• avala202
    Options
    Thanks for the info bristolleedsfan
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    LADY_A wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why, when you go through moneysupermarket.com and go on the link to open a Barclays 6.5% Tax Haven cash Isa,it says you have to be a current account holder,is this right???:confused:

Nope thats not correct.

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=homefreegroup&value=14424&target=_self&site=pfs
  • LADY_A
    LADY_A Posts: 189 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: Thanks,just realised that is the case if you wish to open an account online,otherwise I need to visit a branch
    Thanks again bristolleedsfan
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    catlou wrote: »
    Hi all

Are there any financial bods that can give me any advice as I have already phoned the bank and the tax office saving helpline and they gave me conflicting answers!??

Basically I have a stocks and shares ISA with Norwich Union and am a bit worried with all this credit crunch/recession talk that it's going to lose more off it's value it's already lost 10% since before xmas......

Anyway is it possible to transfer the whole amount to my mini cash ISA (as it's already in a type of ISA) so I don't lose my tax benefits or do I have to close it and put in £3600 each year and therefore stick the rest in an account that I would have to pay tax on? Just seems a bit unfair if that's the case!!

Cheers in advance for any help.
    Not a financial expert, by any means, but appears is clear, from the ISA rules, that the proceeds of stocks & shares ISAs cannot be transferred to Mini Cash ISAs, the tax-free status would be lost - the same situation will apply under the new rules which will apply from 6th April, see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/isa/rule-change-april08.htm, 3rd Question from the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps,

Baldur
  • English_Bob
    English_Bob Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    hello all
    has anyone noticed the whopping 10% ISA from Alliance and Leicester's Premier ISA Issue 2. This is only available if you have one of their Premier Current Accounts, which you have to pay in at least £500 a month. For those with the availability, you can pay in and then take out this £500 once it has cleared (1 week) and enjoy the 10% ISA.
    I am opening an account now. Once it has opened, i am recommending my wife (we will both get £25 as a result). We will be using this years £3000 allowance each and then next years £3600 each.
    I have read and read the blurb from A+L and can't see a catch. The account doesn't cost you anything, there are no tie-ins and although the current account interest is lousy, the £500 will only be in there for a short while before it is whisked off to a better account.
    I haven't seen anything on the site OR in the forums about this, which makes me feel that maybe i've missed something.

Please let me know if you think this is a good deal.

BOB

• harley007
    Options
    My husband and I both have Mini Cash Isa's with HSBC, one has ~ £16,000 in and another £15,000.

We have to use approximately £5,000- £10,000 of this money over the next 12 months to 18 months.

1) Is it avisable for us to transfer to another ISA at this stage, I am not sure what our interest rate is as I stupidly thought they were all similar? I am not sure if they charge a fee for transferring.
    2) Are we better draining one ISA and transferring £3,000 from the drained ISA to the ISA with more money i.e have one ISA at £20,000 and the other at < £5,000? We are not sure if the interest increases at various increasings amounts of savings (e.g. > £15,000).

your help would be appreciated. :confused:
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Not a financial expert, by any means, but appears is clear, from the ISA rules, that the proceeds of stocks & shares ISAs cannot be transferred to Mini Cash ISAs, the tax-free status would be lost - the same situation will apply under the new rules which will apply from 6th April, see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/isa/rule-change-april08.htm, 3rd Question from the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps,

Baldur

Thanks Baldur that does seem to clarify it - I didn't see that page on the website!! :o

It does seem like you will now be able to transfer a mini cash isa to stocks and shares ISA - but not the other way around which is a shame. Oh well never mind!

Thanks very much for your reply.

Catlou
  • leg-ion
    Options
    hello all
    has anyone noticed the whopping 10% ISA from Alliance and Leicester's Premier ISA Issue 2. This is only available if you have one of their Premier Current Accounts, which you have to pay in at least £500 a month. For those with the availability, you can pay in and then take out this £500 once it has cleared (1 week) and enjoy the 10% ISA.
    I am opening an account now. Once it has opened, i am recommending my wife (we will both get £25 as a result). We will be using this years £3000 allowance each and then next years £3600 each.
    I have read and read the blurb from A+L and can't see a catch. The account doesn't cost you anything, there are no tie-ins and although the current account interest is lousy, the £500 will only be in there for a short while before it is whisked off to a better account.
    I haven't seen anything on the site OR in the forums about this, which makes me feel that maybe i've missed something.

Please let me know if you think this is a good deal.

BOB

no bob you have not missed anything it is a very good deal and I am going to do the very same.
    leg/iron
  • snow_joke
    Options
    I intend to put £3600 in a new mini cash ISA in April. I already have a mini cash ISA which doesn't allow partial transfers out. It will soon reach its 'safe' limit of £35000, but if I transfer this to a better-paying one (in April), I'll still be getting interest on it, which means I'll have to find a provider willing to accept partial transfers out, so that I don't go over the safe amount. There must be many people who have been squirrelling away over the years and are now in the same boat. The ISA regulations need to be brought up to date. Unless partial transfers become mandatory, our right to financial compensation will be unfairly restricted and our choice of provider unfairly limited. It would also be useful to be able to move amounts between providers without restriction, as is the case with ordinary savings accounts.

Will Mr Darling comply or will this be a new campaign for Martin?
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Heres a Table that was compiled elsewhere where people put together info they had gleaned regarding which Building Societies allow part transfers out as well as other types of transfers. ;)

Barnsley Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Bath
    Beverley Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Britannia Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Buckinghamshire Transfers IN: Full YES Partial Not known. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial Not known
    Cambridge
    CatholicTransfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES *£30 Fee may apply for transfers out
    Century *No ISA products*
    Chelsea Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Chesham Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Cheshire Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Chorley
    City of Derry
    Coventry
    Cumberland
    Darlington
    Derbyshire Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Dudley
    Dunfermline
    Earl Shilton
    Ecology Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Furness
    Hanley Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES *At times The Hanley restricts transfers in
    Harpenden
    Hinckley & Rugby Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES * £25 fee applies for transfers out
    Holmesdale Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Ipswich Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Kent Reliance Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Leeds Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Leek United Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Loughborough Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Manchester *No ISA products*
    Mansfield Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Market Harborough Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Marsden Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Melton Mowbray Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Monmouthshire Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    National Counties Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Nationwide Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Newbury
    Newcastle Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Norwich & Peterborough Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Nottingham
    Penrith
    Principality Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Progressive Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial Not known
    Saffron Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Scarborough Partial YES Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial Not known
    Scottish Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO *£30 Fee may apply for transfers out
    Shepshed Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Skipton Transfers IN: Full YES Partial NO Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Stafford Railway Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Stroud & Swindon Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Swansea Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Teachers Transfers IN: Full: Not known Partial : Not known Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES *£30 Fee applies for transfers out
    Tipton & Coseley Transfers IN: Full NO Partial NO. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial NO
    Vernon Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    West Bromwich Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES
    Yorkshire Transfers IN: Full YES Partial YES. Transfers OUT: Full YES Partial YES

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards