PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• Rose_Wood
    Options
    Evening Everyone.

I've been missing for a few days as been busy (and overeating!!). I bought DH some giant Toblerones for Valentines Day and ended up sharing them all with him which threw me off course. Then it was DGD's birthday on Sunday. However, I am back on the straight and narrow now, although I'm not going to get weighed for a few days in case I get disheartened.

I've still kept to my step challenge every day despite veering off course with food and have already achieved my 16,000 for today. I've also done Pilates this morning.

Lunch: Smoked salmon with cream cheese, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and mayonnaise
    Dinner: Sole in a lemon and herb dusting with half a small jacket potato, butter, peas and mushrooms. Raspberries and cream.
    Treats: 8 very small squares of dark chocolate, a Babybel cheese.

Running - I have never tried the couch to 5k but did take up running a few years ago, when I was quite a lot heavier than I am now. My friend was training for a 10k by doing run/walk and I ended up doing it with her. Although I've always said I can't run and didn't enjoy it I found by building up very slowly I did actually enjoy it and actually completed 3 10k runs over a couple of years. I only stopped when she decided to call it a day but did then start up again last summer on my own. However, I started feeling a slight problem in my foot and decided to stop as I'd rather walk and play tennis and didn't want to risk either of them. It's amazing how quickly you can build up your running however and I've heard nothing but good things about Couch to 5K. Park runs are also supposed to be great fun and my sister started doing those this summer. There's none near me or I might be tempted as she really enjoys them.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    COngratulation to everyone who had a loss this week!

I came home from another swim. I think I have figured out a very simple mindset change, which should actually have occured to me long ago but somehow hadn't. I should treat sport as something you plan into your week and not as something you might do should you ever find a moment where you feel like it... So on Saturday I had a look into my diary and planned my swimms for this week. Yesterday night I packed my bag so that "forgetting my stuff" isn't an excuse.

Rosewood, well done on 16000 steps! I only manage that on holidays, when I go hiking or on these odd days where I run a lot of errands and then go for a 1 1/2 hpur walk...

katiepants, hope you are feeling better and the bruises aren't too bad!

Cranky well done on doing C25K and on losing 1.5 stone!

I thought about doing it too but I'm rubbish at running and easily get in pretty bad pain - strangely not my joints but the first thing that starts to hurt when I have to run are my tummy and my shoulders... So I decided to wait and lose some weight first and then try it. I guess the less weight, the less painful it might be and the more likely I will stick to it...

Hatful, I hate these weeks where you do so good and still don't lose, but often they are followed by a lovely loss the next week! So stick to it!

My plan today
    B bread with laughing cow cheese
    L pasta with cheese sauce, apple
    D cheese sarnie, leek and potato soup
    S orange, chocolate
    E 1 hour swim

have a lovely evening!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Imperial (lbs)

big5 ....................2/14-/:):)/-/-/
    Brambling.............2.5/10 :)/:)/;)/STS/
    Cranky..................4.5/11 :)/;)/:)/:):)/
    dandy-candy..........0.5/14-/:);)/:D/STS/
    Doing it my way.....5/10:):)/STS/:D:D/:):):):):)/
    dumpling...............7/14:):):):)/:)/STS/:):)/
    Edina Typhoon........0/8-/-/-/-/
    enthusiasticsaver....0/9-/-/-/-/-/
    fit and freaky.........7/16:)/STS/:):):):):)/:)/
    Ginmonster............2.5/5 -/STS/:)/-/:);)
    GreenEcoGirl..........2.5/0-/:):);)/STS/-/
    hatful-of-hollow......0/7-/-/-/-/STS
    Izadora..................3.5/14-/-/-/:)/:):);)
    katiepants..............2.5/10-/-/:):)/;)/
    LadyGada..............1.5/10-/:);)/-/-/
    monks...................3/10-/:)/:):)/-/
    MrsLottie................2/10-/;)/:);)/STS/
    Munchin.................6/14:)/:):)/:):):)/STS/
    natlie.....................0/5-/-/-/-/
    Plain Jane...............0/7-/-/-/-/
    Rose Wood.............1/7-/:)/STS/-/
    savesummore.........2.5/10-/:)/:);)/STS/
    SIRENS..................3/14 :)/STS/STS/:)/:)
    Slowdown..............3/14-/-/:):)/:)/
    star trek fan............+2/7-/:)/-/:D:D:D/
    Sue14....................3/10:):)/:)/STS/-/
    VickyV....................6/11-/STS/:):):)/:):):)/
    zafiro1984..............2.5/14-/:)):);)/-/STS/

Metric (kg)

butterfly 2507 1/0-/-/:)/:D/:)
    ktj...............0/10-/-/-/-/
    Ricarda........0.7/3.5-/-/-/:)/

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 14 lbs
    Group weight loss week 2............ 20 lbs
    Group weight loss week 3.............19.5 lbs & -0.8kg
    Group weight loss week 4.............13.5 lbs & -0.6kg
    Group weight loss week 5.............. 5 lbs & -0.3kg
  • Doing_it_my_way
    Options
    I tried running a while ago and as long as I run on a treadmill I am fine but even walking on uneven surfaces makes me hurt the next day. The best fitness thing i have ever used is a cross trainer, I loved it. This time I am Hopi g to lose weight first and then when I am at target I am going to start using my cross trainer again because I find when I go to the gym I don't seem to lose weight for ages because the increased muscle weighs more than the fat. I am sticking to around 1050 ish calories a day using my fitness pal and it is working so far, I am supposed to have 1200 but I am not that hungry, I just crave carbs due to the stress. We had some really devastating news last Friday our very old pony collapsed and we had to have him put to sleep. I havnt told anyone in 'real life because it's too upsetting and I will cry. I managed to stick to my calories not because of the willpower I think but because I probably lost my appetite.
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 February 2019 at 10:49PM
    Options
    Hello All
    Thank you for all your options on the c25k I think I will give it a go, I must admit cranky I did also ponder about what people will think when they see a middle aged rotund lady attempting to jog around the streets, I think I'll have to plan it in before work a i don't get much of a chance after work (also there will be less people about early morning!) I live in London so luckily pretty flat where I am. Sorry to hear about your leg that's sounds horrendous and very painful. I do try to walk a lot and rarely drive anywhere. I am following sw so hopefully the exercise will help, I'll give my knee a chance to ease up this week and hopefully start next week, I'll take it slow I think I'm not in a rush.

B porridge, tsp honey, cherries and mango
    L chicken curried noodle bowl, apple
    D jacket pot, tuna and sweet corn mayo
    S cereal bar (at work) 10 malteasers

Sorry to hear about your pony Doing it my way xx
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all,

Rose Wood I wondered where you'd got to, I missed you :)

Hatful one of my real life friends has had the same problem as you this week - sticking to plan but no loss. I said the same to her as Ricarda has said to you. Next week should be a loss.

Doing it my way it sounds as if you could be hypermobile too. If you are then your ligaments won't properly support your muscles on uneven ground and that is what causes the pain. The House Troll has to do gym with the girls during school PE instead of football on the field with the boys (he loves it and doesn't feel like the odd one out at all :rotfl: ). It's not increased muscle that makes you weigh more when you start exercising. What happens is that your muscles hold water to help repair themselves after being used so you weigh more. I've found this evens out after about three weeks. I'm sorry about your pony. Our cat number two collapsed the week before Christmas so she was put to sleep - we miss her so much. Hugs.

SIRENS what I also did was to buy a decent sports bra and also knickers in the next size down to "keep everything together" when I was running, so to speak :rotfl: Good luck with running, it's strangely addictive.

I have a 1.5 lbs loss to declare this week. I'm pleased with that. This thread is definitely helping me continue to make healthy choices. Right, off running. Take care all of you :)
  • katiepants
    Options
    Well yesterday was a write off... I knew it would be. I ended up caving in to the craving for ALL the sugar, and finished the day off with an enormous jacket potato with beans and heaps of cheese.

I had an early night, slept like a log and have woken up today feeling my normal self again. Plan for today:

B: 2 weetabix (shredded wheat is finally finished! Yay!) s/s milk
    L: Ham and lettuce thin, pom bear crisps, clementine
    T: Breaded cod, broccoli, baby corn
    S: Fibre one brownie

I've already ridden my horse this morning (quite strenuous since we were jumping), and planning a gym session after work.
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • katiepants
    Options
    p.s. Doingitmyway - sorry to hear about your pony. It's always difficult to let them go, but it's the last kindness we can give them. Look after yourself.
  • star_trek_fan
    Options
    Weigh in day and I've put on again. Not surprised - here's what I remember eating yesterday.
    B - porridge with sultanas & soya milk, orange juice
    L - bought cheese pasta salad from L*dl, so much there it took me 15 minutes to eat. Followed by 100g bag of baked sour cream & chive crisps & 1 magnum ice cream
    D - 12" 4 cheese pizza & 1/3 bag of potato wedges.Followed by 2 more magnum ice creams.
    S - 1/2 pack oatie biscuits.
    That lot was just by myself as OH has been away since Sat and I've been eating similar amounts most days. I wasn't hungry on any of these eating occasions nor did I feel full after eating it. Seriously, I have a problem.
    I binge eat. I've said it but it hasn't sunk in. Been doing some internet research and I have all the classic symptoms. I only do it when I'm alone and some days I'm desperate for OH to go to bed or go out so I can binge. I also have sleep apnea, which switches off the hormone in my stomach that tells me when I'm full, hence why I am able to eat so much and still not feel full. I need to lose weight - I'm 5'5" and weigh 16 st 1 lbs. My health is seriously at risk.
    I've just bought a self-help book but unless I can convince myself I've a problem then it won't help.
    Sorry to go on for so long. It's scary letting the world know.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
  • katiepants
    Options
    I binge eat. I've said it but it hasn't sunk in. Been doing some internet research and I have all the classic symptoms. I only do it when I'm alone and some days I'm desperate for OH to go to bed or go out so I can binge. I also have sleep apnea, which switches off the hormone in my stomach that tells me when I'm full, hence why I am able to eat so much and still not feel full. I need to lose weight - I'm 5'5" and weigh 16 st 1 lbs. My health is seriously at risk.
    I've just bought a self-help book but unless I can convince myself I've a problem then it won't help.
    Sorry to go on for so long. It's scary letting the world know.

You are not alone. I believe I also suffer from binge eating disorder, although I haven't told anyone in real life. I suspect the best advice would be to speak to a doctor or dietitian, but like you I am trying to tackle it myself first. Out of interest, what book is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport