How to sue Together Energy

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,342 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have also just discovered that if I ever get any money back I now have to pay a total of £60 (£30 each for gas and electric) for the privilege of leaving whereby it was ZERO with One Select.
    If everyone else at One Select was on a zero penalty for leaving and the figure of 36,000 customers transferred across is correct then Ofgem gave TE a guaranteed £2 Million golden hello, nice work if you can get it!
    There are no exit fees for the tariff OneSelect customers were moved onto at Together Energy. Exit fees have been incorrectly stated on bills, but in my case (and that of others) they have not been charged when leaving. Unless you moved yourself onto a different Together Energy tariff before leaving then the exit fees will not apply.
  • PaulDesmond
    PaulDesmond Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you acept being with Together Energy and caries on with them. If you did then you will have to pay £0 + £30. If you were forced to be with them and you didn't complete any sign up then no you don't. You never agreed to being with them. I am not being charged this crap and they are not insisting on it.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have also just discovered that if I ever get any money back I now have to pay a total of £60 (£30 each for gas and electric) for the privilege of leaving whereby it was ZERO with One Select.
    If everyone else at One Select was on a zero penalty for leaving and the figure of 36,000 customers transferred across is correct then Ofgem gave TE a guaranteed £2 Million golden hello, nice work if you can get it!

Have you accepted (or been moved onto) one of their fixed offers ? The original deal the ex OS customers like ourselves were moved to, had NO penalty for leaving.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Have you accepted (or been moved onto) one of their fixed offers ? The original deal the ex OS customers like ourselves were moved to, had NO penalty for leaving.
    I was a OneSelect customer forced to move to Together Energy. I switched back in February. An email that I received from TE on January 6th stated "You are on a tariff with no exit fees – this rate will not change for six months.". I assume therefore that any ex-OneSelect customer still with TE today must now be on a tariff with an exit fee.
  • masonic
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I was a OneSelect customer forced to move to Together Energy. I switched back in February. An email that I received from TE on January 6th stated "You are on a tariff with no exit fees – this rate will not change for six months.". I assume therefore that any ex-OneSelect customer still with TE today must now be on a tariff with an exit fee.
    Ex-OneSelect customers had the option of switching to any of TE's tariffs once their account was open, some of which do have exit fees.
  • Ouzy
    Ouzy Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Seems I am in the same position. I left TE at the end of August 2018. I had a credit and rang them and they refunded it back to me. I didn't think to cancel the direct debit and they then started taking four months of direct debits from my account from October 2018 to January 2019.

To be honest I never realised they had taken my DD . I'm bad at checking my acbank account and I only looked because I just couldn't understand why I was about £80 pounds poorer every month. I cancelled as soon as I realised and rang Together Energy on five different times and eventually on May 2019 they produced a final bill showing they owed me £266.83. I have since emailed their complaints team and received calls from them asking my bank account and sort code but now over a month since then I still have not received my credit. I was going to take this to a small claims court in the hope that I may get my money I'm owed back sooner but should I complain to the ombudsman first? I do no want to cause detriment to my small claims court action if I'm supposed to go via the ombudsman first.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Mark
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ouzy wrote: »
    Hi

Seems I am in the same position. I left TE at the end of August 2018. I had a credit and rang them and they refunded it back to me. I didn't think to cancel the direct debit and they then started taking four months of direct debits from my account from October 2018 to January 2019.

To be honest I never realised they had taken my DD . I'm bad at checking my acbank account and I only looked because I just couldn't understand why I was about £80 pounds poorer every month. I cancelled as soon as I realised and rang Together Energy on five different times and eventually on May 2019 they produced a final bill showing they owed me £266.83. I have since emailed their complaints team and received calls from them asking my bank account and sort code but now over a month since then I still have not received my credit. I was going to take this to a small claims court in the hope that I may get my money I'm owed back sooner but should I complain to the ombudsman first? I do no want to cause detriment to my small claims court action if I'm supposed to go via the ombudsman first.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Mark

Your bank should pay you back if the money was taken by direct debit. You don't need to deal with the energy company.
  • Griffin78
    Griffin78 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just found this thread and am in a similar situation albeit less credit as I moved quickly.
    I am a former One Select customer, transferred to TE. They very quickly set up a direct debit within 5 days. I decided to leave pretty quickly meaning I was only with them for 7 weeks (2 x DD). I have had problems getting a final bill from them. I raised a complaint which seemed to go unnoticed and then I emailed the CEO and a few days later my complaint was picked up.
    I left in Feb 19 and received a final bill a week or so ago. Leading up to this they said they were having difficulty obtaining accurate meter reads and then suddenly they issued the final bill. The electricity usage in that 7 week period is almost double what it has been in any other similar time period which I'm now disputing. I don't think they have a clue and/or they are trying to recoup money from customers that won't dispute.
  • masonic
    Options
    Griffin78 wrote: »
    I left in Feb 19 and received a final bill a week or so ago. Leading up to this they said they were having difficulty obtaining accurate meter reads and then suddenly they issued the final bill. The electricity usage in that 7 week period is almost double what it has been in any other similar time period which I'm now disputing. I don't think they have a clue and/or they are trying to recoup money from customers that won't dispute.
    They cannot use higher final readings than the opening readings used for the new supplier - otherwise you'd be paying for the same energy twice.

So it should be clear-cut what readings the final bill should be based on. If your complaint fails to be resolved within 8 weeks, take it to the Energy Ombudsman and provide your first bill from your new supplier as evidence.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    They cannot use higher final readings than the opening readings used for the new supplier - otherwise you'd be paying for the same energy twice.

"Should" is the operative word. TE used a different reading to the closing one of my previous supplier, meaning I paid double for some electricity. I pressed to have it rectified but they said it was within an acceptable range and I would get nowhere with it. It wasn't a large amount of money and I gave up in the end. They are a terrible company and should not be allowed to take on new customers until they can produce bills and accurate ones at that.

Thank goodness I got out before they took on OneSelect customers as it seems things have got even worse.
    Je suis sabot...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure