Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 22 May at 11:06AM in Gone Off!
1.5K replies 201.1K views

Replies

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Do wish some mixed cases come in separate flavours instead. As in Lidl, unable to get their garlic n herb Philly. As loads of the Plain and reduced fat ones. Even ask my mother and a friend who go to Lidl on different days to me. 
    But cheese such as Cheddar come in separate cases for normal and reduced fat. Why not the cheese spread?
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    od244051 said:
    Do wish some mixed cases come in separate flavours instead. As in Lidl, unable to get their garlic n herb Philly. As loads of the Plain and reduced fat ones. Even ask my mother and a friend who go to Lidl on different days to me. 
    But cheese such as Cheddar come in separate cases for normal and reduced fat. Why not the cheese spread?
    Maybe they sell more cheddar of both types to warrant separate boxes but don't sell enough of the cheese spread.

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no tomato ketchup in Lidl, that goes for the Deluxe bottles too (which is probably just as well as I tend to serve it with unhealthy snacks). Plenty of Heinz and standard and Deluxe Brown sauce though. What is the world coming to?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    od244051 said:
    Maybe they sell more cheddar of both types to warrant separate boxes but don't sell enough of the cheese spread.

I'm sure that is the rationale behind the mixed cases whatever the product is, problem is if the % of each aren't correct for the individual store, you get a lot of say 2 variants left and no availability of the other variants, but because the whole case hasn't sold no new ones are delivered/put out. 
  • edited 8 May at 5:57PM
    mamanmaman Forumite
    25.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 May at 5:57PM
    I have the same problem with cottage cheese in mixed trays. Never enough plain. ☹️
    Unfortunately they go through the tills as a generic term (rather than the specific flavour) too so presumably they  don't get electronic feedback of which ones sell best. 🤔
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    maman said:
    I have the same problem with cottage cheese in mixed trays. Never enough plain. ☹️
    Unfortunately they go through the tills as a generic term (rather than the specific flavour) too so presumably they  don't get electronic feedback of which ones sell best. 🤔
    Same with Aldi as if a product comes in a case of three different things - the receipt says A/B/C - and says the same if you buy more than 1 type/flavour/variety from the same case.
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PLRFD said:
    The store layouts look very similar to how Aldi used to look in the old days.
    Stompa
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    harz99 said:
    Pollycat said:
    od244051 said:

I'm sure that is the rationale behind the mixed cases whatever the product is, problem is if the % of each aren't correct for the individual store, you get a lot of say 2 variants left and no availability of the other variants, but because the whole case hasn't sold no new ones are delivered/put out. 

I guess setting up tailor made mixed boxes based on individual stores' purchases would put costs (and prices) up massively (which kinda defeats the object of shopping at Aldi/Lidl...)

And of course as Maman points out, they're not even collecting product specific data anyway.
  • 203846930203846930 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My mixed box gripe is the chocolate coated peanuts and raisins in Lidl, they always seem to be devoid of the raisins and I find myself pulling the box out to see if I can get any in the box behind.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides