Muffins muffins muffins - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Muffins muffins muffins

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
394 replies 58.1K views

Replies

• JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    thanks again guys, i think im going to have real fun this weekend!
    #82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%
    4.3K posts
    i have some fridge fruit which needs to be used up in the next two days....one is pears and the other is peach, pear and pineapple, i thought it would be good to use this? saves me throwing it away. although im not sure how the pear would come out hmmmmm
  • ChurchmouseChurchmouse Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to add about muffins, I'm just pleased to note someone else who buys fridge fruit!!! I know it's the same brand because of the *flavours*:rotfl: I love it, probably too much:o (Have you got a stash like mine, half price from Sainsbury?)
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    4.3K posts
    yes indeed churchmouse:D and it is lovely too
  • I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what is "fridge fruit"?
    :rotfl:
    Is it what's left in the fridge that nobody's eaten?
  • greenpixeygreenpixey Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Hi, JD! I make lots of muffins. I use SR flour and baking powder, as I like them to rise lots. My main tip would be to measure out dry ingredients, then add the wet at the last minute, and get them in the oven. That way the raising ingredients retain all their oooomph!

My basic recipe:

300g SR flour
    1Tbsp baking powder
    80 g sugar (any kind - depends on other ingredients)

2 large eggs
    220ml milk
    100g melted butter

Pour into 12 muffin cases and bake at gas 6 for 30 mins. Eat fresh or freeze - they don't keep nearly as well as other cakes.

Favourite flavours:
    2 bananas and 100g choc chips
    100g raspberries, 100g white choc chips
    200g blueberries, top with demerara
    2Tbsp instant decaf coffee, mixed with splash of boiling water, 200g rough chopped walnuts.

HTH, Penny. x

I tried this today and they turned out beautifully. Risen fine and lovely on the inside. Only problem is...they are tasteless. (My own fault entirely) I mixed it with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 grated red Royal Gala apple. In the future I guess 1 - 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon would be needed and probably also a stronger flavored apple (but it was all I had at home)
    I'll be heading off to Asda tomorrow for some walnuts, bananas and choc chip.
  • furndirefurndire Forumite
    7.3K posts
    I made some Muffins this morning as well from Pooky's recipe. but I doubled the quantity. Put some yoghurt in instead of the milk, added a drained jar of raspberries, and a packet of choc chips. They are lovely - some are now in the freezer before they are totally gone. Took about 30 mins to make from start to finish, including washing up and tidying stuff away.
  • ChurchmouseChurchmouse Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Savingsara wrote: »
    I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what is "fridge fruit"?
    :rotfl:
    Is it what's left in the fridge that nobody's eaten?

No not quite!:D It's a plastic jar of 1 kg fruit in natural juice. The idea being that because it's got a screwcap, you use what you want and keep it in the fridge. Once opened it lasts 7 days. It's called *Nature's Finest*. Recently Sainsbury's were selling it half price and 'cos I love it and it WAS money-saving (:rotfl: )I stocked up!! Incidentally it has no preservatives, colour, or artificial sweetners and no added sugar. It's great for when you just want half a pear or a few slices of peach or whatever. (Not that I can remember the last time I ate so little:o )
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • csarinacsarina Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.6K posts
    greenpixey wrote: »
    I tried this today and they turned out beautifully. Risen fine and lovely on the inside. Only problem is...they are tasteless. (My own fault entirely) I mixed it with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 grated red Royal Gala apple. In the future I guess 1 - 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon would be needed and probably also a stronger flavored apple (but it was all I had at home)
    I'll be heading off to Asda tomorrow for some walnuts, bananas and choc chip.

pppppppppplllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee can I have the recipe in imperial measurments, I only work in lbs and ounces, my scales have weights, unless I can find metric weights cheap, I will continue to use lbs and ozs for now.................
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • oops_a_daisyoops_a_daisy Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    good luck with making the muffins JamieD - I made some for the first time last sunday from the basic recipie on the indexed threads. Simple to make - took minutes and the cooked well too. I put some cocoa and chockie drops in the first batch then made some more on monday with frozen blue berries ( didnt measure how many I put in though ) they didnt quite cook in the middle so I blasted them in the microwave for a few seconds and they were perfect. One word of warning - forget about dieting with these in the house :o
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool: