🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Just bought a Henry vaccum: this thing sucks nothing

Options

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »

I don't see a problem with their being limits on the power of vacuum cleaners. The problem Is that people like you assume that the higher the power the better the vacuum cleaner but that certainly isn't the case if you look at the tests done on decent vacuum cleaners.

Why would anyone want a noisy and inefficient vacuum cleaner when they can get a well designed one which work quieter and uses far less power with the same or better suction?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2019 at 10:02AM
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Washing machines are already fouled up with being low energy - they now have to run for far longer as they're not as powerful! Just bought a new one, and on the cycle we use most often, it now takes twice as long!
    Know exactly what you mean. Result being you use more electricity, so hardly energy efficient!!
    New washing machines aren't "low energy" They still use 2-3kw to heat the water. 90% of a washing machines energy use is for heating water. The longer washing times are to match how clothes are cleaned at higher temperatures but achieve this using less energy and water.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My mate's sister's nickname is Henry...

Chortle chortle....
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    gilbutre wrote: »
    Return pending now.

Could anybody recommend a reasonably affordable vacuum cleaner with some more than decent suction power?

You get what you pay for I find. Personally I have a Meile Blizzard which is so powerful it lifts the rug. At £249 it's not exactly 'reasonable affordable' but it's by far the best vacuum I've ever owned and I've been through many (Henry, Hoover, Dyson)

https://ao.com/l/search/101/99/?search=Miele%20PowerLine%20Blizzard
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    In recent times vacuum were greener and their power reduced. Hence newer vacuums have less suck.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    New washing machines aren't "low energy" They still use 2-3kw to heat the water. 90% of a washing machines energy use is for heating water. The longer washing times are to match how clothes are cleaned at higher temperatures but achieve this using less energy and water.

But if they use less water, they save energy.

Even my 8 year old Bosch machine is clever enough to only use just enough water to soak the clothes on the initial wash cycle. Older machines would just fill the drum with water to a pre-set level, then start washing.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    We've got two Numatic vacuum cleaners ... a Henry and a George.
    Both are hopeless at picking up cat hair from carpets, which is our biggest problem. Even with the pet hair aero brush, vacuuming takes ages and the brush itself is so noisy too.

We've solved that completely by buying two second hand Kirby vacuum cleaners, one for £30 and the other for £100. These machines are great for pet hair on the carpet and rugs ... the difference between them and the Numatics is like night and day.

We still use Henry though. He's great for picking up dust from furniture, getting cat hair off the settee, the long tube is useful for going round the ceilings for cobwebs, getting into nooks and crannies. But for the floors I'd recommend a good upright instead of a Henry. I can see why workies like Henrys. They're small, can take a knock, spares are readily available and cheap. And they're OK for some flooring if you don't have pets.

But if you have a cat or dog ... don't bother with a Henry. Get a decent upright instead.

We got the George for washing the carpets. It's hopeless at that, so much effort required and the results were dismal. He's been consigned to a cupboard and we steam clean the carpets with a Karcher now instead, great results.
  • ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Oh ... another upright we tried which is brilliant for pet hair on carpets.
    We got a 2nd hand Oreck XL off eBay for £10. It's great for cat hair. Very lightweight too ... we gave it away to an elderly neighbour who was struggling with his own cylinder cleaner due to him getting a bit frail.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    gilbutre wrote: »
    Return pending now.

Could anybody recommend a reasonably affordable vacuum cleaner with some more than decent suction power?

reconditioned hoover junior
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I chuckled when you said this was being moved on another area, post 23. See I would have moved it to a totally different area than where you did. I would have moved it to an area on the forum where it was EU bashing. I note the person who screamed blame EU received 10 thanks. I would not thank such a post. I feel this person and also the other ten have voted for this country to leave the EU.

That said, I am not too keen on these cleaners. I tried Dyson, the DC01 and it was really rather rubbish. My own opinion is only buy cleaners from the Hoover company. I have several, the Hoover Hurricane, the Turbomaster, a Dust Manager and one of them has the "Hoover headlamp" so you can see the carpet lit up.

Also don't buy Shake n Vac (SC Johnson) as this clogs up the heppa filters.

Hoping this post helps you a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family