IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter Before Claim, EXCEL

Options

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the court will write to you, probably in less than 6 months , this order will give you the deadlines and proposed hearing date

read the BARGEPOLE post "what hjappens and when" in the NEWBIES thread
  • Pringle114
    Pringle114 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Just received a "Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track" I have until 23rd August to submit my witness statement to the court & Excel.

Do I submit my witness statement online or by post?

Also does the witness statement have to be strict facts only? For example, do I include that I was in a rush as I had to pick my daughter up and didn't have much time. Or is this seen as irrelevant?

Thanks for any more help!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Witness statements are covered in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum

See post #2 there
  • Pringle114
    Options
    Also, the letter states I must pay £25 court fees atleast 28 days before the hearing date, but there isnt a hearing date on the letter??
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The claimant pays that fee, not the defendant, read it more carefully
  • Pringle114
    Options
    Ok thanks for that I'll have another read
  • Pringle114
    Options
    Please take a look at me below draft witness statement. I don't have any hard evidence or documents to include as it's basically a "my word against theirs" scenario.

IN THE COUNTY COURT

CLAIM No:*********

BETWEEN:

Excel Parking Services Ltd (Claimant)

and

**********(Defendant)

Witness Statement

• I am ********, the defendant in this matter. I will say as follows:

• On *****, I visited ******************.

• I parked my car then approached the PDT machine to purchase a ticket.

• Of the two machines that were there, one stated it was out of order. I then proceeded to use the other, which appeared to be working OK. I inserted my money into the machine, the machine did not issue a ticket and did not refund my money.

• As I had paid the required tariff and wasn’t issued a ticket (by fault of the claimant) I felt entitled to use the car park.

• Upon returning to my car I found a misleading red envelope, stating ''this is NOT a parking charge notice''. Many of the surrounding cars had the same red envelope with equally frustrated motorists.

• I have repeatedly requested PDT machine records at the time of the alleged contravention as I believe this will show a clear and obvious problem with the machines, but the claimant has been obstructive and continuously refused.

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Signature

Date

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Pringle114
    Options
    Anyone? I'm away on holiday this week and would like to get this sent off before I go.

Thanks
  • Pringle114
    Options
    Any opinions on my WS?? I don't want to send it off if it can be improved/changed.

Also, is a skeleton argument recommended?? It seems like a pretty straight forward case and not a great deal to expand on. Just wondering if its worth it/recommended?

Thanks!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2019 at 9:23AM
    Options
    Excellent. IMO no reasonable judge could uphold their claim. Have you considered asking for "unreasonable behaviour " costs, CPR27.14(2)(g) when you win?.

Also, complain to your MP and Trading Standards if you have not already done so as nine times out of ten these tickets are scams.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure