The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 5 challenge (MFiT-T5)

Comments

• Just submitted my update, not sure where I am in terms of my target but it’s going in the right direction.  Good luck everyone and thanks for running the challenge Trix-a-belle
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Liuhut0z said:
    Number 14 checking in and just sent my update. We are doing well, we are at $479998, two thirds of the way there so slightly ahead of target. We are in Melbourne, Aus so not a lot to do with lockdown. We are throwing as much as we can at the mortgage to get the figure down. Hope everyone else is going on with theirs
    Still in lockdown there. Phew, that puts the discussions about last night's measures in England into perspective! Whingeing Poms, as the saying goes
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • #23 reporting In and update sent with a balance of $398,700.00.  Don’t know what colour band I’ll be in but still confident I’ll reach my target by the end of the challenge 🥴

I’m in Western Australia with few restrictions so feel very lucky compared to other states 😷
    MFiT-T6 #17
    New mortgage: October 2019, £480,000
    Current balance: £210,000

Sealed Pot Challenge~17 #6
  • Lumiona
    Lumiona Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Sent mine in last week, paid off our annual 10% so back on target although as they've dropped our monthly repayments so our final sum might not be the target figure set.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Lumiona said:
    Sent mine in last week, paid off our annual 10% so back on target although as they've dropped our monthly repayments so our final sum might not be the target figure set.
    You could contact your lender and ask them to keep the payments at the same level and treat the difference as an additional capital repayment (not advanced interest payments, which some used to to) - our experience is that they don't always count this in your annual limit for OPs, and even if they do, the earlier that you pay, the less the interest because that is calculated on a daily basis
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all, just sent in my update for October - £1880 left.

I took voluntary redundancy from work in August so my redundancy payment covered most of the outstanding amount we had left - we won't actually pay it off the mortgage as we have an offset account but we almost have enough to be mortgage neutral. :)

My Dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer in Dec 19 so it made sense for me to leave work as the stress of looking after him and working was way too much. He's nearing the end now so who knows what the future holds! I'm ready to leave the awfulness of 2020 in the past though.

Hope everyone is ok, and I hope you've all not been affected too much by this blooming covid! 
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    sorry to hear about your dad Shala, very sensible to take the opportunity to spend more time with him while you can xx
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Lumiona
    Lumiona Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Lumiona said:
    You could contact your lender and ask them to keep the payments at the same level and treat the difference as an additional capital repayment (not advanced interest payments, which some used to to) - our experience is that they don't always count this in your annual limit for OPs, and even if they do, the earlier that you pay, the less the interest because that is calculated on a daily basis
    Thanks Suffolklass, I tried that but they wanted a mortgage amendment fee and to go through a full affordability check 🤨, a bit daft considering we've paid our monthly amount plus the 10%.
    I think we'll just save the reduction sum towards the next overpayment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback