What's the worst thing your pet has done?

Options

Comments

• Blinkyspears21
    Options
    I don't know if she did it intentionally but there was one time when we were walking, she jumped (or fell) and swam in a sewage filled with black stuff who knows what's in there. She was so smelly and so filthy. Our beagle is tricolor but after that incident, she was just black. Pure black. It took us days to get rid of the smell.
  • Bearothebear
    Options
    I’ve had my cat nearly two years and he’s gone missing about a dozen times. I had to get a collar with our phone number on. Now I worry that he’s gone missing if he fails to come home when expected, and I sometimes worry that he’s dead and I’ll never see him again. We haven’t dared stay away overnight since we got him, because he always looks for us when he comes in, and I worry that if he thinks we’ve gone he’ll go and find a new home (he’s already testing his options around the neighbourhood). So I live in a constant state of anxiety.
    That’s worse than the live mouse he dropped on my lap,or the dead mouse on the sofa!
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my cats (the boy one, and the constant source of trouble) dragged a sewing needle out of the pin cushion and ate it (thankfully spotted) - a rush to the emergency vets for removal before it perforated him internally. But of course, he did this two days before we were due to go away on holiday - so cancelled flights and cat-sitter also factored in :mad:
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • OkaMan
    OkaMan Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I hope your cat is all right now. My cat recently ate clay. My daughter and her friend were playing and dropped the clay on the floor. The cat felt was very bad, we did not immediately understand why until we found the cause. But it is good that we quickly turned him to veterinary and cleaned his stomach.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Died .
  • AnnaBanana21
    Options
    My first pet was a male tabby cat that ruled the roost back in the 80s. He was into everything, climbing ladders, catching all sorts, once he caught a creature that he dropped in the garage, it was screaming in terror, I nervously put my hand in to a dark corner and rescued.... a baby rabbit, which happily hopped up the road, unharmed. He was a fantastic pet but one of the worst things he did was stealing the neighbours cooked chicken and somehow getting it over a 6 foot fence. They were not pleased and we never found the chicken!
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Love these stories especially the chicken over the fence! :D

Once caught one of our cats dragging a string of sausages in through the cat flap. To this day I know not which of our neighbours found their BBQ had been somewhat compromised :o.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of mum and dad's older moggies was a terror for pinching. She hoicked a lamb chop out of the frying pan while it was still cooking, and licked all of the cream out of a cream merangue. Still don't know how she managed to do that without disturbing the merangue shells.
  • louisajoyce
    louisajoyce Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    My current dogs have been pretty good really, a few of their own beds destroyed and nothing can be left on the worktops or it wont be there when we get back but nothing drastic from them.

One of my old dogs was an escape artist, one time she turned the key in the lock of the back door and let herself out. Cue a call from someone a few streets away (we always make sure they have their tags on with our details) saying she was in their garden and was shut in there safe, we rush home from shopping where we'd been less than an hour, grab a lead from our house and head to where she was being kept. We get there to an apologetic lady, the dog had only cleared her 8ft fence and escaped again. Panic ensues and we spend an hour searching the streets for her. Head home to get some water and make a find the dog plan to find her curled up asleep in her bed, this time we had closed the back door but not locked it so she opened it again to let herself back in while we were searching for her.

Another time she rattled the back door until the bolts (3 bolts, top, middle, and bottom to try and keep her in) work themselves open, turned the key and wandered to my brother and sister in laws a few doors away, it was a Sunday and they were about to put their meat in to cook for a roast but she crept in and stole the joint from the counter and devoured the lot.

Yet another time ( after we started taking the key out of the back door after locking it so she couldn't turn it to unlock it) she opened three internal doors, got to the hallway and reached up to open the Yale lock and let herself and our foster dog out. Our neighbours saw our foster dog and our front door wide open so put him in and shut our door. They didn't see her so she went on another wander. 9 hours she was missing with us frantic, thinking we'd never see her again. A kind teenager turned up on our doorstep with her around 7pm (again thanks to her tag with our details) she had met a group of kids on her travels and spent the day playing with them and went on an adventure along the river with them, one of the kids took her home and his teenage brother saw our address and brought her home.

I've never known a dog to escape as much as her but when we adopted her from rescue it was because she kept escaping from her home and getting into a farmers field of sheep, she never hurt them but the farmer was the families landlord and told them if she ever went in his fields again she'd be shot. She'd been to the pound several times already when found straying to the point the dog warden knew her well. The day after the threat from the farmer she got out again and ended up in the pound so the family signed her over to them and we got her.

Despite her wandering nature though she was the best dog, I've never had a dog like her before and probably never will again, she was our soul dog.

What a great story, thanks for sharing:T
  • amber_cloud
    amber_cloud Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Last summer my cat clawed all the sealant off from around the windows and doors. She thought she was a clever huntress as she used to present me with the strips of sealant as a gift. I had to reseal all the windows which was a bit annoying (praise be for YouTube DIY tutorials!). If only she'd done it to the mouldy sealant around the bath, which needed replacing anyway!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback