EON Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really hate to add another gripe to my list but, if I can be given questionable information, so can other customers and they may not have Malc's acquaintance to balance the scales, as it were.

The "good CSR" (now "the Capetown Clot" on Planet Smodlet) told me yesterday smart meters will no longer be free of charge from 2020 because "the government" will make them compulsory. I pointed out that not even Boris Johnson can state categorically he will be PM next year. There are surveys around asking if we, the people, think he will after Hallowe'en this year so how Eon's reps in Capetown can know what the British government will or will not do in 2020 is beyond me.

If the above is actually true I think we should be told, don't you? No matter which supplier we are with.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

Thank you, too, for your feedback. All feedback - good and bad - is vital and I'm always happy to pass it on to the decision-makers.

Malc

Hello Malc, I live in the North East of England, DL4 postcode area - if I switch to EON can I be sure of getting Smets2 gas and electric meters installed (gas is outside in a box at ground level and electric outside in a wall box about 4-5 feet above ground?

Thanks, Doug.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignite wrote: »
    I've looked again an it says that I can have a smart meter and gives me a day to choose (available into September), but there are no Saturday appointments listed. How do I get one then?

Hello Ignite and I'm not sure why you can't book a Saturday appointment online. It could be a local issue is being flagged up meaning the Saturday can't be offered. Guessing here and could well be wrong.

Please contact our smart meter teams and they'll be happy to book the appointment for you or, if an issue, explain why it can't be done and when any issue will be sorted.

Thanks Ignite.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I really hate to add another gripe to my list but, if I can be given questionable information, so can other customers and they may not have Malc's acquaintance to balance the scales, as it were.

The "good CSR" (now "the Capetown Clot" on Planet Smodlet) told me yesterday smart meters will no longer be free of charge from 2020 because "the government" will make them compulsory. I pointed out that not even Boris Johnson can state categorically he will be PM next year. There are surveys around asking if we, the people, think he will after Hallowe'en this year so how Eon's reps in Capetown can know what the British government will or will not do in 2020 is beyond me.

If the above is actually true I think we should be told, don't you? No matter which supplier we are with.

Hello Smodlet and please don't worry about giving us additional feedback. It's always useful.

Smart meters remain optional and we've been given no indication this will change any time soon. I'll add this to the feedback about Warm Home Discount I've already given to those responsible for our customer facing teams wherever they're based.

Thanks Smodlet.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Hello Malc, I live in the North East of England, DL4 postcode area - if I switch to EON can I be sure of getting Smets2 gas and electric meters installed (gas is outside in a box at ground level and electric outside in a wall box about 4-5 feet above ground?

Thanks, Doug.

Hello Doug and wherever possible we'll fit SMETS2 smart meters. At the moment, this won't be every installation.

There are certain situations where it's not possible to fit SMETS2 right now. We've been grappling with difficulties north of Manchester due to signal strength. Having said that, we had a briefing this morning to say we've resumed SMETS2 installations in the North this week. Not sure about the North East. Our smart meter advisors will be able to let you know.

Additionally, there are specific metering conditions we're still working on. In these cases, until we've fixed the issues, we'll continue with SMETS1 and then upgrade them later so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes staying smart after a change of supplier. These upgrades are done remotely so there's no need for a return visit.

As above, we won't be able to guarantee which type of meter is fitted when appointments are made as it depends on the circumstances technicians find when they're on site. Wherever possible it will be SMETS2.

Sorry this is vague Doug.

Malc
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must admit despite having a reasonably (apparently) tech mindset, I'm very slightly wary in general of remote firmware upgrade to change them from '1' to '2' , I realise there's backup capability and likely some permanence (same with server's with multiple bios's) where there's a fraction that cannot be remotely overwritten so there is *always* a recovery pathway open if things go pear shaped.

My concern is simply with potential issues that could arise. I'm slightly alarmed if the update will be without notice and "silent" actually. Then again perhaps some minor updates have already happened.

^ The above is general and not aimed at EON in particular by any means. :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    I must admit despite having a reasonably (apparently) tech mindset, I'm very slightly wary in general of remote firmware upgrade to change them from '1' to '2' , I realise there's backup capability and likely some permanence (same with server's with multiple bios's) where there's a fraction that cannot be remotely overwritten so there is *always* a recovery pathway open if things go pear shaped.

My concern is simply with potential issues that could arise. I'm slightly alarmed if the update will be without notice and "silent" actually. Then again perhaps some minor updates have already happened.

Now you're just showing off, AndyCF. :D
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »

I don't think that you need concern yourself as despite many claims to the contrary, the various SMETS1 meters from different manufacturers will not receive a remote firmware upgrade that will change them from SMETS1 to SMETS2 meters. These early meters do not use the common protocols agreed in the SMETS2 specification for data interchange, control commands etc.

If they can be adopted by the DCC, only simple commands will be sent to these SMETS1 meters, to instruct them will communicate with new interfaces added to the DCC, which are completely separate and isolated from the SMETS2 interface for security reasons and they will never operate to the SMETS2 technical specification.

Adopting SMETS1 meters onto the DCC is at best a temporary kludge to allow supplier interoperability until they are eventually replaced!
  • glocal
    glocal Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do smart meters implement a specific Economy 7 hours pattern? My current old-style meter pattern is rather unusual and very convenient to me (23:30-1:30 and 3:30-8:30). Unless a provider can install a smart meter with the same pattern, I will always object.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I have the same E7 hours;it's not widely known that you can have a two hour gap in the middle of the night. Quite useful for getting two bites at the cheap rate, the end of one day and the beginning of the next !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback