The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,095 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Patr100 wrote: »
    Now I don't know where to go. I Have more than 35k in Icesave so wanted to at least remove some to elsewhere. I don't want to use another foreign bank - I opened online with Bradford & Bingley but hear they are considered shaky and just dropped their rate. I opened with Principality but again hardly hear glowing praise for them around here and some suspicion of them.
    I just want an online preferably monthly interest account - with a reasonable rate - with a UK bank that hasn't got the "wobbles" or is flagged as suspect?

Whilst worth keeping below 35000.00 in ALL institutions, dont be too alarmed by the Channel 4 feature, there has been more scare stories :eek: about Iceland Banks in last month than their has been in the last 18 Months.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=777309

Uk Bank and Building Societies apparent cartels have had it good for too long in mine and other peoples opinions.

The trouble with Labour politicians giving interviews on such programmes is that everybody knows that Labour has vested interests on the subject. i.e Northern Rock :rolleyes:

As for whatever the F.S.A has to say, their vested interests is with their funding sources. ;)
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As interest rates are falling away is it a good time to consider a fixed term/rate savings account? I heard a number of financial commentators suggest it recently and came here to see if I could find any comment and or best buy suggestions. Is there an article or discussion thread on this? I could not find one. If not maybe Martin could add something when he next updates his much read (by me anyway) saving article. In the mean time anyone know who’s is the top rate for a 12 month fixed account?

While I’m at it I would add my two pence worth on Bradford and Bingley. Not only did they not tell their customers of the rate drop, they were still advertising their Internet saver (2) with a big flashing logo at the old higher incorrect rate yesterday. I see this morning it has been removed. Also A & L direct saver fell again and they do not tell their customers either. With A & L take all your money out on the first day of the month if you don’t want too much time of zero interest.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Fixed Rate accounts have been considered a good idea since the end of 2007, start of 2008 ,with the best fixed rates having been continually posted in the main savings forum.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=17

In January 2008 we were getting 6.8%-7% from Bradford + B, A+L and Chelsea BS.

Heres Current Best Buys

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings/bestbuys/short-term-fixed-rate-bonds.aspx

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings/bestbuys/long-term-fixed-rate-bonds.aspx

http://www.kaupthingedge.co.uk/OurProducts/InterestRates.aspx
  • SHAKEY
    SHAKEY Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys

Sorry if this is in wrong area, don't get long to have a look at different categories/forums.

I currently have an ISA and also a high interest current account with Halifax. This account pays good interest up to (like most) £2500. I was wondering if putting leftover money I have each month into a guaranteed savings account, also with Halifax, would be the best use of my money? Probably in region of £200 p/month.
    Any help very very much appreciated!
  • murphydavid
    Options
    SHAKEY wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Sorry if this is in wrong area, don't get long to have a look at different categories/forums.

I currently have an ISA and also a high interest current account with Halifax. This account pays good interest up to (like most) £2500. I was wondering if putting leftover money I have each month into a guaranteed savings account, also with Halifax, would be the best use of my money? Probably in region of £200 p/month.
    Any help very very much appreciated!

Try
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts#3[/FONT]
  • redwoodysoup
    Options
    Hi Guys

Hope I'm writing on the right area. I wanted to warn everyone about what I can only describe as quite a serious problem with the Kaupthing Edge account at the moment.

I set up the Kaupthing Edge Savings Account hoping to benefit like everyone, from its great interest rate . Set up was fine until after changing my password last night. This morning I tried to log on and was constantly told I had given wrong log on details and my account was locked. I was stumped because it worked fine yesterday. I phoned them up to unlock the account and they sent me a new password. Again I tried this and it didn't work to my amazement and anger, so I phoned them up again. The staff were sympathetic and tried to manually create a new password for me which they did. They were sure this would work but again it didn't (whilst I was still on the line to them). The team member was amazed and very apologetic and got a manager to phone me back. She informed me they were having problems with lots of customers with this problem and were having to refer all our accounts to their HQ in London. They couldn't give me access to my account!

I told them to shut down my account which they will do so as soon as my initial money transfer to Kaupthing shows in the account and they can transfer it back to me.

They seem to have serious problems with customers accessing accounts which is not good enough for me! I've probably lost a couple of £'s today phoning Kaupthing so I would seriously consider opening this account at the moment!!
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Hi Guys

Hope I'm writing on the right area. I wanted to warn everyone about what I can only describe as quite a serious problem with the Kaupthing Edge account at the moment.

I set up the Kaupthing Edge Savings Account hoping to benefit like everyone, from its great interest rate . Set up was fine until after changing my password last night. This morning I tried to log on and was constantly told I had given wrong log on details and my account was locked. I was stumped because it worked fine yesterday. I phoned them up to unlock the account and they sent me a new password. Again I tried this and it didn't work to my amazement and anger, so I phoned them up again. The staff were sympathetic and tried to manually create a new password for me which they did. They were sure this would work but again it didn't (whilst I was still on the line to them). The team member was amazed and very apologetic and got a manager to phone me back. She informed me they were having problems with lots of customers with this problem and were having to refer all our accounts to their HQ in London. They couldn't give me access to my account!

I told them to shut down my account which they will do so as soon as my initial money transfer to Kaupthing shows in the account and they can transfer it back to me.

They seem to have serious problems with customers accessing accounts which is not good enough for me! I've probably lost a couple of £'s today phoning Kaupthing so I would seriously consider opening this account at the moment!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to join the forum to tell us what u have described. :T

( Guess thats what they mean by "being nice to moneysavers". :D )
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Northern Rock is to reduce interest rates on its online tracker and silver savings a/cs from 6.49% to 6.25% from 8 March 2008

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/index.htm
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Moggles wrote: »
    Northern Rock is to reduce interest rates on its online tracker and silver savings a/cs from 6.49% to 6.25% from 8 March 2008

Well I've opened a NR SS a/c and was just waiting for £5K to be transferred from another savings account to my linked account to be transferred out to the NR SS account. I won't bother now. I'm dizzy with this constant game of cat and mouse.

Each such transaction takes several days with loss of interest.

If it carries on it'll all be put under the mattress and b***** the interest !
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • murphydavid
    Options
    suelees1 wrote: »
    Moggles wrote: »

Well I've opened a NR SS a/c and was just waiting for £5K to be transferred from another savings account to my linked account to be transferred out to the NR SS account. I won't bother now. I'm dizzy with this constant game of cat and mouse.

Each such transaction takes several days with loss of interest.

If it carries on it'll all be put under the mattress and b***** the interest !

Me too I just had a Bradford and Bingley account that was high interest for 3 months then they abandoned it introducing a new named account and made it hardish for me to transfer from the old named one to the new. I managed it but another 3 months and the new one's rate has dropped significantly. Moving my money every three months is the pits so its goodbye B & B for ever.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback