93 replies 22K views

Replies

• edited 9 April 2019 at 3:00PM
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019 at 3:00PM
    Years ago there was a series of threads here on MSE on feeding a family of four on a shoestring for a month. Weezl74 invested time in checking they met the minimum healthy eating guidelines. It is worth noting that a couple of the official guidelines have changed since, as well as food prices ... unfortunately! :p

Arguably one of the most important foods to include is oily fish for long chain omega-3s and vitamin D. Not least because of the time of year: here in the UK we have not had strong enough sunlight to manufacture/ convert vitamin D for many months now. IIRC official guidelines are for up to four servings of oily fish a week.

There are NO other wholefoods that are rich in these essential nutrients. Mushrooms that are marketed as a source of vitamin D contain a form that has to be converted in the body (needs sunlight). Similarly some seeds and vegetable oils contain short chain omega-3s, which needs to be converted in the body to the useable format (very inefficient).

The cheapest oily fish is large (400g) cans of pilchards in tomato sauce, or hot smoked mackerel fillets from the chiller because I often see them yellow stickered.

Please consult your pharmacist, family doctor or practice nurse if you are considering supplementing any nutrients.

Good luck! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks everyone. this is only a weeks challenge for me and its for a charity ,I`m blessed with good health so not worried it will not be sustainable or have an impact on health.
    Slimming World at target
  • pollyanna_26pollyanna_26 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    meg72 wrote: »
    thanks everyone. this is only a weeks challenge for me and its for a charity ,I`m blessed with good health so not worried it will not be sustainable or have an impact on health.

Good luck hope the charity benefits from your efforts.
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck - for a week I'm sure it's doable just get youself on RTC/YS watch x

• tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭

do hope you will let us know how u go on xx
    onwards and upwards
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    caronc wrote: »
    Good luck - for a week I'm sure it's doable just get youself on RTC/YS watch x

thank you I`m sure a cooking for one can manage for a week lol xx
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    do hope you will let us know how u go on xx

Will do love, I am working out what to eat starting on Monday ad will post the week after.
    Slimming World at target
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it's just for a week Meg. Would hate to think it was through necessity.

Denise
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your challenge meg. With your flair for YS you should do well. :T
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you meg!....a week is definitely doable...but I bet you will be glad when day 8 rolls around!