We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Congestion Charge 24hr window - please help break this down for me!

Options

Comments

• brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the contrary. It works rather well. It will need to continue to adapt to keep pace with new trends but it has been a success.

If it keeps you and others away from driving into London, it's doing its job.
    I avoided driving into London long before anybody invented the congestion charge and it is not the congestion charge which is being objected to.
    It is the peculiarly punitive nature of the charges which apply to unexpected contraventions which are the problem.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If you'd never driven into the CC Zone in the 16yrs it's been operating, I'd have thought you'd take the time to have a little look before entering...? Just a thought...
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/paying-the-congestion-charge

But how do you know to research something that you don't know exists? I live in Sunderland and was working in London last year and went into this zone by mistake. I didn't have access to the internet, so researched it as soon as I got home 2 days later. And it was already too late.

Have to say I also found accessing the internet on my mobile very slow and patchy. Its much better up here.

Anyway, I appealed and I ended up just paying what I would have done had I contacted them earlier.

I believe they're looking to do the same at the Tyne Tunnel but I'm hoping they don't. I quite like sliding my money in the basket.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But how do you know to research something that you don't know exists? I live in Sunderland and was working in London last year and went into this zone by mistake.
    I know, it's terrible that they just don't bother with any kind of reasonable signage, isn't it...?

general-view-of-a-congestion-charge-sign-near-vauxhall-on-february-15-picture-id161753909
    Congestion-charge-sign.jpg
    veiy2obbiu6koou43alw
    stream_img.jpg
    road-sign-reminding-drivers-of-the-congestion-charge-have-you-paid-AWXN6M.jpg

...and such a huge area!

Congestion-Charge-Zone-Red-Area-and-Low-Emission-Zone-Green-Area-Maps-for-London.png
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I avoided driving into London long before anybody invented the congestion charge and it is not the congestion charge which is being objected to.
    It is the peculiarly punitive nature of the charges which apply to unexpected contraventions which are the problem.
    Yes that’s fair enough, it is the charging system OP is objecting to and not the zone itself. However, I still find it hard to understand quite how someone can unexpectedly contravene the payment regulations. As has been pointed out, the signage is plentiful and highly visible. It clearly refers to a charge. If you weren’t aware of the zone before your trip into the the very centre of London you certainly would be once you pass the plentiful signage. Wouldn’t that cause anyone to check what charge might apply and how it might be paid, rather than leaving it for days or blaming the internet speed on your phone?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @AdrianC why do you think people should read those things on poles by the side of the road ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    @AdrianC why do you think people should read those things on poles by the side of the road ;)
    ...as they flash by so fast...
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Options
    Just another good reason to stay away from London altogether...............
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    ...as they flash by so fast...

:rotfl::rotfl:

I like the ones that give you a score as you go past

mobile-speed-sign.jpg

I haven`t got the full 100% yet :o:(
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wouldn’t that cause anyone to check what charge might apply and how it might be paid, rather than leaving it for days or blaming the internet speed on your phone?
    The erroneous assumption is that someone outside their normal ambit has easy internet access. Many will be like DevilsAdvocate and only have internet access when they get home.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    and was working in London last year and went into this zone by mistake. I didn't have access to the internet,

What part of London doesn't have internet access?
    There are hundreds, if not thousands of internet cafes. Hotels have internet access as do many pubs and bars and a great many department stores and shopping arcades also have free internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport