Wading In Treacle

Options

Comments

• catandy
    catandy Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 30 April 2019 at 9:22PM
    Options
    I've been working thru what I can start paying down and in what order they come in priority. Overdraft is highest on the hit list as I want to get in a position that I'm living just on my money. I'm also starting to be offered some settlement figures for partial settlements on debts - weird seeing as I havent paid anything on them in a couple of months - payments start again tomorrow :)

Balances on the debts on my DMP stand at:-

Capital One Card 1 - 423.62 - with original creditor
    Capital One Card 2 - 897.15 - with original creditor
    Aqua Card - 1674.40 - currently with Intrum DCA who have previously offered me 75% partial settlement terms.

Vanquis - awaiting balance on this card - still with original creditor

MBNA - 2872.68 - currently with Link Financial DCA

Barclaycard? - 5332.87 - currently with Link Financial DCA

Vodafone - 303 and a couple of pence, had a letter from Zinc Credit Management about this debt but also get emails direct from Vodafone. Latest letter from Zinc Credit says amount due is 236.72

BT - I have 2 companies claiming they own this debt - Lowell who say the balance is 273.12 and are threatening legal action in the form of a CCJ due to non payment and Past Due Credit whom did own the debt and to whom I was making payments - they say the balance is 92.95

Pre-paid CC - Cashplus - this was an overdraft that was taken on the card and the balance shows as 111.46 It's now owned by BPO Collections and I havent paid anything or acknowledged the debt since Sept 2015.

I make that the grand total of 11888.18 - which is a lot less than I expected it to be. Vanquis I think I owe about 3k on it which still means the balance is a lot lower than I thought. How can I be so far out??

I've got about £700 clear each month just from my basic wage after all the bills are paid in full and the minimum DMP payments have gone out. This is from next months payday - 28th

I've also currently got £8 in cashback sitting in my reward account waiting for me to move into my account and I've submitted a claim for a Wonga loan I had years ago - I doubt anything will come from that and if it does it will be years to actually receive anything.

and congrats if you got this far - just realised how this thread goes on and on :)
  • catandy
    First Post
    edited 30 April 2019 at 9:39PM
    Options
    currently I'm back to paying the £1 nominal payments on CAP 1 (both cards), aqua, MBNA and Barclaycard.

BT I've written to both DCA and asked them to prove they own the debt so for that one I wait.

Vodafone I wait and see what happens, perhaps the debt is being handed to the DCA and it hasnt yet caught up with itself who knows?

The pre-payment card debt for now can wait - I will get round to that one when my brain can handle it.

Plan of attack is

1 - send a CCA letter to each of the debts owned by a DCA with the exception of Vodafone and Pre- Paid CC.
    2 - carry on paying the nominal payments on them whilst I get the responses back.
    3 - providing I get proof they own the debts then start a hit list of cards for partial settlements. I need to start putting together a fund to be able to do this - saving pot attached to main bank account I will set this up tomorrow.

Thats the plan - now to just get the hell on with it and do it!
  • Dorothy60
    Dorothy60 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, under 12k of debts with a significant surplus each month - you can absolutely smash this. Really looking forward to supporting you on your debt free journey. Well done Lady, you are doing brilliantly
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,619 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You sound very positive which is great and even better the debt is lower than you thought. Quite a difference though.

I think tackling the overdraft first is a good idea. I would save any extra money in a F and F fund in the hope some of those debtors will accept partial settlements.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • catandy
    First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 7:11AM
    Options
    11888.18 was the balance - vanquis has finally confirmed that I owe them 3003 and I have an outstanding balance of 6450 which was an overpayment on WTC - that I havent made a payment on or acknowledged now for at least 2 years so again for now that stays as it is out in the ether and I tackle some of the smaller balances and get round to that one in the future.

total debt owing 21341.18 (dmp portion)
  • catandy
    First Post
    Options
    pay day is two weeks on Monday and ive got 50£ in the bank account to get me thru to then, freezer and cupboards are ok to last me the month with just bread and milk top ups, car has a full tank of petrol and all just ticking on in Catandy world. I'm doing a car boot tomorrow so that should make a few pennies - and clear loads of stuff out of the flat which is a bonus :)

OH has contacted me - he has been awarded a payout from his ex employer and is due to get the money end of next month. He has offered to give me half so if that happens I should get a financial boost that I hadn't banked on and can use it to clear maybe 1 or 2 of the smaller balances and have a small buffer of an EF for the first time in my adult life. he expects to be able to give me 2.5k which is very unexpected, part of me feels cheeky even thinking of taking the money off him but then again I dont feel that I'm in any position to be proud about it and besides if it wasnt for what happened in the past I wouldn't be in this mess.

Anyway life ticking by - still loving having my own space and freedom, job I'm halfway thru my trial period and some of it I am struggling with, I'm pretty much being left to get on with it which I know I should take as a compliment that they think I can manage, I'm well over my monthly sales target for the first full month and the part of may that has passed so I'm doing well I just struggle with the processes and there is rarely anyone about to ask for clarification so I sort of wing it and hope for the best - and its bitten me on the bottom twice where I have made mistakes. I plan to sit down with my boss and explain that I feel that I need some more support than I am getting so that should sort that out :)

now - time to make my sandwich for lunch and get my shoes on and get out of the door so im not late :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,619 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well. I would definitely accept the payment from your ex. I am sure at least part of that debt was down to him.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiring diary.

The 'real' you is now out and about and you are clearly more than capable of building a solid new life and dealing with the debt in the way you find best.

Particularly impressed by your ability to find any number of jobs very quickly when you need to.

I too would take any lump sum your ex offers. You clearly paid the bulk of your joint expenses for a very long time. If he has offered it he clearly believes you are owed. A lump sum will give you choice and some much deserved buffer/reserve/security.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think he's done the right thing giving you half. I wouldn't have expected it but you are definitely right to have it. He deprived you of any second income for so long whilst costing you and you did the application for him. Going forward he is now entitled to benefits and will be fine financially.
    Get your head around where you debts are before spending any of it on debt. You're square on your priority debts and you need to wait for ccas to come back. Maybe keep it back for a moving away fund?
    You're doing great in the job- they care more about sales performance than technical stuff so dont worry and ask for support. You can do this. Xxxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Rachfarn
    Rachfarn Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't read and run. you are doing amazingly and should be very proud of yourself. I agree with the others about the money from your ex, you should take it.
    Subscribed...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure