We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad all ok euronorris and I hope the exam went well.

I just looked at forecast and it is saying light frost here tomorrow night so I guess my dahlia pots will be back in the house. Hopefully after the weekend everything can stay out in the greenhouse as we have a party here next week so I don't want the house cluttered up with plants.

I went to wilko and bought even more flower seeds today and did a bit more potting on. Running out of space in the greenhouse so I need to get the big plastic one up.

I saw some slug pellets that said organic growers approved - sounds like they are safer to use than the traditional type. They contain ferric phosphate. I don't like the idea of using them but my lettuce is getting a battering. Does anyone use them with veg beds?

I still plan on buying the nematodes but really want to get rid of the adults now and this wet weather is bringing them all out.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Our experience with slug pellets is dire. We learnt, after using them, that they work by attracting the slugs in the first place and we just got infested with the b*ggers! So, now we won't use them. Going to try nemotodes this time. And copper tape. And crushed egg shell. And maybe a line of sand. lol anything I can think of! haha
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • euronorris
    Options
    My instinct would have been 'too opaque for this time of year', but then again milk containers are (in my eyes) about the same opacity as a lot of the polytunnels I've seen so you may be onto something

Good to hear you're okay

Thank you.

I was wondering the same thing, so I think I might give it a try for a couple of days and see how it gets on.

We are due a dip in temps overnight of circa 2 degrees, which is very chilly. I have some bubble wrap and other packaging in garage (that I keep for shipping things I sell on ebay), so I am thinking of wrapping them around the bottles to give them some extra insulation, and secure in place with large elastic bands.

On a separate note, DD is going to her playgroup Easter party today in her bunny jumper and with her hair styled like bunny ears (well, my mediocre attempt at it anyway! lol). So cute!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I found wood ash is good. I keep a bucket of the stuff and liberally douse it round the base of my beans (and poles), before that I did try copper wire... ... lots of it

I also keep an old casserole pot lid, so they have somewhere to gather and be collected, but I keep forgetting to put it out

P1060543.JPG

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 April 2019 at 4:58PM
    Options
    Remember they don't drown easily ! I kept a half full bucket of water handy into which I would throw them but they almost always succeeded in climbing out
    If you put a lid on the bucket, when you take it off you'll probably find all the slugs up there clinging to the lid.
    I don't know whether putting salt or vinegar in the water helps hasten their demise . The problem is that the water still has to be disposed off safely afterwards and where do you pour it without poisoning the soil? That's why I won't use bleach. Also although I hate slugs with a vengeance I still don,t like the idea of them dying in agony.

I have the same dilemma currently with rats where we're suffering an increase in them and are having to put down bait boxes. We found a young rat dying inside one of our bait boxes the other day and it wasn't a pretty sight. But neither do I want them urinating all over my vegetable patch and infecting the soil.
  • euronorris
    Options
    It's very tricky, isn't it? They seem to gather in our watering can, so I can only assume they like a good swim!

I also don't like being mean, so when I spot one now I put it in the green waste bin and kid myself that I've just sent it to Snail/Slug heaven! lol
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I also don't like being mean, so when I spot one now I put it in the green waste bin and kid myself that I've just sent it to Snail/Slug heaven! lol
    I do that!

And I work quite hard at rescuing woodlice, I like woodlice - if I'm sweeping the patio (with a handbrush, because I let it get really dire :o) I wait 5 minutes if I'm throwing it in the bin, so the woodlice can climb out).
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Remember they don't down easily ! I kept a half full bucket of water handle into which I would throw them but they almost always succeeded in climbing out
    If you put a lid on the bucket, when you take it off you'll probably find all the slugs up there clinging to it!
    I don't know whether putting salt or vinegar in the water helps hasten their demise . The problem is that the water still has to be disposed off safely afterwards and where do you pour it without poisoning the soil. That's why I won't use bleach. Also although I hate slugs with a vengeance I still don,t like the idea of their dying in agony.

I have the same dilemma currently with rats where we're suffering an increase in them and are having to put down bait boses. We found a young rat dying inside one of our bait boxes the other day and it wasn't a pretty sight. But neither do I want them urinating all over my vegetable patch and infecting the soil.

Ah, I might not have been clear enough, it's just the lid with that exact intention that they gather somewhere harmless ready for that journey into the woods (because folks chucking them next door is anti-social)

As far as rats go - you need a cat that was born feral - they'll have learnt how to deal with rats, whereas most (I say most) kittens raised in the home find rats a little too feisty

Edited to add: Yep, some lucky slugs get to ride in the green bin here too.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's one of my unfavorite jobs done, the netting over the brassica bed. It's one of the only 2 things my wife and I used to fall out about, now I'm retired I do it on my own.
    ( the other one is the Christmas lights. :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree: in case you're wondering )
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one feeling guilty about pest control. I had to put down bait boxes this morning Primrose as we also have a rat problem and I have been thinking about it all day with a heavy heart. I hate rats but it doesn't feel good killing them.

I wish we could get a farm cat unrecordings as I would much prefer that approach but one of our dogs wouldn't be happy with a cat around. I was thinking of getting a little terrier in the future who I hoped might have the same effect. Growing up we had up to 10 farm cats at a time and we still had a rat problem so I think it depends on the cat (and possibly how well fed they are).

I used to do the same thing with slugs - all you can eat buffet in the green bin. Here annoyingly we don't have green gardening waste bins so I need to find another approach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure