We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    Today is a momentous occasions for me.

I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FIRST SIGNS OF LIFE :)

After planting a whole load of different seeds nearly 3 weeks ago, yesterday evening. I saw the first shoots starting to appearing from my herb tray.

Hopefully, over the next week the rest of the plants will show signs of life and the ones the ones that have no life by the end of next week (4 weeks since planting) I will re-plant new seeds into.

I'm well chuffed this am.

I created LIFE (of sorts) ....lol
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today is a momentous occasions for me.

I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FIRST SIGNS OF LIFE :)

I'm well chuffed this am.

I created LIFE (of sorts) ....lol

:j:j:j I love this!

I got back yesterday from my fortnight's catsitting, and I'm completely shattered, but I did put some lentils in soak to experiment with sprouting. I have a busy weekend up ahead, if I can manage it at all, so no gardening yet.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yay! Great news Pennys! I have some more transplanting to do tomorrow - some of the standard tomatoes, another courgette, pumpkins (though thinking I should just get rid of those as I don't think we realistically have the space for them).

I took a chance on Charlies and ordered the raised planter. It arrived yesterday. Hopefully will get it put together this weekend.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Yay! Great news Pennys! I have some more transplanting to do tomorrow - some of the standard tomatoes, another courgette, pumpkins (though thinking I should just get rid of those as I don't think we realistically have the space for them).

I took a chance on Charlies and ordered the raised planter. It arrived yesterday. Hopefully will get it put together this weekend.

Maybe you could stick a squash in a vertical compost holder and let it tumble down the sides, rather than roam off across the ground. It rather depends on what size squashes you are growing (we did it with courgettes on an arch with some success), but you might have to add extra support to encourage a vertical growing habit.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Maybe you could stick a squash in a vertical compost holder and let it tumble down the sides, rather than roam off across the ground. It rather depends on what size squashes you are growing (we did it with courgettes on an arch with some success), but you might have to add extra support to encourage a vertical growing habit.

Thanks. Have thought about it, but not sure we'll have the space even for that in the garden, once the planter is up and in place. Maybe though. Will definitely keep the courgettes, but the pumpkins were more because I thought DD would like to see them grow and then we'd have our own ready for Halloween. I've asked a neighbour if she would like a seedling or two and she's said yes, so am passing some onto her now (so she can enjoy growing them with her children too) :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't worry Karmacat, you have loads of time to catch up. It sounds like you have been very busy. I have the opposite problem - I have peaked too soon!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Crikey these winds!

Not much happening here. I'm waiting on better weather.
    Painted up some slates, just need to seal them before they go out.
    Greenhouse still in its box LOL

Been thinking about the back garden a bit and attacking that next week. Need to thoroughly prune the bay tree, fuschia and japonica. Old playhouse needs dismantling, and emptying of spare green house glass. Better write myself a list
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bit wet & horrible yesterday & snowing today. Chemo starting again in a few days, so I'll be on the dark side of the moon for a week. Back to sunny/mild by the end of next week hopefully. Yesterday, did a little tidying, and as one hand no longer works, managed to prepare some pots reasonably successfully with one hand - they're all indoors now ready to pop the seeds in - marigolds, two types of chilli and liquorice (second attempt, the autumn sowings failed to germinate). And I have my plant labels ready to clean - a little soap & water to get them nearly clean, then nail polish remover to finish/remove marker pen - I also flex them a little first to see if they're too brittle to re-use

Oh yes & potatoes, Monty Don mentioned first earlies on Friday (repeats on Sundays ?) which reminded me to (plan to) get a bag in the ground sooner rather than later

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My word, unrecordings, you're doing amazingly well with what you're facing. Are you an outpatient for chemo, will you be able to look after your seeds?

I'm taping that Monty Don edition right now :) I've been soaking some lentils for sprouting (I think I've soaked them for too long, some tiny sprouts are rubbing off) and I want to finally plant some kale and chard today.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    It feels like Im really going for it this year. Despite being an allotment holder for the 13th year, some years, I have only really done the bare minimum. Always done strawberries and onions with a little dabble at other things. Since moving allotments and having my dad on board, produce has increased every year and every spring, I am full of "I am going to make the most of every bit of allotment"

OH was good enough to come to the plot the other day in the high winds to help me plant the bits that had arrived from Thompson and Morgan. Dug up my two blueberries that were already in ground but not doing brilliantly and put them in pots with the two new ones so now have four blueberry pots.

Filled some of the gaps in beds of strawberries with the new strawberry plants.

Took out the one dead gooseberry bush and planted new ones so now have four. I dont even like gooseberries:rotfl: but Dad does.

Slotted new raspberries in with my already established ones.

Only thing that didnt come was seeds though Im not too concerned as have enough of everything.

The climbing rose and white grapevine I bought from B&Q the other day are also planted. They have wax around them........not really seen this before? I assume that just comes off as plants grow?

Daughter asked why I didnt get a red grapevine as she prefers red grapes so I bought one from Wilko. Even if the vines take off, I know it will take a long while to see any fruit so its more an experiment than anything.

Need to get my onion sets in and should go today but Im not really feeling it. Cant get motivated.

There are so many things to have a go at growing and just not enough time for everything.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure