The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 5 challenge (MFiT-T5)

Options

Comments

• mummytummy
    mummytummy Posts: 933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 June 2020 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Congratulations crv1963 on becoming mortgage free and well done to Mrs crv for getting in first before you got any ideas :) 
    MFiT-T6 #17
    New mortgage: October 2019, £480,000
    Current balance: £210,000

Sealed Pot Challenge~17 #6 £19
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congratulations crv1963 on becoming mortgage free and well done to Mrs crv for getting in first before you got any ideas :) 
    Thank you mummytummy- it is more surprising than I thought to know we own it outright! Good luck with your goal!

CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Congratulations! Don't apologise, I think its quite sensible to give yourselves that peace of mind, I wish I could!
    chuck a form through to close it out officially when you get the confirmation
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    great news Lomcevak, whats the plan with your new found freedom?
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,780 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wow, congratulations Lomcevak and  crv1963! Excellent news! We were mortgage free for a couple of years and it felt SO good :joy:

Just been staring at the spreadsheet working out why, despite it saying we'll pay it off 2.5 years early, it also says we'll pay £2600 MORE interest than at the start... Finally realised (of course) it's because we had to remortgage at a higher rate than the original (only 2.26% compared to 1.8% but still, that adds up over 20 years). Hopefully that'll come down over time!
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congratulations @crv1963! What an amazing feeling that must be, especially in the current circumstances. That's exactly what we're working towards - early retirement with the mortgage paid off. Though at less than 1.5 years into our 35 year mortgage, we've got quite a while to go yet :smiley:

pinknsparkly- I work with a number of younger people, so understand some of the competing pressures you have. I tell them it has always been that way, just in my opinion our 80s music was better! I also always suggest round up their mortgage payment figure- even small monthly amounts make a difference and to save even a small additional amount into a pension- taking advantage of compounding both ways!

It does feel really good walking round the garden looking at the house thinking "this is ours".
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback