my new job and have my own office :D

Got on well with my manager, which was good it wasn't just a fluke in the interview! He also told me exactly why I got the role which was a real confidence boost. I will be spending a few weeks settling in and shadowing him, then start taking the tasks on myself under supervision, then off on my own. We have already been discussing how my role will develop, if I want it to.

I'm getting a proper assessment at work to give me any adjustments required; he wants to do everything possible to make it easier for me at work and not look for another role! Also, I've been told to use the lift and not the stairs. I wasn't going to mention my health for a few weeks as I wanted my work to speak for itself, but he saw my walking stick and I explained what I'm like and how I self manage my health at work.

It has taken a lot out of me today as I've done too much walking but I'm snuggled on the sofa and ready to go to bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Glad you've had a great first day MF xx
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday update:

1. No post.

2. Will fire a letter off to D3 the weekend.

3. Former DMC offer acceptance being posted tomorrow.

1. Having a fab time in my new role :)

My boss is plotting my progression already. Signed me up for loads of training too!

2. Not had confirmation I will get paid this month, if it's next month I get my October wages all of that will get sunk into savings.

It's not a big issue if I don't get paid this month and will at least mean I can get my P45 to them in time for the November wages. Never thought I would hear myself say I'm not concerned about not being paid :D

3. Waiting on my last wages and holiday pay from temping, will have all of that by Monday; agencies work in strange ways compared to regular employers!

4. I'm not as tired as I normally am when working FT, nor am I in as much pain. I'm able to split my lunch into 2x breaks and 30 mins lunch; it's so nice having a very understanding employer, but I knew that from temping with them.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings :D
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so glad things are going well. Good if they are making reasonable adjustments for you too. in the first 8 weeks in a role it is easier for them to get funding for you potentially too...
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - SUCCESS 13/4/22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 3811342714/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 258 payments to go. Now £198132. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    79.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like everything is going well :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you ladies :)

I've my H&S advisor meeting tomorrow to discuss what other adjustments they can make for me. Nothing is too much trouble or deemed an unreasonable request.

I have settled into a routine and started organising every task I've been allocated so far, my boss is quite surprised at how I've got stuck in; I know he has had a few 'not suitables' before I arrived and it's really showing the difference. My way of working and planning is also appreciated.

There's several external courses I'm booked on already, I've completed three internal ones so far. I've got external trips planned too. He is keeping his word about progressing me!

What's nice is he is being completely open and honest about working here, but I had a taste of the foibles from temping at the other site, and also points me in the right direction with pension etc amongst other things. Potentially I'm looking at a decent DB pension if I stay til retirement. I've also been advised there are no concerns about me passing my probationary; I guess that's the thing when you take on someone over qualified and over experienced.

Yesterday felt like I had been in the department a while, today feels like I've been in for a few months; guess it's a sign of settling in ;)

Oh, the agency I temped for have !!!!!! him off as neither he, nor the bosses above him, can understand how they are claiming a fee for me getting a permanent position with the company. I have been very helpful in providing evidence to show my assignment was ending before I was even offered my role :D

Had my wage slip for my last temp wage and holiday pay. Not picking up as much HP as I had hoped, but that's deductions for you :(

Anyhow, I won't bore you too much about my job from now on as I've kind of covered it all.

Settling in with my degree too, I'm sure this first year of uni is going to pass without a hitch.

Having chippy night as my furbaby is overdue some deep fried chicken!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides