PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 28th January 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,328
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 31 January 2019 at 7:48PM in Old style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Valli for last weeks thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ Nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner ;) DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK here we go!

Monday Madness- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One...
Clean floors in these rooms
Level Two...
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget under the rim! and sinks
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches
Level Three...
Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins! (the proper bins not the rooms that look like bins!)
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Clear a mega hotspot!.. shred it.. and fling it..or just burn it!

Extras..
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Wipe down the doors and frames in these rooms.
  • clean the radiators in these rooms
  • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
  • Replace sponges/flannels/toothbrushes that are in need

Terrible Tuesday - Kitchen and Dining Room
Level One...

Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Level Two...
Sweep and mop floors
Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front, clean out any spills or grots in there!
Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Clean fridge and see what needs using first (why do I have 4 jars of cranberry sauce in mine?)
Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!

Extras...
  • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
  • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
  • Clean oven if it really needs it.. or just do the hob.. mines gross.. you need to shame me into cleaning it!
  • HHI .. bit of a catch up!!
  • Write an inventory of your cupboards contents and what needs using first
  • Empty the cutlery drawer.. clean it out, wash the cutlery tray, chuck those baby spoons you don't use any more.. how many medicine spoons do you actually need? get rid of everything you don't use and make the drawer look nice again!

Wednesday - Beast Pits and Spare Ooms!
Level One...

Strip bedding.. and wash
vacuum off the dustmites and turn the mattress!
Level Two...
Clear the floors of gibble!! and vacuum them
Wash windows
Wash curtains/beanbags/bears .. whatever needs doing
Level Three..
Tidy up all the books and games on the shelves
Find 5 things EACH to go live elsewhere.. they have to be your own!!
Take ALL the dirty laundry downstairs and put it is the laundry mountain!

Extras
  • Binbag dance!
  • Sort through the school uniform pile.. what is outgrown? What is unwearable?
  • Wipe the paintwork.. doors, desks, skirting,
  • IF you can.. move the bed and vacuum underneath!

Thursday - Master Mess-room.. & landing
Level One...

Strip bedding and wash it
Turn and vacuum mattress and redress!
Level Two...
Wash the window
Floor clearance!! Find the carpet.. or at least some!
Find the floor on the landing!
Level Three...
Vacuum floors
Wipe the bed frame of dust and deweb the room
Fill a binbag of rubbish

Extras
  • S&S kitchen
  • HHI
  • Tidy a chest of drawers.. tuck in all those bits hanging out
  • Straighten up the airing cupboard

Friday -fun and frolics..
Level One...

Clear the bathroom and cruddy study floor!!
Empty bins and wash them out
Level Two...
Wash shower cuartins, bath mats rugs etc that are smelly
Recycle all the empties!
Defrag the PC/virus scan/spyware scan which you scrub down the tiles!
Level Three...
Polish mirrors and other glass
Wipe out any cupboards and check what needs restocking
Clean the loos (inc outside), bath, basins (inc pedestal), shower trays etc

Extras
HHI
Wipe the radiators
Wipe the paintwork, esp. round the loo!
Clean out any smelly pets!
Those with children, when they get in wash any coats that are in need.. it's been a week for mud!

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award ⭐️

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,889
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Natty, I'm in.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i'm here!
    *waves*
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,883
    Forumite
    Thanks Natty. I’m in too.
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,646
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, I'm in as much as I ever am.
    Mon brings Mr N cousin's funeral at 1.15, so BIL arrived today, we'll pick up MIL at about 11.30. Aiming to get back for my drumming lesson at 4.30 although I've warned them I may not make it. Plan to go out for a meal in the evening, MIL wants to pay.

Flurry of snow today and a biting wind, but I managed a short run before church.
    Mr N flew round with vacuum cleaner while I was at church.
    Vicar said I can practice on his daughter's drums while she's at uni!
    Filled bird feeders and did the RSPB bird count.
    Made a cake and a veggie wreath for this evening's dinner then visited friend in hospital so gave his wife a food parcel and a lift home.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,403
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2019 at 11:03PM
    Thanks Natty. I will have a bit of "free" time tomorrow morning in which I will try to do as much as possible off the list.

I have a visit to make in the afternoon,and Rosie needs her walk as usual, but I've also got to make a cake and/or brownies for the Old Wives n the evening and do a top-up shop - after breakfast tomorrow we shall have run out of yogurt.
  • Morning all,

I'm awake, have been for hours, but if I get out of bed the Pickle will wake and I still won't get anything done.

Plan for today:
    Washing
    Food shop
    General tidy round

Woodworm eradication prep t minus 6 days
    Finish dining room
    Living room:
    Shelves
    Wool
    Magazine rack
    Side tables.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning all, I'll be doing what I can and reading along :) There's some washing going round and I'm planning to peg it out because it's supposed to be dry today. I'm going to DD1's later so it better not rain while I'm out.
  • Morning all,

I'm in, thank you ladies xx

Nothing too positive to say (need to shake myself out of this), so will love you and leave you x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 3,950
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 January 2019 at 7:27AM
    Morning :hello:

I think one of these :grouphug: is needed xx ETA It's a group hug in case anyone is wondering!! Seriously odd emoji that one lol

Thinking of you and Mr N, Narc0 xx

(((:heart2:))) atb xx

I'm up, showered, hair washed, dressed and breakfasted. Bed is made. Pack up is packed. Repeat prescription form is with pack up - to be dropped off on my way past the pharmacy/surgery.

I'll be ok once I'm at work. Monday mornings always give me the eebies :o.

Love to you all.
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,889
    Forumite
    Morning everyone.

Just having breakfast. My plans include washing up,dusting LR, changing bedding, walking dogs, hoovering and mopping through, some paperwork and whatever I can manage from the list before craft club.

Hope all your days are as good as they can be.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport