PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'll update the list later so it's a true reflection of this week's achievements but I wanted to post now while I have time and the HT is still asleep in bed. The reason that he's still asleep is that we were awake from 4am until 6am. He claimed that he wasn't hungry enough for supper by bedtime but it appears he should have had something as he was hungry enough for it at 4am :o

To sum up this week....I had a few very bad "down" days on Wednesday and Thursday because of something that made me very upset and angry on Tuesday night. A friend was let down badly and I was unable to step in and help when asked to because I have other commitments on a Wednesday. I refused to let my regular buddies down but I was sad that I couldn't help my friend and angry that she was let down the way that she was (she had an important appointment to go to, the person that was supposed to take her backed out). By Thursday afternoon I was contemplating antidepressants because I felt so bad, but instead I texted my lovely best friend/gaming partner/whatever and told him how bad I felt. He suggested going online so we did (felt very naughty on a "school day" but he's on holiday this week and catching up with work) so we did and by the time I had to leave to fetch the HT from school we'd talked for nearly 3 hours and I felt so much better. The 3 hours was about all sorts of stuff, not about me I hasten to add. So for Valentines Day I had 3 hours of someone's precious time and it felt good that he loves me enough to drop stuff and help me :) As for my friend's predicament, she has a terminal illness and is rather conscious that a lot of her friends have dropped her since her diagnosis. I probably did still over react though, sigh....

I've been OK ever since mood wise and I'm pleased that I didn't eat myself silly when I was so miserable like I usually do. I'm still mostly off sweets and chocolate although I did have an illicit mini white magnum on Wednesday evening because I hardly slept Tuesday night and the HT had one so I wanted one too :D

We seem to have reached a bit of a bump in the road this week with a lot of people having a STS. If things have gone pear shaped have you learned anything about your coping strategies when things get rough or maybe your lack of coping strategies at all? If anyone has been poorly then medicine comes before calorie counting by the way. There are no exceptions to this rule. I've sat in fat class with my jaw dropping before now while people discussed the calories in cough medicine/cough sweets. If you need them then you take them, end of!

Feel free to post any thoughts that you have on your journey so far on this thread. It's half term this week so I'm not sure if I'll be around more or less. Probably more except I have my regular Wednesday morning booked up and I've promised the HT a trip to Liverpool on Thursday. He wants to go to a place called Kaspa's which is a dessert cafe. That'll be ice cream for lunch then :D Anyway, let us know how it's going or what you are struggling with now that we're into the mid section of the challenge.

enthusiasticsaver I'll add you to the list for a 9lb loss for the rest of the challenge. Usually we pick one day a week to weigh in.

Ricarda well done on the swimming :T

I hope everyone who's been poorly this week is feeling better and take care all of you :)
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning, I am here to say I have lost 2lb this week. I am pleased and ever so slightly amazed as it hasn't been the best week. I will take it though with gratitude.

My meals today are looking like this:

b - dippy eggs and soldiers
    l - roast chicken, stuffing, sprouts, spring greens, carrots and green beans
    d - leek and potato soup
    s - greek yoghurt and lemon curd

I will be much more mindful of next week's food. I think it is because I am so blooming tired all the time that I am looking for a quick fix to perk me up.

I have lots of Easter knitting to do so that will be my saviour as it takes me 45 mins to knit a chick which is usually the same amount of time for a craving to go away. I predict a lot of chicks in my future :rotfl:.

Cranky, I am sorry you felt so bad for your friend but I am glad your best friend was able to step in and help you. You are right in that it does seem to be harder at the moment to follow a plan. I think it is just the initial enthusiasm has waned and the real hard slog of it all is making itself felt. Personally I am going to commit myself to sticking to calorie counting for another week and see where that gets me. I had an unexpected and unwelcome monthly visitor last week when it had been 6 months since my last one. I thought I was well on the way to menopause but no, Mother Nature has a cruel sense of humour :mad::o Oh well, the countdown clock starts again.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry I've been missing these last couple of weeks, my focus on life has been elsewhere so unfortunately I've not lost anymore weight. I'll probably lose a couple of pounds over the next few days - reason below - but when I'm home I've every intention of doubling my efforts to lose weight.

Tomorrow I'm driving myself to hospital for a right knee replacement operation. Driving myself raised a few eyebrows and smiles with the team involved, apparently not many people arrive by themselves. After my op last year which took 11hrs in theatre, this one should be a lot shorter, approx 1hr. I'm having a 3D printed titanium knee, loads of xrays were involved as its made to my exact measurements. Can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow but I'm looking forward to getting more mobile in a few weeks time and then it's onto the left knee !!! - wish me luck......

I'll be following everyone's progress, The group weight losses are quite impressive.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Hope all goes ok tomorrow with your knee op Zafiro An individually 3d printed titanium knee sounds brilliant.

Sorry about your friend being let down Cranky40but good your other friend was able to support you. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. Thanks for adding me to the list. Do people all weigh in on the same day or do I just pick a day and stick to that each week?

Great loss Dumpling. Sorry about the unwelcome visitor. My visits stopped completely around 53 but they were erratic for a few years beforehand.

I have realised how much of my snacking is due to boredom or watching TV mindlessly and wanting things to nibble on. I am making a conscious effort to change this by walking more, playing my piano or doing a job around the house. I have also realised this needs to be my new normal way of eating rather than thinking I can have a biscuit just because I feel like it. Also if I stray I will just get back on plan again rather than just giving up. Easier said than done though.

Meal plan today is

B - Porridge with apple and blueberries

L- 2 slices wm bread with baked beans and grated babybel light cheese

D - spaghetti Bolognese

If I am still hungry and have enough calories left this evening I will have some Greek yogurt with fruit.

Off to look after the granddaughters now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    enthusiasticsaver you just pick a day then stick to it please. The challenge week ends on a Sunday so if you want to get the most value out of your week...........

My weigh in day is Wednesday because that's the day I used to go to fat club with friends. Now I weigh myself first thing, write it in my book, drop them off at fat club, go running for half an hour then I collect them again and we go for coffee and sort each other's "issues" out. One of them is family and one of them is recently bereaved which is why I didn't want to ditch them when my other friend's husband asked for a favour. Also they'd have had to get a taxi both ways and I know that one of them is skint.

zafiro good luck for tomorrow!
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening

Sorry things were bad for you last week Cranky :) unfortunately there is only so much one person can do.

Enthusiasticsaver I usually find I eat reasonably well for my main meals however like you I snack due to boredom or when watching TV I've heard it called mouth hunger which I think is a good name for it. I've started sewing / knitting again as like others have said you can't do it and eat with out making a mess. I've also set a challenge to teach myself to crochet as that's something I wanted to learn as a child and have never managed to get my head round. I find concentrating to learn something new takes my mind off food :)

I was a little disappointed to STS this week as I thought I had done better, I think I need to be more aware of what I'm eating outside of B, L, D as that is where I fall off the wagon :think:

L - quorn steak in a pita with salad, Greek yogurt and fruit
    D - chicken thigh marinaded in pomegranate molasses, cinnamon and tomato puree on a bed of bulgar wheat with veg and pomegranate seeds and additional green beans
    S - 2 finger kitkat

I've made a fruit salad if I need to snack and it will do for breakfast tomorrow

Zafiro good luck for the knee op :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • CRANKY40
    edited 17 February 2019 at 11:41PM
    Options
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Imperial (lbs)

big5 ....................2/14-/:):)/-/-/
    Brambling.............2.5/10 :)/:)/;)/STS/
    Cranky..................4.5/11 :)/;)/:)/:):)/
    dandy-candy..........0.5/14-/:);)/:D/STS/
    Doing it my way.....5/10:):)/STS/:D:D/:):):):):)/
    dumpling...............7/14:):):):)/:)/STS/:):)/
    Edina Typhoon........0/8-/-/-/-/
    enthusiasticsaver....0/9-/-/-/-/-/
    fit and freaky.........7/16:)/STS/:):):):):)/:)/
    Ginmonster............1/5 -/STS/:)/-/
    GreenEcoGirl..........2.5/0-/:):);)/STS/-/
    hatful-of-hollow......0/7-/-/-/-/
    Izadora..................1/14-/-/-/:)/
    katiepants..............2.5/10-/-/:):)/;)/
    LadyGada..............1.5/10-/:);)/-/-/
    monks...................3/10-/:)/:):)/-/
    MrsLottie................2/10-/;)/:);)/STS/
    Munchin.................6/14:)/:):)/:):):)/STS/
    natlie.....................0/5-/-/-/-/
    Plain Jane...............0/7-/-/-/-/
    Rose Wood.............1/7-/:)/STS/-/
    savesummore.........2.5/10-/:)/:);)/STS/
    SIRENS..................2/14 :)/STS/STS/:)/
    Slowdown..............3/14-/-/:):)/:)/
    star trek fan............+2/7-/:)/-/:D:D:D/
    Sue14....................3/10:):)/:)/STS/-/
    VickyV....................6/11-/STS/:):):)/:):):)/
    zafiro1984..............2.5/14-/:)):);)/-/STS/

Metric (kg)

butterfly 2507 0.7/0-/-/:)/:D
    ktj...............0/10-/-/-/
    Ricarda........0.7/3.5-/-/-/-0.7

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 14 lbs
    Group weight loss week 2............ 20 lbs
    Group weight loss week 3.............19.5 lbs & -0.8kg
    Group weight loss week 4.............13.5 lbs & -0.6kg
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning all,

On it like a car bonnet today. I have just taken a ham joint out to defrost for dinner and I am going to studiously ignore the cake in the tin that my son made on the weekend.

My meals today look like this:
    b - maybe porridge, I am not actually hungry at the moment
    l - leek and potato soup
    d - ham and pineapple rice
    s - a few grapes and satsumas

By my calculations, this is well under my calorie limit so I am happy. It is half term so there will be more snacks brought into the house than usual but as I won't be buying them, I won't eat them.
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    You and me both dumpling, I'm actually starting to get excited for when I step on the scales and see a lower number. I bought an egg boiling and poaching machine for £10 off ebay the other week and it's been worth every penny. I'm not fed up off poached eggs on toast yet and it's easy to add extras and make it into more of a meal if I haven't had egg on toast for lunch.

My food today :-

B : 2 bacon medallions (wasn't very hungry and I was cooking bacon for HT so I thought protein would fill me up).
    L : egg on small wholemeal toast
    D: homemade quorn chilli with a steam bag of cauli rice (the steam bag cooked in the microwave means that the house doesn't smell like something long dead has taken up residence in the kitchen)
    Snacks : apple snack bag from Asda (I know, height of laziness having your apple chopped for you) and a bag of sour cream and chive snack a jacks.

I'm not running this morning - I want to make sure that the ache in my calf muscle has really gone. I'm going to weed the front garden instead. That'll be one job less when the weather improves. I've planted up some seeds ready for my back garden too. Time to go and get on with it then.....

Take care all of you :)
  • butterfly2507
    Options
    Hello :beer:

I've lost 0.3 KG and that brings me down to -1KG overall! :money: It's the little steps but I am soon at my first goal :j
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills